|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> pressure washers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/19 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only use a pressure washer on the underside of the fiver after I return from the beach. All that salt air from the sea breeze gets into everything.

I will do the frame, spare tire hanger, inside of the wheels, discs, Morryde IS, ...... basically anything under. i will not use it on the exterior

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stargirl96 wrote:

Do any of you use a pressure washer to clean your RV? Is it harsh on the finish and decals?
Driving in the rain at freeway speeds is much harsher than a pressure washer spray from 1 foot away.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

stargirl96 wrote:

Do any of you use a pressure washer to clean your RV? Is it harsh on the finish and decals?
Driving in the rain at freeway speeds is much harsher than a pressure washer spray from 1 foot away.

I'll say not even close on this one.
That water is coming out at a lot more than 70 mph, lol.
Think about it, a 2500psi + pressure washer. Pretty much any model with a gas engine will peel your skin off with a narrow angle tip, instantly.
But you could drive with your head out the window in the rain and it'll just sting. (Wear glasses if yur gonna try this, lol)

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless using a high pressure Hotsy, pressure washers usually don't get all the residue off. Unless using a real good foam/soap, then maybe.
If you're good with getting it "80% clean" that's fine, but most of the time it takes a brush, sponge, something to get truly clean.
Household Pressure washer is good for getting the heavy dirt, mud, sand etc off to minimize scratching but usually not a 100% clean solution.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

wopachop wrote:

stargirl96 wrote:

I'll say not even close on this one.
That water is coming out at a lot more than 70 mph, lol.
Think about it, a 2500psi + pressure washer. Pretty much any model with a gas engine will peel your skin off with a narrow angle tip, instantly.
But you could drive with your head out the window in the rain and it'll just sting. (Wear glasses if yur gonna try this, lol)

Ive ridden motorcycles in the rain. Doing 30....40...50mph those droplets hurt!! I also have a gas pressure washer and use it all the time. From 1 foot away the blast is mostly air and mist. Very gentle and doesnt hurt.

I think it comes down to the mass of the water droplets.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a pressure washer but have never used it on the rig - don't see why it's required and have always found the extendable RV washing brush sufficient.

Kevin

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/19 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use an electric pressure washer but have never found out how to make the soap dispensers work which would be nice to have when washing an RV.
I have even used it on the roof which should be done first because the roof `crud' flows down the sides of the RV.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used the Simoniz floor washer kit to clean my deck. Works great on the TT roof.
Simoniz

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would never use a pressure washer on my RV. RV's are prone to leaks as it is. A decent pressure washer can do some serious damage if directed at the wrong place. I have an electric one with only 1500 psi and if I am not careful on the house it can remove small bits of the mortar between the brick. Imagine what that can do to the gel coat, paint, decals and caulk on an RV. And I don't see the advantage. What's a pressure washer with a cone of a few feet from distance going to do that a long handle brush won't? And the idea that the psi from a pressure washer is even close to being comparable to driving in the rain is ridiculous. If you don't believe me, spray yourself in the face with your pressure washer - seriously, don't do that. Of course it all depends on the distance your using it. 5 feet away it probably wouldn't matter. Within 2 feet I'd say you are asking for trouble. I use a long handle soft brush and a regular hose.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are too close the pressure washer will definitely do damage. I think a full powered stream would cut right through a fiberglass panel. If you move far enough back to be safe, you might as well just use a garden hose with a good nozzle.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> pressure washers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS