RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Upgrade V-10 to Turbo?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Upgrade V-10 to Turbo?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ther is a 30 ft v-8 powered RV with Banks power in this neihborhood. About a 1991 Southwind. Chrome insignia on LF fender.

Banks has a kit for the V-10 already.

STBRetired, thanx. Just the answer I needed.

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildmanbaker wrote:

Rich, where are you finding these parts? Then there is the balance problem.

I couldn't find stroker crank for the V10. I suspect the 4.165 crankshaft on the V10 mostly fill the crankcase.
All the other stuff is readily available.

Or are you talking about my 528?

Richard

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

RLS7201 wrote:

Maybe you could do to your V10 like I did to my 460 Bounder. Add a stroker crank, RV cam, raise the compression ratio, Banks exhaust & a tuner. Never too much HP...................

Richard

The only thing I know of that is available are cams........and they cost around $1000! A crank would be custom. Performance Pistons and rods from a 5.4 are a direct fit. No aftermarket heads available, and again head work would be pricey and not worth it for the minimal gains they would give!

But it's all about the fun and the challenge. Some of us gearheads never outgrow "more HP & Torque". Don't you waste money on some fun?

Richard

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

RLS7201 wrote:

Maybe you could do to your V10 like I did to my 460 Bounder. Add a stroker crank, RV cam, raise the compression ratio, Banks exhaust & a tuner. Never too much HP...................

Richard

The only thing I know of that is available are cams........and they cost around $1000! A crank would be custom. Performance Pistons and rods from a 5.4 are a direct fit. No aftermarket heads available, and again head work would be pricey and not worth it for the minimal gains they would give!

But it's all about the fun and the challenge. Some of us gearheads never outgrow "more HP & Torque". Don't you waste money on some fun?

Richard

Oh ya, I am a gear head. Always have been and always will be. I've had several mustangs and a big block 'Cuda with nitrous. But the V-10 is a workhorse and it takes a lot of money to get real HP out of it. Once you get the power now you have to beef up everything behind it. If it's in a MH leave it be so it stays reliable! The only thing I'm going to be doing is to add a Tuner, and that's for the improved shift strategy and to improve the lazy drive by wire system.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RLS7201 wrote:

wildmanbaker wrote:

Rich, where are you finding these parts? Then there is the balance problem.

I couldn't find stroker crank for the V10. I suspect the 4.165 crankshaft on the V10 mostly fill the crankcase.
All the other stuff is readily available.

Or are you talking about my 528?

Richard
The V10. If there was a stroker crank, there would be balance problems. The V10 has a balance shaft in the driver side head now.

Wildmanbaker

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Upgrade V-10 to Turbo?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS