RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV storage - how much room is needed?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV storage - how much room is needed?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also remember your angle of attack when considering your overhead clearance. If your ground is all flat, then you are fine, of course.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would angle that drive towards the direction from which you want to back in. Straighten it out after you get it in the drive. A 13 foot wide road is nothing and that ditch isn't going to help.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

I wouldn't waste the time and money if you are not going to use it as a garage. My opinion is that there in more damage to an RV during hot summer months than cold and darker winters. My trailer is indoors whenever it is not in use.

I put down marker tape on the floor for guidance when backing in so that the trailer is located where I want it. The idea of a larger door is good so that you can make the fine adjustments with little interference with traffic.

Couldn’t agree more. You will pay for leaving the rig outside in the summer with increased maintenance and reduced resale value.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think your drive is long enough that you should not have problems backing in. I think a wider door would be nice. I have a 32 x 45 shop but the door is 20 feet wide and it gives a lot of room to back in and makes it a lot easier to get a vehicle close to the wall. I have 3 antique cars stored in it and with a narrower door it would be difficult to get my 30 foot Motor Home in beside the cars. I sure like storing the camper inside rather than out especially in the winter even though I used to cover it when I had to store it outside.

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree, 18-20' wide door is nice or 2 doors, big n little if you're not worried about the asthetics of them being symmetrical. Just whatever you do, don't make the little door less than 10' wide. So annoying, have a 8' wide door on our shop and a 9' for the single on our 3 car garage. Can't get the boat trailer in either of them or the truck in the 8' wide door.
No good reason to leave the RV out sun baking in the summer. If you get a lot of snow, you also get a lot of sun. Keeping it out of the sun when not in use is one of the single largest factors in the longevity of the camper exterior.
Other considerations, don't go cheap on running power to the shop. Even if you only need lights and a few outlets, the next owner will thank you.
Make sure your concrete finisher is good. Nothing like cleaning the shop floor or snow melt running the wrong direction.
Epoxy floor coating is very nice too. And it's too easy of you do it before moving in to it.
Windows are great to have some daylight.
Small garage door or double doors on the back could be useful. I built a small room in the corner of the shop that serves as a "shed" for the lawn and garden stuff and it also provides good elevated storage area above it. Doors open out to the back yard.
I could go on....can't wait to build another shop to my own liking.
Previous owners built this one to store their RV and didn't do any of the things I included above as suggestions.
Have fun designing your man cave!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

f150camper wrote:

Thanks everybody!
Got the picture posted also, finally! Thanks for the link and instructions!

I am generally good backing up the trailer, have helped others in the campground on occasion. I just never backed it into a shop, and spending this much money, I want to be sure.
If I back it in doing a left turn, I will be pushing the trailer uphill, but that should be fine.

What do you guys think would be the longest trailer I could get in there without issues? Also, if I had a total of 50ft (instead of 57), would I still be fine? In that case, I would move the shop a few feet towards the road, giving me more space for firewood storage behind.

One more question: what's that powered trailer mover for $1,200?

Again, thanks a lot for all the help and feedback.
I would not personally care for not enough room to straighten out the trailer and truck before entering the garage. Motorhome would not be a problem. The storage area I put my 5er into has enough room for me to straighten the combo out and back in (12 foot width). If you have a 14'wide door it would not be as difficult.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at it through the eyes of a 35' 5er owner it looks to be loads of room. In my indoor storage situation there is a little bit of hook that has to be done inside the building. No big deal with a good spotter using a radio or hand signals.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV storage - how much room is needed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS