|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> suggest a heated mattress cover

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvshrinker wrote:

the shore cord is outside, wouldn't the inverter be inside? How do you connect them?
Ok, I guess you must have a socket on the outside of your coach with a removable cable. Is there a hole somewhere you can use? My inverter is wired directly to the 120v panel.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you tried non-electric solutions? Self heating options like sherpa, plush, microfiber, etc.

I have an electric mattress pad at home. In the campers, I have good quality microfiber sheets (Cosy House 1500 or 1800 series), plush blankets, and faux fur/sherpa comforters. They provide a self heating bed - holding my body heat in. And the microfiber sheets don't get as cold as cotton, so you don't have a major shock if you move your feet around during the night. You can also try a sherpa mattress pad (unheated).

If you are going right from driving to bed, a 12v electric throw blanket would work to heat the bed. But it won't keep the bed warm all night. And if you don't go right to bed, you'll have to go back to the vehicle at bedtime, start it up, warm the blanket and rush it to the bed. Not really practical long term.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think she’d be happy with something that warms up the bed before she gets in. Doesn’t need something all night.

doxiemom11

Somewhere between MI and TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Non-powered solution. Get a memory foam topper (you could get twin for her side only) and it holds body heat. Keeps me toasty on the coldest of nights. Flannel sheets are a plus too.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My twelve volt electric blanket draws 5 amps. No problem running it all night on a battery--but one needs a way to recharge the next day.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to stick with a 12v mattress heater, I see no reason why you couldn’t use one or two of the Electrowarmth twin sized bunk warmers. They aren’t fitted like a typical bottom sheet, they just cover the top of the mattress. One could be layed down the middle, and that might provide enough of a warm spot for two. Or, lay it across the mattress, either in the foot area or the chest area. The bunk warmer is 60” long, and a standard queen mattress is 60” wide.

Another thing I’ve considered doing is buying two of the bunk warmers, and sewing them together to make a dual zone queen mattress heater. It would be wider than a queen mattress, so you’d have 5-6 inches hanging down each side, but as long as you don’t overlap them I don’t see that as a problem. I’d probably start with one and see if that would work. They’ll work best if you still use a heavy blanket or comforter on the bed, otherwise the heat just rises off the pad and the mattress never gets really warm.

They claim a 6.2 amp current draw on the 12v bunk warmers, which is probably accurate since my queen size warmer draws about 7 amps. They cycle off/on even on the highest setting though, so the actual current draw is more like 50% of that. You probably won’t want it on the highest setting while sleeping.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone. Again only she needs something, not me, and only until she gets in bed, not all night. She just doesn't want to get into a Cold bed. So the question is if this will work off grid for an hour in the evening for several nights in a row without draining much of our battery.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/19 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You shouldn't even need a full hour. Either the mattress pad or an electric throw will heat up within a few minutes. Turn it on when she goes to change for bed and it will be warmed. The throw blanket will be less expensive and can be used in the vehicle also.

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 120 volt one works fine on a cheap Harbor Freight modified sine wave inverter. I run it for about half an hour before getting into bed. I rarely use it while sleeping. Only if it's super cold out.

When I get up to pee in the middle of the night, I turn it on so the bed will be warm when I come back [emoticon].

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Naio,

I think you got lucky. Many electric blankets won't tolerate a MSW inverter. It may let out the magic blue smoke.

Heating pads are a different beast and often work with MSW.

Naio wrote:

My 120 volt one works fine on a cheap Harbor Freight modified sine wave inverter. I run it for about half an hour before getting into bed. I rarely use it while sleeping. Only if it's super cold out.

When I get up to pee in the middle of the night, I turn it on so the bed will be warm when I come back [emoticon].

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> suggest a heated mattress cover
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS