|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Continental Tires PSI rising 20

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently bought Continental 255/70R 22.5's for my Tradewinds, it has always ran Michelins but none were available. I'm traveling from Southern Utah to Southern Arizona and am running 100psi in all 6 tires. I have a TST TPMS that I've used since TST first started that monitors each tires temperature and psi. The 100psi goes up to 120psi going down the road at 65mph. Outside Temps were running high 50's/60's. The Michelins never went up this much. I don't think they ever went more then 6-8 psi, even in 108 outside temperatures. My Honda CRV tow vehicle only gains 2 to 4 psi and these are with Continentals also. My old Michelins were 14 ply and the new Continentals are 16 ply, could this be the cause???

Is there anyone on here who is running the same size Continentals with a Tire Pressure Monitor System that monitors PSI and Tire Temps?? One more thing my Tire temperatures were running a few degrees above the outside temps. The tires were not hot at all, only problem is the 20 degree rise of the psi

2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

lryrob9301

Mid-Atlantic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NO, the temperature increase you are seeing is perfectly normal. Your Michelins did the same you just don't remember. All motorhome tires will build air pressure as they run down the road some a little more than others due to tread resistance and side wall construction.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

quick way to see if they in deed go that high is check cold and once they are hot, pull over and check them manual. My only go up 4 max but not your brand. They are Michelin.

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/19 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW, 20 psi gain
seems too much to me at those low temperatures! I don't have an answer to your problem but good luck figuring it out! I would definitely check the tires with a reliable gauge and if the readings are correct I would call the tire company for support!

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pressure increase is directly related to the air temperature (and the outside air pressure); it's a simple matter of physics and has nothing to do with the brand of tire. Assuming basically dry air, it very nearly obeys the ideal gas law. Water vapor causes some deviations from the ideal behavior as at typical tire temperatures and pressures water doesn't quite respond as an ideal gas. Maybe the air you have in the tires isn't particularly dry.

If you've driven up a mountain, the increase in altitude will cause a small increase in measured tire pressure since the atmospheric pressure goes down a bit. It's not a huge difference, less than 5 psi for any road you're likely to encounter.

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deleted

* This post was edited 12/06/19 10:29pm by garym114 *

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

William B

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/19 04:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine go up at least that much. What is the problem? They are designed to do it, and before TPMS you never knew or even thought about how much they increased.

Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SGTJOE wrote:

One more thing my Tire temperatures were running a few degrees above the outside temps. The tires were not hot at all, only problem is the 20 degree rise of the psi

Those two pieces of data don't match.

Have you actually felt the tires to see how hot they really ARE ?
HEAT is the only thing that will increase the pressure.

I think there is no validity to the temp readings of a TPMS.....since the sensor is not mounted on the tire itself. For tires your size, they often are at the end of a VERY long metal valve stem.

I don't pay much attention to the actual readings on my TPMS as they aren't very accurate but seems like I remember increases similar to that in the summer time. I have "off brand" truck tires.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Water vapor causes some deviations from the ideal behavior as at typical tire temperatures and pressures water doesn't quite respond as an ideal gas. Maybe the air you have in the tires isn't particularly dry."

Just a guess. You might want to try bleeding the existing air from the tires and filling them again with . . . . KNOWN DRY AIR! Having filled the tires with excess humidity may be an issue. 20 psi change from cold to hot is a lot especially in winter time. I'm generally not a fan of using nitrogen in RV tires but that would be another option if dry air doesn't help.

Edit: Do all the tire pressures rise equally? Have you checked the tire pressure with a KNOWN GOOD MECHANICAL GAUGE to confirm that your TPMS is reading correctly and that the known good gauge and the TPMS are reading consistently? In aviation you really need not one, not two, but three independent ways to confirm the accuracy of your data to be confident.

Chum lee

* This post was edited 12/08/19 02:15pm by Chum lee *

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/19 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes when a tire is mounted by a rookie, he will use an excessive amount of lubricant to get the tire in place. All of that excess lubricant/moisture may be in your tire and causing your temps to increase a little higher than normal, since you did not have that issue with your other tires.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Continental Tires PSI rising 20
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.