RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Can my truck tow this?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Can my truck tow this?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
ksnider74

California

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So like any other new person that's bought a travel trailer I probably have put the cart before the horse. So ultimately the question is can I tow this...
I have a 2019 GMC Sierra Elevation DC 4x4 with the tow package and the L84 engine and a 3.23 gear ratio. The limitations are

9400lb Towing capacity
7000lb gvwr
15000 GCWR
3800 GAWR RR
940 tongue weight

The trailer I bought was a 2020 Venture Sport Trek 322VRL with
1010 dry hitch weight
7580 dry weight
8820 loaded weight

So I know that the owners manual for the truck gives specs and limitations and states any trailer must have a WDH and then shows 50%? So can I tow thing or what?

Thank you all in advance and will appreciate any feedback.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksnider74 wrote:

So like any other new person that's bought a travel trailer I probably have put the cart before the horse. So ultimately the question is can I tow this...
I have a 2019 GMC Sierra Elevation DC 4x4 with the tow package and the L84 engine and a 3.23 gear ratio. The limitations are

9400lb Towing capacity
7000lb gvwr
15000 GCWR
3800 GAWR RR
940 tongue weight

The trailer I bought was a 2020 Venture Sport Trek 322VRL with
1010 dry hitch weight
7580 dry weight
8820 loaded weight

So I know that the owners manual for the truck gives specs and limitations and states any trailer must have a WDH and then shows 50%? So can I tow thing or what?

Thank you all in advance and will appreciate any feedback.

You were over at hello.
The trailer, at a loaded weight of 8820 should put about 1200 on the hitch when ready for the road. Plus add 100lbs or so for the WDH.
The trailer itself will be a balancing act, empty weight of 7500, add 40 for a battery, 60 for propane, then figure what you will for water as well as your possessions. For a 32' trailer pack light. It can be done, but you dont have a lot of extra capacity. 50 gallons of water alone will eat 400 of the remaining 1000 pounds of available capacity.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/19 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like you will be over your tongue wt rating, if your receiver is only rated to 940. Your loaded hitch wt could be around 1200 lbs. Otherwise you will likely be near max on other ratings also. You can likely tow it, but it may not be the best experience. Two people towing with the same rig to max, can have different opinions of the experience. One can say towed great, the other scary as hell. The WDH system used can make a difference, when using a maxed out TV.

I'll say give it a try, you already have the truck and trailer. If you aren't comfortable, a 2500 may be in your future, unless the dealer will let you trade down to a smaller trailer.

Jerry

ksnider74

California

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, it'll be a white knuckle drive then? I'm just trying to prevent any damage to the truck or trailer.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/19 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot depends on your towing experience, and confidence. Also towing that set up in busy traffic on the freeway could be a white knuckle tow, where a less busy state black top road at 55 may be okay. They do make after market heavier duty receivers, that may work for you.

Towing that size trailer, even with a 3500, at 70 mph in busy traffic would likely not be a fun experience, if you are new at towing a large trailer. You won't know until you give it a try. To be honest, many people on this forum will say too much trailer for that truck. Much depends on where, and how much you plan to tow.

BTW..welcome to the forum!

Jerry

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/19 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"if your receiver is only rated to 940."

Are you sure? That could be the max without a weight distribution hitch.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksnider74 wrote:

So, it'll be a white knuckle drive then? I'm just trying to prevent any damage to the truck or trailer.
It won't necessarily be a white knuckle drive. The very first thing to address would be a good weight distributing/anti-sway hitch. Second would likely be airing up the tires to max pressure, and consider up grading them to LT tires. I would be fairly concerned about being over the hitch rating. In my mind that's the most likely failure point. You could remedy that by upgrading too.

I would get a more capable towing platform.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

ib516

Canada - soon to be Costa Rica

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm assuming the L84 is a 5.3L? That's a big load for a 5.3L with a 3.23 axle. Yes I know the 8 and 10 speed transmissions make up for the 3.23 to a certain extent, but the 5.3L is going to work it's guts out with that load.

Likely be OK for short trips on flat terrain, but if it's windy or hilly, you're going to spent a lot of time at 5000 RPM or so, and the trans will be doing a lot of shifting.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ Yes, it's the 5.3, and if it has the 3.2 gears, its the 8 speed.
(GM is in this thing now where they have like 5 or 6 engines, 3 trans and 2 different T cases going on in current models, depending on the package)

OP, since you're not experienced at towing and are/will be in mountains unless you don't take it out of your subdivision, it's alot of trailer for that truck. Be careful with your driving techniques, especially on the grades.

That said, that truck will pull that trailer just fine, all day today, tomorrow and 5 years from now. The 8 speed is great for towing and IMO having driven one of them for a couple months (same truck but with a bow tie) and having a 2016 5.3/3.42 6 speed, the new 8 speed makes the 5.3 feel like more than it is, considering it has the least power of the big 3 for the "small" V8s.
Pump the tires up, get the wdh adjusted and have fun camping!

"Likely be OK for short trips on flat terrain, but if it's windy or hilly, you're going to spent a lot of time at 5000 RPM or so, and the trans will be doing a lot of shifting."
This is a true story, other than you can lock out whatever gears you want to, to minimize shifting up n down alot. No different than any naturally aspirated gasser pickup towing a 4-5 ton "wall" down the highway.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

white knuckle drive?? your risking our and your,life every time your on the road.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Can my truck tow this?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS