RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Good thing Ford TC haulers don’t use the tailgates ...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Good thing Ford TC haulers don’t use the tailgates ...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a Ford 201-2019, might want to lock your tailgate if you can when you don’t have the TC on. Well, I don’t know if they still have locks or not.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-........er-duty-trucks-explorer-lincoln-aviator/

Not only will thousands of Ford F-Series Super Duty pickups need to go back for potentially buggy daytime running lights, as a recall detailed earlier this week, but the automaker also announced a larger campaign for the truck.

Ford said on Friday that 231,664 F-250, F-350 and F-450 Super Duty pickups are covered in a new recall for tailgates that may open unintentionally. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration had already opened an investigation into this issue. The recall covers 2017-2019 model years for the trucks, and another 29,953 of them are being recalled in America's hat, aka Canada.

The automaker said water may be able to enter the electrical wiring system that operates the electric tailgate latch-release. This part is housed in the tailgate handle. If water gets in, it could cause a short circuit and the tailgate may open whenever it pleases, whether that's while parked or driving.

If the tailgate opens unintentionally, cargo could spill out, which increases the risk of injury and a crash.

* This post was edited 12/06/19 11:49pm by jimh425 *

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do people actually use the daylight running light settings? One of my biggest pet peeves it the fact that most folks that use that setting don't realize that it only turns on the headlights on the majority of vehicles. So those folks drive around in the rain and at night with no lit tail or marker lights.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure about daytime running lights, but I pretty much always use the Auto setting. That is, unless the mechanic decides to turn it off. [emoticon] In that case, I have to notice and turn it back to Auto.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The link doesn't open for me.
I did not use my tailgate much on my 2017 model, but from what I remember it has mechanical latches that hold the tailgate up and electrical latch lock for security.
Meaning even electrical malfunction will release the lock, the latches will still hold the tailgate up.
The lock assemble has whole harness going to it, what operates camera and light as well.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 11:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

I did not use my tailgate much on my 2017 model, but from what I remember it has mechanical latches that hold the tailgate up and electrical latch lock for security.
Meaning even electrical malfunction will release the lock, the latches will still hold the tailgate up.
The lock assemble has whole harness going to it, what operates camera and light as well.

I’m not familiar with the design. If you pull the handle when it’s locked, does it release the latches so that when you do (or it does) eventually unlock it, it falls? Maybe that’s the concern. If not then nothing to worry about.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 11:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, had an extra space in the URL.

bwc

Atlantic Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

Do people actually use the daylight running light settings? One of my biggest pet peeves it the fact that most folks that use that setting don't realize that it only turns on the headlights on the majority of vehicles. So those folks drive around in the rain and at night with no lit tail or marker lights.

Buzzcut...I couldn't agree more. If daytime running lights are for "safety", then simply have all the lights come on when you start your vehicle, end of story. Here where I live it really is a menace when driving in poor weather conditions morons are driving with no headlamps on thus no tail lights. I see them everyday going to work in the early hours, DRL's on only. The Feds didn't go far enough imho when they brought out this. It would sure make driving behind these vehicles safer. I agree with you 100%.

2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

I’m not familiar with the design. If you pull the handle when it’s locked, does it release the latches so that when you do (or it does) eventually unlock it, it falls? Maybe that’s the concern. If not then nothing to worry about.

Some models have an inside the truck button to release the tailgate (like a trunk release button). If I understand correctly, that is the issue they are having.

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K_and_I wrote:

Some models have an inside the truck button to release the tailgate (like a trunk release button). If I understand correctly, that is the issue they are having.

I heard about such switch possible only on dump truck.
What would be purpose of it on regural bed?
Anyway, I check my VIN for recalls - they aren't any at this time.
I've seen whistle-blowing reporters making articles about subjects they don't understand more than once. I think this is one of them.

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

K_and_I wrote:

I heard about such switch possible only on dump truck.
What would be purpose of it on regural bed?
Anyway, I check my VIN for recalls - they aren't any at this time.
I've seen whistle-blowing reporters making articles about subjects they don't understand more than once. I think this is one of them.

Not sure of the purpose. Here is a thread on a Ford truck forum about the issue:
Clicky

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Good thing Ford TC haulers don’t use the tailgates ...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.