RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Built in vs. Stand-alone GPS?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Built in vs. Stand-alone GPS?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are currently shopping for a new tow vehicle. Trying to decide whether or not we want to shell out $750 for a built in GPS. As much as I like having the built-in system and not having another screen on the dash, I'm thinking I could likely get something much more suitable for towing if I spent less money on a stand-alone unit.

Anyone have any thoughts on using built-in GPS units while towing?

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The advantage of the stand alone unit is the ability to use it in any vehicle, especially if you change vehicles often, you can take it with you, even let it run on battery power and take it with you when you go hiking. A stand alone model, you can bring inside your home (or camper) with you and at your leisure program in destination points and plot out traveling routes.

If you get the built in model, it is confined to only the one vehicle it's equipped in, and any programming you do, you'll have to be inside the vehicle to do it. Now ... do you really want to be doing that inside your vehicle when your favorite ball team is on television and it's only minutes from the game ending and the opposing team is ahead by 1 point?

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only benefit I see is one less thing on the dash. I absolutely love the factory navigation in my Ford but it ultimately does exactly the same thing as my Garmin.

The one big benefit for us with the Garmin is I can use it in any vehicle I am in. I hate to admit it but I have become somewhat dependent on navigation. It has become a bit of a safety blanket.

rockylarson

Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2012 built in Magellan is no longer eligible for updates.
It gets less useful every day.
My Garmin RV770 sits in front of it nicely.

Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 25 refuges with 8000 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love the one in my 2018 RAM. It won't fall off the dash, and when your exit is coming up it shows you which lane to be in, plus a display opens up between the gauges when the exit/turn comes up. It goes live to show you backups ahead (lane turns red). The search function has a lot to be desired. Google's way better for that
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS--Now with Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another consideration might be a newer system that supports Android Auto and Apple Carplay. Those systems let you use your phone's GPS.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my T/V didn't come with navigation but your phone will work, but after a trip to Alaska and using the phone we were lost all the time. I finally bought a Kenwood indash navigation unit and really like it it does everything.
Jay D.

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had both (all three really with the cell phone). The in-dash was my least favorite. It was Garmin based and pretty easy to use, but eventually wouldn't accept an update for the maps. It wasn't adjustable as far as viewing angle so the sun would wash it out at times. The cell is good and I use it mainly locally, but the screen is smaller though it is usually the most up-to-date. The stand alone is my favorite. Larger screen than the cell; lifetime maps and so far hasn't refused to update; very easy to use; and I can move it from car to car including rentals if needed. It is a Garmin by the way that I've had about 8 years now. I have to keep it plugged in all the time because the battery is shot, but if I use the cell, I have to keep it plugged in also.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Not sure about the in-dash units, but the big advantage to stand-alones is that the stand-alones (usually) have the maps loaded into the unit itself, rather than having to download from a satellite or internet. Like someone else said, Google, or a cell phone is great, IF you have cell or internet service. If not, it is just a useless hunk of junk. And with most stand-alones, after a bit you can download and install new, up-to-date maps. And, a good, current printed atlas can be a trip-saver! Spend a lot less and get a good 7" unit that is easy to use!

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

If it was guaranteed to be more accurate than a stand alone I'd do it in a heartbeat. My Garmin is always taking me on needless adventures.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Built in vs. Stand-alone GPS?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS