|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Gas station guide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
tiffy2000

NH

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The book "Next Exit" is pretty good about listing gas stations that are RV friendly (listed in Red ). I have a 35 ft MH and tow, this past summer I pulled into 4 stations in a row that I couldn't get into the pumps . Most new stations are being built with the pump lanes heading into the stores, makes it very tight to impossible to get in/out of the pumps.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/19 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tiffy2000 wrote:

The book "Next Exit" is pretty good about listing gas stations that are RV friendly (listed in Red ). I have a 35 ft MH and tow, this past summer I pulled into 4 stations in a row that I couldn't get into the pumps . Most new stations are being built with the pump lanes heading into the stores, makes it very tight to impossible to get in/out of the pumps.

This is the issue I watch out for. I also find this with many Pilot stations - as they are often built this way.

For us, I plan our gas stops before I ever leave for any trip that will require a fill-up on the way. We have a 35' travel trailer and are over 55' end to end. I can make a bathroom or food stop most anywhere, but I know the gas stations I'm going to hit before I ever leave. I plot my route, determine the general area I'd need to refuel, and then use Google to find gas stations where I know I'd be able to get easily in and out. If possible, I choose spots that have more than one workable station just in case.

For our first couple of years, I'd just pull off when gas was needed and search to find a station I could use. Sometimes I'd find one...sometimes I would have to get back on the highway and try again down the road. The 20 minutes it takes to do this before a long trip is well worth avoiding that hassle on the road!

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just looked at Gas Buddy, and I cannot find diesel fuel anymore. The only fuel options were for gasoline. I don't know when that changed.

(Google can find the gas stations, but I am interested in prices.)

Is there any alternative to Gas Buddy for finding up-to-date diesel prices?

(Added at 10:47am): I looked at gaspricewatch.com, but it was useless for diesel.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyF,

Gasbuddy can be configured for almost any fuel grade (except alcohol free).

If you look around, it says "filters" on the right edge of a screen, and at the top of the map page on your smart phone.

With that and Google Earth, we have never gotten stuck low on fuel or where we can't maneuver the rig.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie:
I looked for "filters" but, sorry, I do not see it. I'm using Safari browser on an Apple ibook.

Roy

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/19 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyF, sounds like you're using the Gasbuddy website on a laptop, rather than the app.

I just opened the website in Safari on my Mac laptop. On the front page of www.gasbuddy.com, there is a pop-up menu for type of gas right next to the search box where you type in the city you are looking for. Diesel is listed in this pop-up menu. Is this what you are looking for?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/19 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Janss:
That pop-up menu next to the city window shows only regular, mid-grade, and premium on my browser.

I am using a Mac laptop. Verrry strange.
Roy

Wait a minute!! Now I see it! The pop-up menu has a scroll bar. I have to scroll down to see "diesel".

The light finally dawns.

Roy

* This post was edited 12/04/19 02:13pm by RoyF *

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RRTom wrote:

When we had a diesel motor home we had a guide (hard copy) that we could look up locations that sold diesel fuel.

We now have a gasser and I'm wondering if there is a book or website that helps locate gas stations that are accessible while towing a car. In other words, gas stations that I can get into and out of with the car connected. Our motor home is 35'.

[emoticon]

USE YOUR EYES, you don't "need" a "guide".

You went from a Diesel to GASOLINE engine.

Far MORE stations sell GASOLINE than diesel.

You have made your life easier!

Size up the station before committing to enter, small station with restricted access to pumps, MOVE ON, there are plenty of other stations out there that will have the space you need.

I look for stations which moves the vehicle traffic side to side of the station building and avoid any station which requires the traffic to move towards/away from the station building.

Heck, I tow a 26ft TT with a full sized pickup, over all length of of nearly 50FT which makes it longer than your rig unless you have a "towed" behind. I have not had all that much trouble fitting into stations which are not small..

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In more than 200,000 miles I doubt if I can count on my fingers the number of times that I have needed reverse to get into or out of a fuel station while hooked up to our 34' 5er. It is simply a non issue, & we rarely use the big truck stop stations. Cheaper fuel can usually be found less than a 1/2 mile further from the exit.

Stay away from old stations in the center of small towns.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

F-TROUP

VISALIA, CALIF

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/19 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use www.californiagasprices.com when I open the map I zoom in and go to satelite view you can see how stations are laid out. I know the range of my MH so I use Goggle Maps to plot my next fillup.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Gas station guide
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.