RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Bent Kingpin?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Bent Kingpin?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jodeb720

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greetings all.

I got a new truck - and a new hitch - thanks to you all for your opinions.

Hooked up the new hitch and the trailer and the world looked good - after some height adjustment.

Things looked good. Until tonight.
As I pulled into Santa Fe on my way back to Denver, I was looking in the rear view mirror and thought the spacing between the bed and the bottom of the 5er was small. So I Pulled into the Motel and stepped back. The entire kingpin looks like it's bent upwards - and had actually bent the front fiberglass nose of the 5er.

I've never seen (let alone heard of) something like this.

Tomorrow I can raise the hitch up - but I don't think that's going to stop the collapse of the kingpin into the nose and eventually it'll hit the bed of the truck.

I have no idea what I'm looking at - if I can risk the 400 miles to Denver.

Since I've never disassembled the plastic around the tongue to figure out what's behind it, I have no idea what i'm getting into (and won't until tomorrow.

It's a Lippert chassis - cougar 244rls 2010

Thanks in advance!

josh

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it were me, I wouldn't go any further until I knew the extent of the problem. It sounds very much like the frame is flexing and bending under the covering in the nose. Either broken welds, or broken frame. You should be able to remove the lower covering and see the issue. But much moving anywhere is going to make it worse.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a lot of documented Lippert frame issues. It sounds like you have a frame failure that many others have experienced and that will require extensive repair and reinforcement. Do a quick search on Lippert frame failures and you’ll have hours of reading to keep you company.

Whatever you do, do not tow it until it is inspected.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep. Frame failure, for sure. Leave it there or put it on a lowboy to bring back to CO to a =good= welding shop that has RV repair experience. Going to have to unskin the front and have the frame repaired and beefed up. Keystone and LCI will just say "so solly". Whatever you do, don't tow it! You could try filing an insurance claim, but they'll almost certainly say it's a manufacturer's defect (which it absolutely is) and won't cover it, but you could try.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/19 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like the other posts, somethings broke and it is not safe to operate. Inspect it and find a good weld shop to do the repair work.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/19 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like others have said, frame issue. Just a side note, it will help when explaining to others if you know the correct terminology. Your "Pin Box" is moving up into the front of the trailer. The "King Pin" is just the part that latches into the hitch. Good luck with the fix.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/19 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would stay put like everyone else has stated... I would have to bet on frame failure just by what you have described..

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

Like others have said, frame issue. Just a side note, it will help when explaining to others if you know the correct terminology. Your "Pin Box" is moving up into the front of the trailer. The "King Pin" is just the part that latches into the hitch. Good luck with the fix.

Good point.
Its rare a pin can be bent but it does happen with heavy OTR rigs and aggressive operators.

Its also rare the pin box is bent on a rv trailer.

What not rare at all is the sub frame where the pin box is attached to the trailer frame gives way for various reasons .
I had this issue with my current trailer in '03 and its not a Lippert made frame.
The fix was normal and was done under a extended warranty plan. The dealer dropped the filon under side.
Then added bracing/modifications/type and size structural materials to my satisfaction and recommendations. Buttoned up the filon under belly.
That was in '03 and 130k-140k miles ago and no issues.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jodeb720

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everybody for the quick replies.

I'm going to raise the hitch height to get the clearance I need to get it to storage and then begin the process of working with lippert and the insurance company to figure out what are the next steps.

I'm close enough that when I need to open up the front to take pictures - I can drive down and back in the same day, get the photos I'm sure they are going to want and go from there.

I will tell you that I don't exceed the tire rating on my 5er. I've had too many years of blow outs to know that going faster than the tire speed rating ends up badly (Blowouts).

The only thing I can think of is fatigue or poor welding and the factory and the welds finally failed. The New Mexico roads had quite a few "bumps" in the road and I'm sure that the whipping motion was more than the welds could take.

Again, Thanks to all!

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jodeb720 wrote:

Thanks everybody for the quick replies.

I'm going to raise the hitch height to get the clearance I need to get it to storage and then begin the process of working with lippert and the insurance company to figure out what are the next steps.

I'm close enough that when I need to open up the front to take pictures - I can drive down and back in the same day, get the photos I'm sure they are going to want and go from there.

I will tell you that I don't exceed the tire rating on my 5er. I've had too many years of blow outs to know that going faster than the tire speed rating ends up badly (Blowouts).

The only thing I can think of is fatigue or poor welding and the factory and the welds finally failed. The New Mexico roads had quite a few "bumps" in the road and I'm sure that the whipping motion was more than the welds could take.

Again, Thanks to all!

Seriously doubt metal fatigue and put my money on inadequate engineering, inadequate materials and just plain cr@ppy build by LCI.

Lyle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Bent Kingpin?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS