RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Built in vs. Stand-alone GPS?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Built in vs. Stand-alone GPS?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

No, a dual SIM phone just ties you to 2 service providers.

What you want is an eSim with a global service provider.

This allows the phone to switch between different networks and work "locally" in other countries without changing sim cards.

That does work...but it's an expensive solution.

I’m paying LESS now than when I was on a conventional provider.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Edited to shorten.

pnichols wrote:

Hmmm ... if an eSim card can be installed in an iPhone or an Android phone that ties one to a global service provider ... then:

1. Do you then get billed each month by the global service provider ... just like you would if you had a sim card locking your phone to one of the common U.S. providers?

2. If one uses their smartphone only in, say the U.S., but via a global service provider - then are you saying that wherever you are in the U.S. - your phone will connect to whatever specific U.S. providers' cell signal is the strongest at your particular location ... i.e. be it a Verizon tower, or an AT&T towers, or a SPRINT tower, etc. at the time?

If both the answer to both 1. and 2. above is "yes" ... then who are some 4G or LTE global providers that I could switch to, where can I find what plans they offer, and if there our some then WOW .... it seems like a no brainer to set up this kind of arrangement on my upcoming purchase of my first ever smartphone (to be Android based) so as to get best possible cellular signal coverage in the contiguous United States, Alaska, and Canada for RV travels?

(P.S. Unlimited and speed un-throttled from a global provider meeting the above requirements would be the ultimate - but that probably doesn't exist or is extremely expensive if it does exist.)

1. Yes, I get on bill each month.

2. Yes, my phone seeks out and jumps to the strongest signal, regardless of carrier. Every phone already jumps to the strongest signal, but only within the network it’s locked to, unless roaming. My phone is in a perpetual state of “roaming”.

I use GlobalSIM, I’m told there’s others, I just don’t know who they are. Global is the biggest.

It’s not expensive, I have 2 permanently assigned phone numbers (in my case one 416, one 305, both of which are always ‘live’) unlimited calling (no roaming charges, no long distance), texting and data (never throttled, no tethering restrictionists) almost anywhere in the world for $75 / month.

Thanks for your information follow-through .... I'm learning a lot, but it sure seems like a lot of research is going to be required if I want to break away from the comfort of good old Verizon (with it's expensive, limited full speed with unlimited data, good but not perfect, etc., coverage).

By the way, I notice that the GlobalSIM's coverage map seems to show vast areas of no coverage in Western U.S. places where we like to travel in our RV. Unless I'm interpreting the GlobalSIM's coverage map wrong - pure Verizon coverage my be better or at least easily equal GlobalSIM's coverage. I thought providers like GlobalSIM offered service that would jump between U.S. networks so as to automatically use the strongest signal ... hence easily providing service coverage well beyond what the Verizon-only coverage map shows?

Here's the GlobalSIM coverage map - which seems to show large poor/no coverage areas in the Western U.S.:
https://www.globalsim.co/coverage/

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw that too, but routinely see that my phone is on the Verizon network, and have good service in those ‘black areas’.

I suspect the map is just out of date.

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

...All modern phones have a built in GPS that doesn't require a cell signal to locate the phone...

You should have seen me trying to explain that to the pimply faced nerd (geek squad) employees at Best Buy. They argued with me that having Copilot GPS app/maps loaded on my tablet won't work without a cell signal.

I regularly use my tablet for a GPS. My tablet doesn't have cellular capability.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

I regularly use my tablet for a GPS. My tablet doesn't have cellular capability.

iPads don't have GPS unless you get the one with cell service.
I know because we have one of each in the familly.
Other flavors of tablets might have GPS.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

beemerphile1 wrote:

Adding GPS to a WiFi only iPad is easy & cheap..

I do the same thing, on-board GPS (terrestrial and aviation both) database files make for a really great big screen navigation unit.

GPS Thingy, clicky, clicky.

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Adding GPS to a WiFi only iPad is easy & cheap..

I do the same thing, on-board GPS (terrestrial and aviation both) database files make for a really great big screen navigation unit.

GPS Thingy, clicky, clicky.

I bought this the year it came out.
https://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/19 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

...All modern phones have a built in GPS that doesn't require a cell signal to locate the phone...

You should have seen me trying to explain that to the pimply faced nerd (geek squad) employees at Best Buy. They argued with me that having Copilot GPS app/maps loaded on my tablet won't work without a cell signal.

Not sure about Co-Pilot (but I suspect it's the same), but Google Maps does not need cellular data as you can download your entire route with any available wifi before you leave on your trip. I recommend using data while you travel using your phone hotspot or MiFi device (your tablet does have WiFi capabilities) as this will also give you live, real time, traffic updates which can save you hours of drive time if there is a bad accident ahead. Stand alone GPS units cannot do this unless you are connected to WiFi or you are near a big city broadcasting the FM traffic signal.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

imgoin4it

Alamogordo, NM USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/19 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the stand alone unit (we use Garmin) because I can take it to my recliner , recline and plan the trip..

Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 11:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

beemerphile1 wrote:

How old are these ipads?

You can't find an android tablet without GPS anymore.

I know apple was slow to adopt it as standard as they were trying to use it as an option to increase price but I thought they gave up after it became an expectation even on cheap $50 tablets.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Built in vs. Stand-alone GPS?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS