RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV storage - how much room is needed?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV storage - how much room is needed?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks good from here--that's a lot of room to maneuver. You should have no problem at all.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be good for backing with the width of the road available to. If you need more space to get things straight, you may be able to put a culvert in the ditch across the road to allow you to pull forward further once you are in the driveway.

If you want to be able to put slides out inside the shed, you are going to eat up your space fast. You’ll have to park 4ft off the wall to clear the poles.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

f150camper

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everybody!
Got the picture posted also, finally! Thanks for the link and instructions!

I am generally good backing up the trailer, have helped others in the campground on occasion. I just never backed it into a shop, and spending this much money, I want to be sure.
If I back it in doing a left turn, I will be pushing the trailer uphill, but that should be fine.

What do you guys think would be the longest trailer I could get in there without issues? Also, if I had a total of 50ft (instead of 57), would I still be fine? In that case, I would move the shop a few feet towards the road, giving me more space for firewood storage behind.

One more question: what's that powered trailer mover for $1,200?

Again, thanks a lot for all the help and feedback.

Nights camped 2011: 13 (4 in the old popup) ">
Nights camped 2012: 36
Nights camped 2013: 28
Nights camped 2014: 21

2012 F-150 XLT screw 4x4 HD max tow
2012 Jayco X19H

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe a 16' wide door would help?

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have the room, I would build it far enough back so I could park on the driveway in front of the garage without infringing on the road while hooked up. Just a few reasons; Do you want to have to be all packed and hooked before pulling out? Do you want to worry about having to stop and block the road while going back to close the garage door when leaving? If you want to wash or work on the trailer in the drive you would have to unhook it.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

f150camper

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again!
I would only park the trailer in the shop during the winter (most likely), so once in, once out per year.
The shop will be on our property. When looking at the picture, the back of our house is about 120ft to the left or the shop. The private road in front of the shop wraps around and our driveway is attached to it. The road is used by us and 6 other houses only. In fact, the road itself is on our property, with a right-of-way for our neighbors.
We have a nice RV pad right next to the house also, where the trailer is parked now, and where we plan on having it parked during the summer and before / after trips for loading and unloading.
With the 44ft of gravel between the shop and the road, the rig (trailer + truck) would probably just fit there.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't waste the time and money if you are not going to use it as a garage. My opinion is that there in more damage to an RV during hot summer months than cold and darker winters. My trailer is indoors whenever it is not in use.

I put down marker tape on the floor for guidance when backing in so that the trailer is located where I want it. The idea of a larger door is good so that you can make the fine adjustments with little interference with traffic.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I may have been off on my price a bit but here is one for $1400. Trailer mover

They go up from there. Looks like around $2200. They ca. Be had used for cheaper.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One item that helps backing into a dark hole on a sunny day is a yellow line going from inside the shop out a few feet in front of the doorway, having the shop lit is also a good idea, I have backed enoughh fire engines into dark holes to really apreciate that yellow line for some guidance.

navegator

f150camper

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks a lot to everybody, good input!
Lynnmor, we get a lot of snow here in the winter, I really would like to get the trailer away from that. Also, I'll see how quickly it will be to get it in and out. Maybe we'll always put it in the garage. Would be nice to have the extra parking by the house.
The shop is also not "just" for the TT, the trailer will take maybe 20% of the shop floor. Many more things to go in there - wood splitter, cargo trailer, 3 quads, mower, etc ....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV storage - how much room is needed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS