RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Bent Kingpin?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Bent Kingpin?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/19 03:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So it's a week later OP. What did you/they find was the problem?

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

jodeb720

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry Guys - OP here.

The trailer is in Santa Fe, NM and I'm in Denver - so I have to plan a road trip down to the storage facility to review what's going on with the pinbox (and thank you for clarification on the correct terminology).

There's been some questions.
1. No, I didn't adjust the connection between the Kingpin (Spindle) and the Pinbox -
2. I've not had a chance to drive down (it's 400 miles) and peel back the plastic (under side around the front compartment and the nose above to get a look at it.
3. Under my bed is all covered in "quality" carpet. But it's a good idea to remove all the wood above the area if they are going to be welding.
4. I reached out to my bro in law who works for an insurance company. Had the nose crashed into the bed and bent it, the bed of the truck, and the trailer would have been covered - since the trailer is considered to be part of the truck - not a separate rider on the insurance polcy - and before someone recommends letting it - It's just not who I am. For someone else, that's an option but it's just my karma.

Depending on the weather (it's not supposed to snow here, but the weather is reporting 5" of snow between here and Santa Fe - but not in Santa Fe - so we'll see how the road trip goes.

My guess is that it will be another week before i go down to peel it all back and assess the damage.

Next will be looking for a quality welder in the greater Santa Fe area.

My alternatives are limited - I could tow it to denver - but how would I get it on a trailer? I don't have enough clearance to back it in. I guess a forklift could do it.

Again, thanks to all of you for your suggestions. It's this place that has helped me over the years and the community has made these types of problems, manageable!

Josh

DesertDogs

Scottsdale

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 10:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please keep us posted.

Considering Solitude 310GK 5th wheel

reluyog

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of years ago I noticed our pin box had been moving forward and back just a little by looking at the fiberglass joint just forward of the pin box area. None of the supporting structure actually bent permanently, but it had been flexing enough to identify a problem. Ultimately I cut out the fiberglass overhang at the front corners, roughly 4' x 4' with a 4" cut off wheel. I added about 250 lbs of 1/4" thick angle iron, and constructed some gussets for the corners where the pin box receiver is located. I decided to bolt everything in with grade 8 instead of welding. I had been carrying too much weight (tools) in the front area of the 5th wheel which caused the issue, plus double towing from time to time.

So if you have your trailer frame re-welded, I would suggest you add to that with some extra steel to strengthen the entire structure.

When I reinstalled the fiberglass panels, I made "L" brackets that allowed me to have threaded holes to attach the panels. Then I used stainless screws and covered the seams with 2" x 1/8" thick aluminum strapping. I also added new insulation and used the aluminum strapping to create a tight (read mouse proof) seal around the pin box.

We have an older Carriage triple axle, and also from Denver. We use a storage facility in the Southern part of Denver metro.

Good luck

Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO14615, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

moe f

ON.

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been anxiously awaiting an update. Is there one ?

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moe f wrote:

Been anxiously awaiting an update. Is there one ?

Go back 3 posts earlier than yours...

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP and anyone else experiencing these failures should be filing complaints with NTSB. It's a road safety hazard and does pay attention to a developing pattern, and could issue a recall.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like many others he will find broken beams and structure, and some welds that let go. From OP profile trailer is 2010 Keystone Cougar 244RLS(I now see that he had that in his original post), so I would be surprised if Lippert helps him. 10 year old trailer looking at 4-5K repair. And it is 400 away, and he is paying storage. Not good! Chris

* This post was edited 01/16/20 09:10am by Me Again *

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

aboatrguy

home

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DOT / NHTSA can be contacted at (888)327-4236 reference #11267716 and tell them you also have a similar failure with an LCI frame. Add your failure to the list and we can get results from an investigation.
My 27' toy hauler has I beam crack 9' on both sides, which allowed the axles to move around under trailer while traveling thru the mountains with my family. The CHP said they woul have been picking us up in pieces if we had continued to the next set of turns. I had LCI and Eclipse RV Manufacturing pay the bill to weld up and get us on the road home, but the next time we went to use it, the A-frame broke apart and was ready to completely fail, which would have been catastrophic. LCI sent an employee in an LCI truck to my business to weld that up too. This caused a lot of other damages to the trailer that they both said they would take care of after they got a dealer estimate, but nothing but crickets since!!!
They need to be taken down to the woodshed and taught a lesson, so lets get as many people to get on board with this to make things right!

jodeb720

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/20 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry for the long lapse between updates, but between the weather between Denver and Santa Fe, NM and covad, it's been a challenge getting back.

I went back the beginning of March, and peeled back the front and found the damage. It's pretty extensive. The pictures I took are not very good.

On another board, I found a similar failure so I'll be reaching out to the 800 number that Aboatrguy posted above.

As best I can figure it out, on highway 40 where the road goes up and down (whipping) it must have caused the pinbox area welds to fail. I think the perimeter welds in the corners (drivers and passenger) failed first (I think they were the weakest welds) and then everying else just collapsed in.

What I didn't see was the welds internally fail - just the perimeter welds. The welds close to the pinbox were solid and it was metal failure not poor welding that was the root cause.

I'm now starting to look for a welder in Santa Fe - so if anybody can recommend one, that would be very helpful. I know i'm going to have to peel everying back outside, but what's not clear is how much I need to remove on the inside to give the welder access from above to really weld this correctly so it doesn't fail, again.

If I was going to try and place blame, I would think the following combination:
1. My new truck (F350) has a stiffer suspension than my 2003 chevy 250.
2. there was more weight than we've had in teh past on the pin - meaning, we had a bunch of pictures and other breakables around the bed over the pin. In the past, we just have the normal clothing and blankets but not 'extras'.
3. The highway had serious drop outs or as we call them on dirt bikes Whoops that you really can't see until you feel them. I'm thinking one of them in NM somewhere before santa fe was the one that did it in.

the good news is once I do this, it'll be better than OEM. Now to find the welder.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Josh

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Bent Kingpin?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.