|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> suggest a heated mattress cover

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my wife is always cold. we have a true queen in our TT. is there a heated mattress cover that will run on 12v? or do i need to get an inverter to power it off grid?

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvshrinker wrote:

or do i need to get an inverter to power it off grid?
I've not seen a 12v one nor would I want one, as you should have a 120v outlet near the bed. Make sure it's a pure sine inverter. The controls don't like cheap inverters.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A modest 5 amp electric blanket means 50 amps at 12 volts. That would pull down an averaged sized battery to half power every hour of use.

Another option is hot water bottle(s). There are some really reliable heavy duty models available through Amazon. They will put out heat most of the night.

dcmac214

SW OKLA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a mattress cover but there are 12V blankets & throws available and they're pretty reasonable. Lay over the top sheet under the blanket/quilt/whatever, turn it on a half hour before going to bed.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only company I’m aware of that makes a 12v mattress pad is Electrowarmth. At one time they made twin and queen sized mattress heaters, but I think they were pushing the limits of the 12v cigarette lighter plug because they discontinued the queen size several years ago. They still make the twin size, and it’s intended to be used in the sleeper bunk of a semi.

I actually have one of their old queen mattress heaters, and it still works very well. However, I cut the plug off the cord and hardwired it to its own CB several years ago because the plug was getting too hot. When we travel in the winter time, I turn it on while we’re on the road to keep the mattress warm. Much nicer than crawling into a freezing bed at night.

If mine ever dies on me, I’ll replace it with a 120v model, and run it from my inverter. Electrowarmth makes 120v models as well, and it might be one of theirs. We have a 120v mattress heater at home, and it works well too. I like them much better than electric blankets. The heat is where I need it at night. Under me, rather than on top.

Mattress heaters and electric blankets are like microwaves now, most all of them have digital controls, and they don’t tend to like cheap, MSW inverters.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been using Electrowarmth heated mattress pads for about 20 years and love them. The queen pad in our motorhome is about 10 years old now, and has worked flawlessly. We have a 120 volt version. Electrowarmth does make 12-volt pads, but they're better suited to the narrow bunks used in truck sleepers, etc.

Electrowarmth.com

Electrowarmth Heated Dual-control Olympic Queen-size Electric Mattress Pad

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

A modest 5 amp electric blanket means 50 amps at 12 volts. That would pull down an averaged sized battery to half power every hour of use.
My 120v Sunbeam mattress pad is rated 2 halves at 180w each.

That sounds scary, but there are 10 heat settings, and #1 or 2 is all I've ever needed. The heat cycles - it's not on all the time - and overnight it uses very little power.

If you turned this thing up past 3 you'd cook yourself.

* This post was edited 11/29/19 10:26am by 2oldman *

rvshrinker

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the inverter looks like more trouble than I’m willing to go to right now (we don’t have a generator, when we boondock we just don’t use the microwave but can use everything else - lights, USB plugs, etc).

How about a heated blanket that charges on USB? I could charge it in the tow vehicle during the day (while driving), then she could put it in the bed in the evening. Though some days we don’t drive far enough to charge one.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvshrinker wrote:

the inverter looks like more trouble than I’m willing to go to right now .
It's very little trouble if you plug your shore cord into it. Turn off the converter, bingo, everything works.
rvshrinker wrote:

ow about a heated blanket that charges on USB? I could charge it in the tow vehicle during the day (while driving), then she could put it in the bed in the evening.
USB is what, 5 volts? I wouldn't count on that working too well.

rvshrinker

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Realize the inverter conversation is its own topic, but the shore cord is outside, wouldn't the inverter be inside? How do you connect them?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> suggest a heated mattress cover
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS