RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What do you do for condensation inside cabinets?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What do you do for condensation inside cabinets?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or since it’s a diy conversion, if you go full hippie and put a small wood stove in it for heat, that will dry things out as good as a dehumidifier.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you, everyone, for all the helpful suggestions! I think my solution is going to involve a bit of everything.

I ordered a small dehumidifier, and some damp rid type stuff. I picked up a tiny heater at a thrift store. I'm running my big heater, with a window and the roof vent open, for about 6 hours a day, some in the morning and some in the evening. I'm keeping the cabinet doors open. The weather has improved a little, but not a lot.

The insides of my cabinets are finally dry!

The weather has improved a little, but not a lot. I think the thing that tipped me over into problem land was that I tried to dry my wet rain clothes, and a couple pieces of wet laundry, in front of the heater with the roof vent closed. Now I know better.

Long-term, I might make some structural changes to the cabinets. And I was planning to build more cabinets next summer, so now I know that I need to incorporate air circulation into the new ones!

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

msmith1.wa

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the outside metal of the van is the back side of the cabinet some ridged or even reflectix type insulation would help.

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What do you do for condensation inside cabinets?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS