|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 4 year old Forest River vent covers already failed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trailer is a FR Stealth Toy Hauler. Believe its a 2016 and i got it used a couple years ago. I noticed the roof vent covers were already discolored, brittle, and almost looked furry when the trailer was only 2 years old. They developed small chips and cracks. Seemed like they deteriorated so much faster than my friend's trailer thats a 2003 Warrior and still has the original vents. That trailer sits outside uncovered 24/7. (same with mine)

Does Forest River just use extra cheap products? Imagine there can only be so many manufactures of trailer vents.

Big storm here and went down to the trailer yesterday. Found a vent cover on the ground broke into pieces. I got lucky and judging by the small puddle in the trailer it must have just blown off.

Waiting for sunlight to go down and check on my temp repair. Big heavy blanket in a trash bag with bricks holding it down.

I might finally invest in a MaxAir vent cover for the broken vent. But should probably replace the other 2 vents. I have duct tape on them covering the small holes.

A buddy suggested "heavy duty" vent covers on amazon. I have not searched yet. Curious what brand vent cover you guys/gals would recommend? Also wonder what online trailer shops have the best deals?

There are a couple RV supply shops up here. I try to support them and buy my propane there. Have bought other little parts there over the years. Can give them a call to price check once i learn the brand of vent cover to seek out.

Thanks for any advice!!

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The MaxAir covers are your answer. 185,000mi on 2 Tiffin coaches with those covers and NEVER had a problem. They still look and feel new on the present coach (110k miles)

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forest River uses the same vent manufacturers as everyone else, Camco or Ventline are the most prevalent. The sun beats them up pretty good. At the parts store where I work, we sell a hundred or so every season.

MaxAir vent covers do help, and they are a little beefier plastic than the vent lids, but the sun will still degrade the plastic and they are more expensive than vent covers. One advantage to MaxAir covers is that if you park inside or nose into the prevalent wind, you can leave the vent open a crack and vent the inside of the camper in storage.

When you go to the parts store make sure you bring one of the old covers. There are 5 different types of hinges.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so far.
So the white color maxAir covers will still yellow?
Im fine with black, just wont match the AC covers.
But im definitely into function over fashion.

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Maxxair covers were the first thing i installed on my last 3 RVs. I never had a problem with any of them, and it allows me to keep the vents open 24/7. Any plastic will eventually fail due to sun exposure, but ive had these for up to 12 years without a problem.

Replacing the current lids is easy. Unscrew the lifting mechanism form the vent,slide it off the vent lid. Go on the roof, flip the lid up and remove. Thats it! Installation is reverse.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/19 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The white Max Airs will hold up pretty well. You also have the option to paint them with a high quality rattle can paint for plastic. The paint will help for discoloring and UV protection.

Jerry

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First see what type vent lid you have using this
[image]

For long lasting vent covers Polycarbonate ones are the ones you want.

If you haven't done this before Here is a short video that will help you.

You may need a new seal that goes on the metal edge this will make it a tight seal This is what you need

Replace like this

Maxx Air covers are also a good Idea,mine have been on for 9 years and look good as new.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who knows why some of the covers fail UV days. Our bedroom vent cover totally disintegrated in the first year, under the Winnebago warranty, but for $10 cost, it was not worth even moving the MH to the dealer.
I added MaxAir covers at that time, just for double protection, glad I did. About 6 or 7 years later, I noticed that the vent cover that I had replaced was in pieces on the screen , but the bed was still protected by the MaxAir cover.
Interesting, the vent covers for the bathroom and overhead bunk are still the 2006 originals. Yes all have the MaxAir covers.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfkmk wrote:

The Maxxair covers were the first thing i installed on my last 3 RVs. I never had a problem with any of them, and it allows me to keep the vents open 24/7. Any plastic will eventually fail due to sun exposure, but ive had these for up to 12 years without a problem.

Replacing the current lids is easy. Unscrew the lifting mechanism form the vent,slide it off the vent lid. Go on the roof, flip the lid up and remove. Thats it! Installation is reverse.
The very first thing I do after buying a new RV is cover the vents with the Maxxair covers. They're made a entirely different material than the original vent covers. They don't turn yellow with age and don't get brittle from the sun. I don't see installing them as optional, to me they're MANDATORY if you don't want to find a lot of damage when the originals age out after a couple of years.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

mchero

Henniker, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We full time thru the winter. Covers are a must with snow.

Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 4 year old Forest River vent covers already failed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS