|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> cell phone in Mexico

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Wm.Elliot

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I asked this before but can't find what was suggested in the search....
I'm looking for a phone that I can use here in Maine and when traveling in Mexico - mostly for emergencies since we can Skype or Google Voice from the hotel for free when we call home.
If I remember correctly the phone needs to be GSM and I can buy an amigo sim card on Amazon or once in Mexico at an OXXO. This way it's pretty inexpensive.
GSM service here in Maine isn't as good as CDMA - there are phones that do both GSM & CDMA but I'm having difficulty figuring out what type of phone will suit both Mexico and Maine.
I have no personal cell phone now.
Any helpful suggestions to this Luddite would be appreciated!

ykphil

Yellowknife

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need an unlocked GSM phone. You can get a SIM card to join the Telcel Amigos sin limites plan (150 pesos for unlimited calls/texts to and from Mexico/USA/Canada, unlimited Facebook/Messenger/Whatsapp/Instagram while in Mexico, and about 1GB of data, at most big box stores in Mexico (Walmert, Chedraui, La Comer,etc.). You can recharge your account at all OXXO and thousands of little stores, or on line (website or Telcel app).

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF you had an unlocked cell phone from the US, or anywhere, you could just buy a SIM card for 26p, put money on it and be set.

Yes, you can buy "plans" or normal, but either way, it's cheap. We don't call the US or Canada (or call much at all) so we just put 100p per month on the phone. After 30 days, you need to put on more money to keep it active. 100p gives you 30 days, and the balance rolls over. Without money being added, you keep the number for 1 year, just add money and you are done.

In February, he had to fly to the US for 2 days. He took the phone, but wanted to call me. We went to TelCel and asked for the cheapest phone. Out the door, just under $18 US we got a phone for me, SIM card, and 10 days of unlimited calling to the US and Canada. Included in that price was 5 days of unlimited everything for his phone. It's cheap.

Don't buy the card on Amazon. We made our living (and bought our house here in Zihuatanejo with the proceeds) on eBay. Wish I had known that I could buy SIM cards here for 26p and turn them for huge money on eBay and Amazon!

A number of people, including Tequila, have found that the TelMex phones and their service are so inexpensive and reliable that even though they are based outside of Mexico, they use the Mexico service. Plans are explained on the TelMex website and payment can be done there too.

Don't know about GSM vs CDMA, but I've not heard of any cell phone not working here that isn't just wifi.

Talleyho69

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a link to a current discussion on the Zihuatanejo Message Board that may also be helpful to you: http://www.zihuatanejo.net/tablero/thread/137752.html

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Motorola phones are about as close to "universal" as you can get. Even the MotoE series has quad band (CDMA and GSM capabilities).
Moto
Either buy from Motorola direct, or ensure you buy an unlocked phone from Amazon or whoever. If you buy from Verizon, ATT or another cell provider they will have locked the phone to their service before you receive it.

Talleyho69

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OXXO also has very inexpensive phones and are everywhere. They also have the SIM cards.

Wm.Elliot

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All this help and all these replies in an hour! Many thanks and I'm glad to see this forum is so active.

RolandKM

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I notice that you indicate you do not currently have a cell phone in Maine but want one that will work in both the US and Mexico. We have AT&T and with our plan get unlimited talk in US, Mexico, and Canada. I believe it's pretty much the same with data, so we've used our phone as a hotspot when necessary. You'll have to decide whether the convenience is worth the cost. It certainly is for us.

pyoung47

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have ATT unlimited and have used it in both Canada and Mexico with no surprises. Unlimited call, text, and data.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess two tin cans and a string won't work huh!

We have AT&T and never had any trouble, as long as there is coverage in the US as well as in Mexico.

navegator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> cell phone in Mexico
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.