|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> jack pads

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are here in the Mohave. It almost sees the sand is quick sand.
I have some large sections of 2"x12" for jacl pads but haven't put them under the jacks. Figured the sand etc was good enough.
We hada lot of rain last night and the jacks sunk more than usual.
Several RV Dealers around but all they have are those orange waffle like pads with solid on one side. Totally inadequate and have destroyed a couple sets of them over the years. Still have four in the compartment, for some reason.
I don't feel like driving hundreds of miles knowing I'm not going to find any better.
Cutting boards seems reasonable idea if I can find some thick enough.
38,000 lbs. Anyone found some really substantial tough not brittle plastic cutting boars at a Dollar store, Wal Mart or some place like that or any optionsat home Depot etc???

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not use the orange waffle pads until they break? They should tide you over for a while.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was in Miss on the gulf shore and needed something. I went to a job site that had some engineered wood beams holding up a new house. I got two pieces of "scrap" 4" X 12" X 14" long. They said take what you want but I only took the two. They work fine when I need them.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That’s what sand does if it gets super saturated.
What’s wrong with the 2x12s? Cut them into 1-2’ lengths? Double them up? Cut up some 3/4 plywood? Double it up?
You’re leveling a 38klb rig presumably? Can’t think of a large enough stack or cutting boards to be rigid enough.
Lumber is your easiest, cheapest, bestest option here, imo.
How big a surface area are the moho jacks? Like 6” diameter? 12”x12” will reduce the ground pressure to less than 25% of 6”

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2x12s will break on this soil. Work fine on hard surface though. The plastic orange ones will simply bend and sink,which won't help any. Found some made by dica. 18 inch 11/2 inch thick unbreakable, 70.00 each anywhere so far on the internet.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2x12s will break on this soil. Work fine on hard surface though. The plastic orange ones will simply bend and sink,which won't help any. Found some made by dica. 18 inch 11/2 inch thick unbreakable, 70.00 each anywhere so far on the internet. Really don't want to spend that much but....
AND no this is not a commercial for them. No experience with them.

doxiemom11

Somewhere between MI and TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have used chunks of 4X4 cut to the appropriate size. Tried other wood chunks and they always cracked and broke.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

38000 lbs is beyond my experience level, But I wonder if you could go to HD and buy a 4x8 sheet of inch thick plywood ($20). Have them cut it into eight 2x2ft squares. Then stack the squares into four pads 2 inches thick. Obviously move the coach a bit so the wood is not trying to bridge the previous holes left by the sinking leveler pads. When done camping wither burn the pads or pack them with you.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I derived a method from my boat storage lessons learned & applied it to the landing leg support. Those Lego things are stupid & expensive in my mind.

My method it to buy 2X4s, cheap warped ones good enough, cut them into about 8" length & make cribbing, screwed together 3 stack, 6", high. More or less doubles the leg footprint & lasts for hundreds of cycles of use. They also come in handy for rig support if have to jack it up & transfer the weight. A good base for bottle jack too.

After about a 6 year life cycle they make fine firewood for one last use.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had a piece of 2x12 sandwiched between 1" plywood for about 12 years...the same ones and there still going strong. One suggestion I heard long ago was to use those unbreakable cutting boards...never did try it but sounds interesting. Oh, my Vogue weights more so what I describe above really works. Like you, I have gone through those plastic ones but they do work on asphalt surfaces where you don't want your jacks to sink into it.

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie and Potter
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> jack pads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS