RV.Net Open Roads Forum: My generac diesel generator only runs with prime button

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> My generac diesel generator only runs with prime button

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
artr1955

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diesel generator only runs with prime button held down model 004270-3.
Oil level and coolant are fine as the breaker and 14 amp fuse. The thing that perplexed me is why it runs about 30 second after running after priming, it will run if holding down the start button.

* This post was edited 12/04/19 11:04am by artr1955 *

Artr1955
Art 15 year old son
1990 31 ft Allegro
2005 Jeep Liberty
two 73 r/75 BMW motorcycles
2002 Kawasaki Voyager

bounder39zman

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/19 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A model # would be helpful; NP65, 75, 80D? QP75D ?

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In general terms, that prime button by-passes some safeties. There is probably something like a low oil pressure switch that wants some attention. OR, you could jumper in the prime circuit and see what breaks first.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

In general terms, that prime button by-passes some safeties. There is probably something like a low oil pressure switch that wants some attention. OR, you could jumper in the prime circuit and see what breaks first.

Matt

At work we used to say the worse the problem gets the easier it is to find.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first thought is fuel filter, with a diesel it's often the fuel filter.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The PRIME button also operates a fuel pump. Now one of two ways

one: A separate pump (often in-tank) that lifts fuel to the main pump on the generator.

2 The main pump but bypassing a relay on the Generator's control board.

Now with in-tank electric (or even in line electric) pumps becoming more and more popular over cam-operated pumps of old. The control board, sensors and that relay are all suspects.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At my job, when one of the diesels doesn’t run right, Someone usually yells out “It’s probably the fuel filter”, and then someone else yells “Either that or the carburettor”
Bunch of comedians at my job.

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since the generator runs while the prime button is pushed, this pretty much rules out a fuel problem. The following is info for a 75D model:

Engine starts then shuts down when Start/Stop switch is released.
I assume that the Prime button ties in with Start/Stop

Engine oil level is low.
Defective Low Oil Pressure Switch.
Defective Coolant Temperature Switch.
Defective Control Module circuit board.
Coolant Level is Low.
Defective Low Coolant Level Switch.
Defective Start/Stop switch.
No A.C. output.
Defective engine control board.

If no A.C output:
Reset main line circuit breaker.
Generator internal failure.

Generac discontinued manufacturing RV generators several years ago, so servicing and obtaining parts will be a challenge.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

bounder39zman

SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/19 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THE PREVIOUS POST PRETTY MUCH COVERS ALL TH POSSIBLE PROBLEMS FOR YOUR SYMPTOMS. THE PRIME BUTTON IS ACTUALLY A PRE-HEAT (GLOW PLUG) SWITCH THAT ALSO RUNS THE ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP TO PRIME THE FUEL SYSTEM. THIS SWITCH WHEN ENERGIZED BYPASSES THE CONTROL BOARD AND APPLYS POWER DIRECTLY TO FUEL PUMP AND RUN SOLENOID. WHEN CRANKING, AS GENERATOR COMES UP TO SPEED AND A.C. VOLTAGE IS PRODUCED, THE CONTROL BOARD TAKES OVER, AND SUPPLIES POWER TO FUEL PUMP AND RUN SOLENOID. THEN YOU RELEASE START SWITCH, AND IT CONTINUES TO RUN, iF THE GEN SHUTS OFF WHEN YOU RELEASE THE SWITCH, THEN YOU LIKELY HAVE A BAD CONTROL BOARD, OR NO A.C. POWER BEING PRODUCED FROM GENERATOR. lIKELY CAUSES OF NO A.C. POWER ARE FIELD BRUSH WORN OUT OR STUCK, NOT CONTACTING ROTOR SLIP RINGS, BAD VOLTAGE REGULATOR, OR (WORST CASE)OPEN OR SHORTED WINDINGS IN GEN ROTOR OR STATOR. YOU CAN"T JUST JUMPER THE GLOW/PLUG/PRIME SWITCH, FOR VERY LONG, OR YOU WILL OVERHEAT GLOW PLUGS AND DESTROY THEM.
THIS IS A VERY DIFFICULT SYSTEM TO DIAGNOSE, AND AS O.P. SAID PARTS ARE GETTING TO BE SOMEWHAT OF A CHALLENGE. IF GEN END HAS GONE BAD (ROTOR OR STATOR) SET IS PROBABLY NOT COST EFFECTIVE TO REPAIR, THE CONTROL BOARDS ARE AVAILABLE, SEVERAL HUNDRED $$, AND MAY BE ALL YOU NEED.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/19 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bounder39zman wrote:

THE PREVIOUS POST PRETTY MUCH COVERS ALL TH POSSIBLE PROBLEMS FOR YOUR SYMPTOMS. THE PRIME BUTTON IS ACTUALLY A PRE-HEAT (GLOW PLUG) SWITCH THAT ALSO RUNS THE ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP TO PRIME THE FUEL SYSTEM. THIS SWITCH WHEN ENERGIZED BYPASSES THE CONTROL BOARD AND APPLYS POWER DIRECTLY TO FUEL PUMP AND RUN SOLENOID. WHEN CRANKING, AS GENERATOR COMES UP TO SPEED AND A.C. VOLTAGE IS PRODUCED, THE CONTROL BOARD TAKES OVER, AND SUPPLIES POWER TO FUEL PUMP AND RUN SOLENOID. THEN YOU RELEASE START SWITCH, AND IT CONTINUES TO RUN, iF THE GEN SHUTS OFF WHEN YOU RELEASE THE SWITCH, THEN YOU LIKELY HAVE A BAD CONTROL BOARD, OR NO A.C. POWER BEING PRODUCED FROM GENERATOR. lIKELY CAUSES OF NO A.C. POWER ARE FIELD BRUSH WORN OUT OR STUCK, NOT CONTACTING ROTOR SLIP RINGS, BAD VOLTAGE REGULATOR, OR (WORST CASE)OPEN OR SHORTED WINDINGS IN GEN ROTOR OR STATOR. YOU CAN"T JUST JUMPER THE GLOW/PLUG/PRIME SWITCH, FOR VERY LONG, OR YOU WILL OVERHEAT GLOW PLUGS AND DESTROY THEM.
THIS IS A VERY DIFFICULT SYSTEM TO DIAGNOSE, AND AS O.P. SAID PARTS ARE GETTING TO BE SOMEWHAT OF A CHALLENGE. IF GEN END HAS GONE BAD (ROTOR OR STATOR) SET IS PROBABLY NOT COST EFFECTIVE TO REPAIR, THE CONTROL BOARDS ARE AVAILABLE, SEVERAL HUNDRED $$, AND MAY BE ALL YOU NEED.

Please turn off your caps lock key. If someone types in all caps and it is over 2 lines long, I skip it. (I didn't read this post.) And I am not alone.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> My generac diesel generator only runs with prime button
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS