RV.Net Open Roads Forum: 5er hitch options RAM MegaCab w/6'4" bed - Solitude 310GK

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5er hitch options RAM MegaCab w/6'4" bed - Solitude 310GK

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DesertDogs wrote:

SO, if I'm reading this right, the rail-mount Anderson would be a good choice, only if the 5th wheel front cap is rounded enough to not impact the truck rear window? Is the rail-mount a manual slider?

But, if the front cap is rounded enough to prevent impact in tight turns, a slider wouldn't be needed anyway, right?

No the rail mount is not a slider . I have looked at your fifth wheel online , and the corners are round like many are. The rail mount Andersen is designed along with the adapter , to be run in different positions for a short bed or long bed . You will not be hitting your window if its ran like mine is with my Megacab. But you can if you work at it ,and not pay attention ,you can do the same thing with a long bed . If worried get an auto slide hitch, pretty sure I posted what you can do there also, a lot more money ,but still a good choice . To answer your question many tow without a slider, but you can't think because those corners are rounded off ,you can't hit, you can.

I have towed many miles with that Andersen, as many have also. Its your choice.

There are three bedrail adapters , I call them picture frames that can be bought to attach the Andersen or another rail mount hitch too. The adapter mounts to your OE puck system on that Ram . There are many out there manual sliders ,auto sliders ,the Andersen . The list goes on .

* This post was edited 12/11/19 07:40am by an administrator/moderator *

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So In a NUT SHELL - - -

SOME are passionate about their B & W
SOME are passionate about their Anderson
SOME are passionate about their Superglide - ( ME ! ! )

It does NOT make any of them better than the other, it's all personal Preference..That is if used correctly.

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for the Pullrite Auto Slider OE Puck mount. Pricey, but worth it in my opinion. I love mine, and don't ever have to wonder if it will or will not hit the cab of the truck. Only thing I wish is that the capture plate mounted to the hitch, like the Demco and not to the Kingpin. But that's not a big deal really.

It's a heavy hitch... 300lbs, but worth it in my opinion.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 02:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

So In a NUT SHELL - - -

SOME are passionate about their B & W
SOME are passionate about their Anderson
SOME are passionate about their Superglide - ( ME ! ! )

It does NOT make any of them better than the other, it's all personal Preference..That is if used correctly.

In a NUT SHELL . Not sure I am passionate about a hitch. [emoticon] What I am passionate about is stating the facts ,and not just throwing stuff out there .

Personal preference the Reese 18k manual slider that I also tow with. Got the Andersen for just a Montana trip in the summer to remove easily. Those sliders are heavy, the Andersen eliminates messing with having to take apart or get help taking that Reese out. Rest of my trips I prefer the Reese.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

Another vote for the Pullrite Auto Slider OE Puck mount. Pricey, but worth it in my opinion. I love mine, and don't ever have to wonder if it will or will not hit the cab of the truck. Only thing I wish is that the capture plate mounted to the hitch, like the Demco and not to the Kingpin. But that's not a big deal really.

Mike

Great way to go. Although I have a friend that got a bit tired of messing with it, they are a bit fussy about that angle you are at getting then hooked up ,and unhooked. They don't don't come undone he said at too much of an angle. He went to the Andersen rail mount seems to be a bit more happy with that.

DesertDogs

Scottsdale

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SO, with the Anderson rail mount, you can set the mount to some determined (but adjustable) distance back from the truck rear window, which pretty much ensures that the front cap won't hit the rear window in tight turns?

Is it light weight enough that someone who isn't "superman" can remove it from the truck, and re-install without requiring help?

Considering Solitude 310GK 5th wheel

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Andersen Ultimate weighs about 40 lbs

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DesertDogs wrote:

SO, with the Anderson rail mount, you can set the mount to some determined (but adjustable) distance back from the truck rear window, which pretty much ensures that the front cap won't hit the rear window in tight turns?

Is it light weight enough that someone who isn't "superman" can remove it from the truck, and re-install without requiring help?

Yes, easily removed with one person , pull four pins and lift out.

The rail mount can be installed in two different positions , as well as the adapter , so basIcally four different adjustments . I run the adapter and hitch in the positions that allow the fifth wheel furthest from the cab. As far as hitting the cab on my Megacab , have never come close , I have no idea what degree I can back , but I haven’t been in a position that was a problem .

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Walaby wrote:

Mike

Great way to go. Although I have a friend that got a bit tired of messing with it, they are a bit fussy about that angle you are at getting then hooked up ,and unhooked. They don't don't come undone he said at too much of an angle. He went to the Andersen rail mount seems to be a bit more happy with that.

I've heard that, but haven't experienced it personally yet
Admittedly not as easy to pull out of the truck as other hitches. But, I lift mine out (as necessary), by just leaving it hooked up to the king pin. Then, I lower it down onto a rolling table and roll it into my garage.

Mike

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

DesertDogs wrote:

Sounds to me like the Anderson is far from the best choices out there?

For your use, no not the best choice. Also, Andersen does not make a direct fit to the puck system. The best Andersen hitch uses the rail mount system, with 4-point attachment.

Jerry

I concur!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5er hitch options RAM MegaCab w/6'4" bed - Solitude 310GK
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.