RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Stay off the ice! 3 Trucks and TT go through ice into lake.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Stay off the ice! 3 Trucks and TT go through ice into lake.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

am1958 wrote:

Unless you are ice fishing for survival it's a stupid pastime... Little more energy can be gained from the meat normally caught than was expended catching it... In a survival situation that can help you keep your "bank account" closer to the black but, overall, you are wasting energy...

I guess with that logic the same could be said for deer hunting, I always kid my deer hunting buddy especially when he comes home empty handed I tell hime how expensive deer meat is when you factor in time off from work, all his gear, etc. Obviously he does for enjoyment and being outdoors so I wouldn't call it stupid.

The list of stupid pastimes go on and on if your purely looking at it from your perspective.

Going to big league ballgames is stupid because you can watch it for free on tv and have better views and commentary.

Going on vacation somewhere is stupid when you can stay home and watch YouTube videos and look at pictures online etc.

Going out to eat is stupid when you can cook it at home for a fraction of the price.

As I said the list goes on and one.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

am1958

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fizz wrote:

am1958 wrote:

Unless you are ice fishing for survival it's a stupid pastime... Little more energy can be gained from the meat normally caught than was expended catching it... In a survival situation that can help you keep your "bank account" closer to the black but, overall, you are wasting energy...

Then you just don't get it.
Some people love fresh caught fish.
For some it's the social gathering. Small villages of fishing huts will pop up, much like an RV park. Nope you don't get it.

I'm afraid you aren't getting it. In the situation your refer to the ice fishing is a sideline to the social gathering, an excuse if you may.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dang, wondering what one of those SHERP mobiles cost?

am1958

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

I guess with that logic the same could be said for deer hunting,

Dan

Errr... The amount of energy derived from a complete deer far outweighs the energy expended to hunt it. The cost of gear is simply to make the hunt easier. He could simply make his own n\bow and arrows and hunt that way.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

Dang, wondering what one of those SHERP mobiles cost?

At the end if the video, 120K! Wow!

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

I do
Precision Guesswork
based on
Vague Assumptions
&
Unreliable Data of Dubious Accuracy
provided by persons of
Questionable Intellectual Capacity

Now, What would you like done?

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

I always loved it when there is a sudden, deep, and prolonged cold spell. Ice is clear, and at night the cracking of the ice was eerie and fascinating to hear.

YES!!! There have been times when the booming of the ice woke me up at night; and then there's the "first freeze" tradition of tossing stones across the new ice - my grandkids have all been amazed at the "chirping" sound that makes :-)

I had one amazing day, with new ice that formed on a calm night: it was like glass to walk on, and I could see fish swimming below my feet. Of course those same conditions brought the iceboaters in droves, and by the next day the ice was all scratched up.....LOL!

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

am1958 wrote:

I guess with that logic the same could be said for deer hunting, I always kid my deer hunting buddy especially when he comes home empty handed I tell hime how expensive deer meat is when you factor in time off from work, all his gear, etc. Obviously he does for enjoyment and being outdoors so I wouldn't call it stupid.

The list of stupid pastimes go on and on if your purely looking at it from your perspective.

Going to big league ballgames is stupid because you can watch it for free on tv and have better views and commentary.

Going on vacation somewhere is stupid when you can stay home and watch YouTube videos and look at pictures online etc.

Going out to eat is stupid when you can cook it at home for a fraction of the price.

As I said the list goes on and one.

Dan
My whole life is things that did not make economic sense, but it was entertaining .

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to have a friend who was an Alaskan bush pilot. During the season he would fly 3 salmon fisherman to the best remote spots in Alaska inaccessible by any other means than a float plane. He would charge big money to 3 guys who would usually catch their limit within an hour, then transport their catch back to base. Two trips a day. Hundreds of pounds of fresh salmon (extra) with no freezer space to put it.

Yes please! Thank you and keep the change Rick! RIP. It's dangerous work, when you can get it. Nobody cared what it cost.

Chum lee

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

am1958 wrote:

From your expertise, I can only surmise you sit on the sofa all day admonishing peoples hobbies or sport. Don't stress yourself too much, it might become stupid.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/19 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

am1958 wrote:

They don't do it to save a few bucks on a fish and chips dinner. They do it for fun.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Stay off the ice! 3 Trucks and TT go through ice into lake.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.