|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> mounting a propane tank to bumper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good part about tanks - they don't need recertification every few years and have big fill valve.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/19 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for correcting my “DOT” terminology those are the tanks I mean - meant for permanent mounting on a vehicle. They can be found used, sometimes free for the taking away. I don’t know US law but in Canada they must be recertified and inspected when installed on a different vehicle which is common sense anyways. Neither is particularly expensive. You can tie in a demountable camper with a quick coupling. I would not travel with that line pressurized.

To me this is safer than cylinders on a rear location especially low on the rig in the texting driver rear impact zone.

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 12:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Optimistic Paranoid wrote:

Propane bottles need to be mounted somewhere where they won't be damaged if someone rear ends you - or you rear end someone who stops short in front of you.

Someone needs to alert the travel trailer folk. Seems most of those propane bottles are mounted to the trailer's hitch, often right next to a battery which could spark. Sure do hope none of them are in an accident where the trailer is pushed in to the tow vehicle. An explosion may occur!

-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 05:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric&Lisa wrote:

Propane bottles need to be mounted somewhere where they won't be damaged if someone rear ends you - or you rear end someone who stops short in front of you.

Someone needs to alert the travel trailer folk. Seems most of those propane bottles are mounted to the trailer's hitch, often right next to a battery which could spark. Sure do hope none of them are in an accident where the trailer is pushed in to the tow vehicle. An explosion may occur!

-Eric

Realistically speaking, has anyone ever seen a trailer hit so hard it is rammed into the back of a tow vehicle? Seems to me the trailer-tow vehicle combo would be shoved down the road as a unit, rather than the tow vehicle staying stationary while the trailer is shoved into it.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric&Lisa wrote:

-Eric

Realistically speaking, has anyone ever seen a trailer hit so hard it is rammed into the back of a tow vehicle? Seems to me the trailer-tow vehicle combo would be shoved down the road as a unit, rather than the tow vehicle staying stationary while the trailer is shoved into it.

Yes, realistically speaking, although they were not the rear endee, but the rear ender. No evidence of a 5 kiloton blast either. No sign of the bottles, probably jammed in between the underside of the bed and the pumpkin.

[image]

* This post was edited 12/20/19 06:32am by GDS-3950BH *

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 06:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Yes, realistically speaking, although they were not the rear endee, but the rear ender. No evidence of a 5 kiloton blast either. No sign of the bottles, probably jammed in between the underside of the bed and the pumpkin.

[image]
No sign of the bottles , heck , there hardly any sign of the tow vehicle . I think it needs a different picture to determine the location/condition of the propane cylinders .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

I think it needs a different picture to determine the location/condition of the propane cylinders .

I would bet the farm they're somewhere in between what you can see that is left of the trailer and the back of the TV cab? If not they are in the next county over.

devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 02:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a class B that caught on fire, it had a 20 gallon propane tank and full of gas the gas tank and propane tank vented off lost the r v but no explosion

2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

devildog1971 wrote:

I had a class B that caught on fire, it had a 20 gallon propane tank and full of gas the gas tank and propane tank vented off lost the r v but no explosion

Bare in mind, even the title of this topic is misleading, we are talking about propane CYLINDERS here, as only those can be used with TC.
Lot of members can't catch the difference, but propane tanks do have safety valve.
Propane cylinders do not.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those that don't get what the op is talking about mounting extra propane tanks to...

[image]

There is plenty of room on either side of the step with or without the ladder rack to mount stuff like a propane tank..And the step comes off to attach much more if need be..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/Reese solid bar extension/buddy heater/3 inverters/3/4" Horse mat cushion-Non slip/happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags /Yamaha Rhino/Winch/locker UTV/Zieman trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> mounting a propane tank to bumper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.