|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Good thing bad thing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvshrinker wrote:

What does exhaust mode mean? My fan has an on-off switch only.

How would air get sucked from the black tank to the toilet? There s no suction created; at least in my bathroom there is a gap at the top and bottom of the door to prevent moisture buildup.

This doesn’t make any sense to me.

If air is blowing out of the trailer, it must come in somewhere. Open a window or open the toilet, your choice.

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is this a well documented real hazard? I mean, air goes out the kitchen vent whenever it is turned on; and presumably some air can come in as well. A hint of air can come in from around the doors, and maybe from around the slide seals.

I don’t see a lot about this on google, and we’ve run the vent plenty without opening any windows.

You’re saying if I get a hint of eau de toilette I’ve somehow overcome the valve described above? Or the water trap itself?

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvshrinker wrote:

What does exhaust mode mean? My fan has an on-off switch only.

How would air get sucked from the black tank to the toilet? There s no suction created; at least in my bathroom there is a gap at the top and bottom of the door to prevent moisture buildup.

This doesn’t make any sense to me.

There's a vent pipe from the tank up to the roof. My trailer also has the gap at the top and bottom of the door. But the factory supplied fan is so powerful that it creates a low pressure situation in the trailer. In fact you can easily hear the fan speed up if someone opens the main trailer door while the fan is running. If you flush with the trailer closed up like first thing in the morning while everybody is asleep;The fan will pull air down the vent pipe and across the puddle of sewage in the tank and up through the toilet around your legs. Believe me it's not a mistake you're likely to make twice.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes check or replace your air admittance valves.
Link to valve

The valve breaks vacuum when the sink is shut off so the tank doesn't siphon out the trap. Look under the sink and there should be a vertical spur sticking up off the drain pipe. Unscrew it and see if the flapper works in one direction only. (air flowing into tank only) If it's bad you can get a new one for a few dollars at Home Depot. Just unscrew the old one and replace

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvshrinker wrote:

Is this a well documented real hazard? I mean, air goes out the kitchen vent whenever it is turned on; and presumably some air can come in as well. A hint of air can come in from around the doors, and maybe from around the slide seals.

I don’t see a lot about this on google, and we’ve run the vent plenty without opening any windows.

You’re saying if I get a hint of eau de toilette I’ve somehow overcome the valve described above? Or the water trap itself?

OK, I think what is going on here is that you have a RV toilet that has a water trap. Like a house toilet does. A lot of RV toilets have no trap and when you flush them you are just sliding open a door on the bottom of the toilet that lets the waste fall directly into the holding tank. If you have that type of toilet and you are running the exhaust fan while flushing it will draw air out of the holding tank and cause a smell in the RV.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

If you want one that will last and don't mind paying a few extra bucks for it, "Sioux Chief" or "Studor" are the brands of choice.
Anything else is junk in comparison.

X2 on Studor, they have a stainless steel valve and cost around $15 and are white in color. The cheap black ones costing around $7 have a rubber flapper valve. Replace them one time with Studor

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/19 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let’s offer some correction to the language used here:
Running the vent fan while flushing the toilet MIGHT cause odors to be drawn into the camper.
The AAV can fail and MIGHT cause odors to be drawn in.

Too many factors at play to use the word “WILL” when describing these situations.

In my case...
During warmer weather, as the black tank fills and there’s relatively stagnant air (no wind outside), odors can become more prevalent when flushing the toilet. A proper functioning vent relies in some part on having a little bit of air circulation. Kinda like how a chimney may not properly exit the smoke if it’s not above the ridge line of the roof.

* This post was edited 12/18/19 07:46am by WTP-GC *

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Good thing bad thing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.