RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: California Non-commercial class A license ***New question***

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> California Non-commercial class A license ***New question***

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mhardin wrote:

Lwiddis wrote:

I don’t agree that the CHP’s license stops are unconstitutional. What authority do you have other than a quote from the federal Constitution?

Vehicle Code Section 2400 (b) The commissioner shall enforce all laws regulating the operation of vehicles and the use of the highways except that, on ways or places to which Section 592 makes reference, the commissioner shall not be required to provide patrol or enforce any provisions of this code other than those provisions applicable to private property.

In 1979 the Supreme Court ruled in Delaware vs. Prouse that stopping a vehicle simply to check a driver's license violates the 4th Amendment.

California doesnt care about your constitutional rights

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/19 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I moved to Arizona and got my drivers license the MVD clerk ask whats this, referring to the indorcment. I told her and she said honey you dont need any of that here until you get to 26,000 lbs

big bird 2

La Crescenta, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in CA. I applied for the endorsement and the DMV clerk told me there was no such thing and referred me to the commercial DMV office. Her boss happened to walk by and asked me to follow him. He had me fill out an application for a 5th wheel endorsement and gave me two separate written tests. Eye examine, but no driving test or physical examine. He asked me what I drive and never made note of it. I passed the test and have the endorsement. The problem is the DMV manual is not well written and most DMV personnel just do not know. Even better, ask a traffic cop. They don't know either.

Risk; cops don't know so a ticket is unlikely. An accident could be a problem if the insurance company knows the law. If you do not have endorsement, get in an accident and they know about endorsement, you loose.

Big Bird 2

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA FW endorsement is not the same as the non commercial Class A.

AirSupport

Boondocking somewhere in N. America

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 10:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well thanks for all the advice folks. I’m just going to find someone to accompany me from the dealer’s lot to storage. Then from storage to DMV when I’m ready for the test.

lee worsdell

elmvale

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/19 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same in Ontario I should have restricted A to pull mine. I no guys will pipe up no you don't because its a recreation vehicle . Dig deep anything over combine weight of 11000 kg here 24250 lbs need class a restricted. Insurance wont cover you in a wreck that's there way out of paying

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mhardin wrote:

Lwiddis wrote:

I don’t agree that the CHP’s license stops are unconstitutional. What authority do you have other than a quote from the federal Constitution?

Vehicle Code Section 2400 (b) The commissioner shall enforce all laws regulating the operation of vehicles and the use of the highways except that, on ways or places to which Section 592 makes reference, the commissioner shall not be required to provide patrol or enforce any provisions of this code other than those provisions applicable to private property.

In 1979 the Supreme Court ruled in Delaware vs. Prouse that stopping a vehicle simply to check a driver's license violates the 4th Amendment.

There isn't an LEO in any of the 50 states that *can't* come up with a probable cause to stop a vehicle. First question - may I see your Driver's License please.

They do every day - and actually CA probably the least likely state to be stopped by the CHP (or other LEO) for something insignificant - unless it's on some rural road in the boondocks.

Unless it's rush hour/s - literally thousands of vehicles exceeding the posted speed limits on the freeways - often by 20mph or more.

~

94-D2

Sutter Creek ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/19 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So,

Been a LEO (not local PD or Sheriff) for the past 25 years and hold a commercial class A license. Been through each scenario that has been spoken about on this thread. Allow me to substantiate most of what is being said.

Driver’s license violations are essentially a secondary violation. Meaning, I can’t stop you just because I want to see if your properly licensed. A license check point IS constitutional if it is in conjunction with a DUI checkpoint. If it is legal in your state, then reciprocity is extended in CA (unless your a cheater and operating in commerce).

Most DMV employees and Leo’s (not all) generally do not understand the complexities of licensing requirements nor actually know what licenses, endorsements or restrictions are available and what is required depending on equipment. But, if need be, they will seek resources. A sales person will sell you anything and not really care how you are licensed. A non commercial class A is only good for driving/pulling an RV not for hire (what about these people that deliver an RV from a dealer. They need a commercial class A).

Almost every horse person with a horse trailer with or without quarters does not have a proper license (I have yet to find a properly licensed operator in all my years with few exception). You must have a commercial class A license with double endorsement to pull more than one trailer in CA. 65’ is the statutory length limitation in CA for any combination of vehicles (doubles can be 75’ but no RV combination can meet the parameters). Finally, yes, You must bring an appropriately licensed operator to your drive test or you will fail your test attempt and potentially be cited.

Driving out of class is an infraction (unless hazmat) and driving without a proper endorsement can be a “ fix it” ticket or regular infraction. More importantly, driving out of class is an automatic out of service order. Meaning, at worst your vehicle can be impounded or (least) placed out of service until deemed to be in compliance. Like dropping a trailer or obtaining a properly licensed operator.

This stuff is no joke. It can be costly, unsafe, inconvenient and will certainly ruin a vacation. Do it right and get properly educated, trained, licensed and insured. It’s the only way to be confident, responsible and safe. That will help ensure you enjoy your road trip.

2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

It’s not what you’ve done that commands respect, it’s what you do.

Happy Campin’

AirSupport

Boondocking somewhere in N. America

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 01:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

94-D2 wrote:

So,

Been a LEO (not local PD or Sheriff) for the past 25 years and hold a commercial class A license. Been through each scenario that has been spoken about on this thread. Allow me to substantiate most of what is being said.

Driver’s license violations are essentially a secondary violation. Meaning, I can’t stop you just because I want to see if your properly licensed. A license check point IS constitutional if it is in conjunction with a DUI checkpoint. If it is legal in your state, then reciprocity is extended in CA (unless your a cheater and operating in commerce).

Most DMV employees and Leo’s (not all) generally do not understand the complexities of licensing requirements nor actually know what licenses, endorsements or restrictions are available and what is required depending on equipment. But, if need be, they will seek resources. A sales person will sell you anything and not really care how you are licensed. A non commercial class A is only good for driving/pulling an RV not for hire (what about these people that deliver an RV from a dealer. They need a commercial class A).

Almost every horse person with a horse trailer with or without quarters does not have a proper license (I have yet to find a properly licensed operator in all my years with few exception). You must have a commercial class A license with double endorsement to pull more than one trailer in CA. 65’ is the statutory length limitation in CA for any combination of vehicles (doubles can be 75’ but no RV combination can meet the parameters). Finally, yes, You must bring an appropriately licensed operator to your drive test or you will fail your test attempt and potentially be cited.

Driving out of class is an infraction (unless hazmat) and driving without a proper endorsement can be a “ fix it” ticket or regular infraction. More importantly, driving out of class is an automatic out of service order. Meaning, at worst your vehicle can be impounded or (least) placed out of service until deemed to be in compliance. Like dropping a trailer or obtaining a properly licensed operator.

This stuff is no joke. It can be costly, unsafe, inconvenient and will certainly ruin a vacation. Do it right and get properly educated, trained, licensed and insured. It’s the only way to be confident, responsible and safe. That will help ensure you enjoy your road trip.

Thanks for the 411. Another question which I wasn’t able to find an answer for... in Cali is there anything special about pulling a fifth wheel with a typical “dually” (Ford, Dodge, GM) where the combined weight of the two mandates any other licensing requirements? Reason I ask is I read in another forum someone claiming this, but ther person didn’t cite a vehicle code. The thread was over 8 years old and there was no other details.

My plan was to get a new Dodge 3500 4x4 crew cab dually that has a GVWR of 14,000lbs (according the the website) and the fifth wheel we love is around 19,000lbs GVWR. Total combined GVWR = 33,000lbs. THE DMV licensing class chart doesn’t mention anything about a combined fifth wheel and truck weight, so I figured I’m good to go with just a non-commercial Class-A, right? (If you know).

Many Thanks in advance.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Dodge 3500 4x4 crew cab dually that has a GVWR of 14,000lbs"

No such thing!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> California Non-commercial class A license ***New question***
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.