RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What jack to have onboard for roadside tire changes?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> What jack to have onboard for roadside tire changes?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Son of Norway

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have managed to travel in my HR for 10 years without ever having a flat or blow-out on the road. I have always carried a 6-ton bottle jack thinking that I would use that and boards as needed if the situation ever occurred.

Today I watched a you-tube video on a blow-out incident and I am embarrassed to admit that I now realize a bottle jack will never work when a front rim with a shredded tire has dug itself down into the shoulder of the road. I suppose what I really should be taking might be a low-profile floor jack?

What do you recommend as the best type of jack to carry for roadside tire changes?

Thanks for your advice.

Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, if you have a leveling system on your coach, use that. I normally do not recommend ever raising the real wheels off the ground, but I do know that it can be done. during the one rear tire blowout we have had, I called my emergence road service to come change it for me. I asked the service person "my jacks or yours", we used mine, then he put a jackstand under the axle for safety, and we lowered onto it. With a dual axle, I don't know. He said that he actually felt better about my jacks than his!

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does your HR have hydraulic levelers? I've used them to raise an axle high enough to get a 20-ton bottle jack under it on occasion.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a working, charged cellphone, a roadside service plan and a credit card.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could also drive the flat tire up onto a 2x6 board or two in order to lift the axle a bit before setting up the jack

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a flat several years ago on the inner dual - before I learned RV tires age out after 7 years.
My MH didn't have levelers.
I called my road service and about 2 hours later Homer and Jethro showed with in a broken down El Camino with their huge floorjack and crossbar wrench. Unfortunately, after they pushed it under my MH, the restricted movement on the handle didn't allow the pump to function so they couldn't use it. I offered my bottle jack which they were able to get under the axle and raise the tire off the ground. They were able to swap tires but as they were tightening the lugs, they put enough torque on the lugnuts to turn the tire causing the tire on the opposite side to turn the other way and the HM came down hard off the jack. They (and I) had forgotten to chock the tires! Lesson learned and disaster was avoided.

If you blow a tire and the wheel digs into the ground, I doubt if you'll be to get anything to raise the wheel at that location because anything you use will just push itself into the ground while trying to push up on the axle. Best to call your roadside assistance provider and let them handle it - hoping Homer and Jethro aren't the ones they send.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you believe that you alone could change a tire of that size?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Son of Norway

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the help. The HR does have levelers, and I always have the cellphone, road service and credit card. I guess I'll just keep the bottle jack and hope that things work out if the time ever comes!

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/19 04:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used the rear leveler, with boards under it, to raise ONE side of the rear axle enough to change a tire. I set the brakes and blocked the front axle so the coach would not roll. Naturally after I had raised the rear axle I put a jack stand under the axle for safety. For the front axle, it is really easy to use the levelers to raise the front axle, insert a jack stand, and do what you need to do.

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bottle jack here.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> What jack to have onboard for roadside tire changes?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS