RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Have no electrical power and no propane on one side of coach

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Have no electrical power and no propane on one side of coach

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The other day I started the coach as the batteries were low and let it run for about 15 minutes. I also Reset the a/c out 1 and 2 on the inverter and when I checked the bathroom lights, they came on.

Since you apparently 'fixed' it once, your issue seems to be easier to decipher. It would appear resetting the inverter, (if I read your post correctly) fixed it the first time. Check those and see if they need to be reset again. If so, you'll need to find out why they are tripping. First place I'd look would be at your friends' pedestal. Many people, electricians as well, don't understand or use the correct equipment when installing RV pedestals in their homes. The suggestion of running off your generator is good advice. Your batteries need to be fully charged also....Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

majordad

carson city, nv

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/19 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turning on the generator has given me back the missing power, so do you think the transfer switch is failing. We are in a rest area 150 miles from the New Mexico border and heading home.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/19 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

majordad wrote:

Turning on the generator has given me back the missing power, so do you think the transfer switch is failing. We are in a rest area 150 miles from the New Mexico border and heading home.

bad or possibly loose or corroded connections. that would certainly explain the power loss.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 04:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot about this true story.... When I was "Stuck" in GA for a while I made a few friends. One of them knocked on my door to tell me his neighbor had no electric in half his coach (His was wired so L-1 fed one side L-2 the other) As we walked back to the problem coach I ask if he had an INVERTER.. he did not know.

He unlocked a compartment. the battery bay.. So I had him unlock the one next to it. Sure enough there was a very nice inverter (Tripp-Lite) and one of the breakers was TRIPPED.. I reset. he went inside and his wife ask "Does he think he can help" the husband said "He's already fixed it" and so I had.

NO as for the Propane... Can't help you there.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

majordad wrote:

bad or possibly loose or corroded connections. that would certainly explain the power loss.
The cord plug is another likely candidate for failure.

The best way to know is to check the voltages and isolate the problem.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stop by a CG and plug in. Unless you're unlucky enough to find two pedestals that are bad, you'll know if the issue is in your rig or your friends pedestal. In answer to your question, yes, transfer switches can go bad although rarely. Easy to check but you have to know what you're doing...Dennis

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

The cord plug is another likely candidate for failure.

The best way to know is to check the voltages and isolate the problem.
I'll amend that statement as it's second best.

The best solution is to use a EMS like the PI HW50C. With it's display you can check the incoming voltage, amps, etc.

But most important IMHO is that a open or partially open 50A neutral can/will cause high smoke letting out damage to the electrical devices. The HW50C checks and doesn't connect and checks and disconnects when a problem is detected.

Every 50A RV should have one. I also had one experience with 160V on a 30A pedestal that occurred at night. RV power was shut off and I ran to the pedestal to unplug.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

majordad wrote:

I think it might be the 30/50 adapter. Check voltage on the main 50 amp breakers in the main panel. Post the results.

I have read about a propane detector that may cut off propane and may need power applied to get the propane moving. Check and post the battery voltage while you are poking around. If battery voltage is good check for 12 volt power at the 12v distribution panel to verify the stack of fuses are same as battery voltage.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

majordad

carson city, nv

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/19 12:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Made it home safely, when I got to where we needed the heater, I found a wire hanging off the propane tank that apparently went to the gauge panel to tell me how full the tank is. Got home and plugged coach back in to my 110 plug and all seems to be working now. Will have to check the power connection next trip to Texas.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the update.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Have no electrical power and no propane on one side of coach
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS