|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> jack pads

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/19 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made mine from a nylon bathroom divider that my local YMCA was throwing out when they remodeled the men's room. They were about 1.25 in thick so I cut 12"x 12" for the jacks and 12"x 24" to go under the tires. Still use them 15 years later. Also made some for home use from 2 layers of 3/4 in oak pallet wood where the second layer was 90 Degrees to the first. The pad is much stronger when the fibers of the wood are 0-90 to each other and won't crack. Screwed together and painted to keep them from rotting too quickly.

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used the same blocks for years. They are made up of 2 4x4's sandwiched between 3/4" plywood squares. Remember that plywood is stronger with the grain turned 90 degrees from the 4x4's. I have been in situations where the ground is unstable and the blocks press into the soil, to a certain degree. The jacks may have to be adjusted to compensate after a day or two.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/19 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

down home wrote:

The 2x12s will break on this soil. Work fine on hard surface though. The plastic orange ones will simply bend and sink,which won't help any. Found some made by dica. 18 inch 11/2 inch thick unbreakable, 70.00 each anywhere so far on the internet. Really don't want to spend that much but....
AND no this is not a commercial for them. No experience with them.
Can they be doubled up with second layer rotated 90 degrees? Tripled?

Probably could but I'm not at home. Cutting multiple pieces of treated 1" plywood and gluing and screwing three pieces together I'm pretty sure would work especially if I could find plywood laminated out of oak not jut the last venner. I haven't seen any in years but understand it would break the bank. If the handle factory is still running I might be able to talk them out of some hickory pieces to put between the plywood. That stuff is so hard it ruins bits and blades.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

down home wrote:

The 2x12s will break on this soil. Work fine on hard surface though. The plastic orange ones will simply bend and sink,which won't help any. Found some made by dica. 18 inch 11/2 inch thick unbreakable, 70.00 each anywhere so far on the internet. Really don't want to spend that much but....
AND no this is not a commercial for them. No experience with them.
Can they be doubled up with second layer rotated 90 degrees? Tripled?

Only way to go, , although I used four 2x6's pressure treated , two side by side slight gap, then two rotated 90 degrees screwed together , with a strap connected to them to carry etc. Best pads so far . I found anything much bigger then 2x6 single layer will break unless on a hard flat surface.

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/19 11:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 4 sets of plastic blocks. Never bought one of them. 2 were freebies from the dealer when we bought new rigs. One was a door prize at a RV show, and one was a gift.
I stopped carrying wooden blocks and now just use the plastic, with 12x18 plywood on the bottom in soft soil. The wooden blocks soak up water and get heavier.
If the plastic gets muddy, it's easy to wash them off and they don't get heavier. Plus being interlocking they are more secure.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used some composite fascia board left over from a deck project. Cut them to 12X12 and tripled them up.

At Ho D

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> jack pads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS