RV.Net Open Roads Forum: No Warranty on your RV? Don't buy new?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> No Warranty on your RV? Don't buy new?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

My reply is pretty simple. If you have the tools, time, and know-how to fix things; buy used. If you aren't handy, buy new with warranty.

This is why we are each different - each has their own priorities. For us, I do fall in the category of doing most repairs myself. Unless it takes major equipment, or know-how, I will take care of it. We've bought new twice, and never had either in for warranty work. It is in large part due to the fact that I can make the repairs that we will purchase new.

Buying used, you might get a unit that's been through warranty repairs and well maintained, or you might get a unit that was overloaded and neglected for 3-4 years. For us, we'd rather buy new, fix the small things that happen, use the warranty if any major thing comes along, and KNOW that the vehicle has been properly cared for since day 1.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

"I know who's slept in my bed, who's used the kitchen and appliances, and for the most part who's put what down the toilet." I love excuses like that for paying tens of thousands more for a new unit.

I guess these buyers have never slept in a hotel, never used a public restroom & never been to a restaurant. They must be relations of Howard Hughes.

I love condescending posts like this.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me buying a few years older means getting a better built unit, but you have to still do your homework. The quality in new is not there as it was years back.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/19 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

"I know who's slept in my bed, who's used the kitchen and appliances, and for the most part who's put what down the toilet." I love excuses like that for paying tens of thousands more for a new unit.

I guess these buyers have never slept in a hotel, never used a public restroom & never been to a restaurant. They must be relations of Howard Hughes.

Nice! Many would say that anyone who can afford ANY new or used RV, especially for "recreational" purpsoes, must be rich. I'm definitely not related to any wealthy benefactors and the wife and I work hard for every dime that comes in and goes out. What you call an excuse, I call a reason. You may not agree, but there DEFINITELY is a difference between a new and a used RV. For many, the depreciation, especially the first few years, is not worth the difference, for others it is. Have I slept in hotels? Yes. Is it my preference? NO!!! That's one BIG reason I have an RV. Have I used a public restroom? Obviously, although most of them, especially on the road, I would prefer not to.

As for tens of thousands of dollars, my TT only cost a few 10's of thousands and a five year old "equivalent" unit still costs a couple of 10's of thousands. I use quotes around equivalent because, despite what some may say, there are differences. The same floor plan was available, but that's about the only thing that's the same. The decor is different, the refrigerator was a gas absorption RV refrigerator vs the residential compressor refrigerator in my TT, the cabinetry design was different/less functional, etc... Mine also had zero wear and tear on it when I bought it.

Some might find that garage kept, constantly cared for, used just enough to keep everything in perfect working order RV, just 1 or 2 years old being sold by a little old lady from Pasadena for 10% of the price of a new unit. I never seem to find that deal. I did pretty well with the repossessed class C we owned, but it wasn't that great a deal.

Buy what you want. My advice is to buy within your means. There are advantages to new, if you can afford it and if those advantages are important to you. There can be advantages to buying used, if you're careful. Cost can be one of the big advantages, again if you're careful. Not unlike the automobile market, the used market value is at least partially driven by the average amount remaining on loans on similar units. Unlike the auto market, the majority of RVs are finance for 15 years, not 5-7. There is also a two edged sword in the used market. If you're buying from a conscientious, caring, previous owner, as with houses they will likely have worked out any fit and finish issues from the manufacturing process and may have installed some nice and possibly expensive upgrades. Most upgrades don't add any significant value to the selling price. However, the other side of that sword is that if you are buying from a less scrupulous or even well meaning but less conscientious seller, they may be intentionally concealing or unwittingly passing on significant defects. There are lots of reasons people sell RVs. Some sell because they fall on hard times financially or just aren't getting enough use to justify the cost. Others sell because of poor health or their spouse or other family passed away and they no longer want to or are able to travel. But just like in the used car market, there are those who try to conceal defects to increase profit/avoid losing money. Everyone's heard fables of saw dust in the transmission. I once bought a used car from a dealer that had more stop leak in the radiator than water or antifreeze. What can I say I was younger and stupider.

A used unit will have wear and tear. It will have however many miles of rattling down the road with all the screw loosening vibrations and twisting and flexing that comes with those miles. It will have however many nights of firing the heater and/or running the air conditioner. It will have however many years of sitting, usually in the open unprotected and usually neglected for months at time. It may have that child's wallet, or worse, stuck in the black tank drain (did I mention, 18+ years later, I still really don't want to relive that day...). It may need tires and batteries and other maintenance. Those are the negatives. Those are the reason it's less expensive than a new unit.

Some times that wear and tear is very light and the previous owner has been good about maintenance and proper storage. Some times, as previously stated, they've added worthwhile updates. Some times you get a true bargain.

A used RV is better than no RV in my opinion. The right RV for the purchaser, at the time they want to purchase it, is the best RV. If you have specific preference with regard to layout, brand, size, etc. It may be difficult to find your preference in a used RV. If you do, that's great. If not, I would rather spend a few thousand more for the RV I want than a few thousand less for one I'd be settling for.

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

BizmarksMom

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought new because I could get it set up exactly the way I wanted. Solar instead of a television. 12 volt vent fans. Larger grey tank.

Yes, I know I could have bought a used Nash and done modifications. But I work full time and definitely don't need another thing to tinker with. I used the snot out of the trailer that first year, and never did need any repairs. Since then, repairs have been minor things my independant repair shop handles quickly.

2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can we now agree, the OP's over-simplification and the first post, never came back to the discussion was probably bait?

Doghouseman = bored, off season RV salesman....

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

doghouseman

Baltimore

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Can we now agree, the OP's over-simplification and the first post, never came back to the discussion was probably bait?

Doghouseman = bored, off season RV salesman....

Sorry, yes thanks for all the great advice. I am not a salesman, just got too busy to repost, but I have been reading the replies when I get the chance, and I learned a lot.

I guess having an old boat taught me a lot about fixing things on my own, so I can do that, but I have gotten to the point were I dont want to fix anything anymore, and I was thinking a warranty would be away around that problem with all the things that can go wrong in an RV. But if the dealership is far away and they wont authorize other dealers to fix, that can be a problem.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to see you came back!
Never know sometimes....
Warranty is good for a year for most RVs and based on this forum's reports and real world folks I know who've bought new RVs, warranty service is spotty/not great.
Extended warranties are generally a rip off.
So, think of a new RV as no warranty, but you may get a couple things fixed for free, then it's yours and yours alone to get fixed.
Also, seems "most" common issues are with assembly, QC, defective components and "alot" of these issues show up pretty quickly.
So a used or slightly used one has a better chance of these things worked out already.

I don't believe most RVs are the purported piles of junk some make them out to be. Now, we don't use ours often, but through 2 different truck campers from 8, to now 17 years old, I've had no real issues. Yes, some little fixes, just like your car, house, anything else that is made of of thousands of little pieces.
By far the biggest problem was a jack that froze up. I cribbed up the camper (since it was not on the truck), removed the jack, figured it was toast. Took it apart, ended up cleaning it up and greasing it....good to go.
But, unlike your boat story, the one's I bought were pretty well cared for prior to us owning them and then cared for since.
I'm sure if I just parked it in the back pasture when not in use, all year, and generally did not maintain it, the story would be different.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 02:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

When it comes to boats, how old is old? Not talking trailer boats here. A 10 year old well maintained cruising boat 30' plus is considered young. Sure, you can buy a basket case dirt cheap but it will cost tens of thousands before the bottom gets wet again.

One of my all-time favourite boat names was seen on such a boat. "DEBT FINDER"

Umm...no. 10yr is not considered "young". Young isn't really a term commonly used but if you are talking about near new, it's more like 5yr old.

Of course, a basket case is what the OP apparently bought and is setting his idea of what should be.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 02:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BizmarksMom wrote:

I bought new because I could get it set up exactly the way I wanted. Solar instead of a television. 12 volt vent fans. Larger grey tank.

Yes, I know I could have bought a used Nash and done modifications. But I work full time and definitely don't need another thing to tinker with. I used the snot out of the trailer that first year, and never did need any repairs. Since then, repairs have been minor things my independant repair shop handles quickly.

You can buy used and pay someone to make the modifications, so it doesn't mean you have to be a tinkerer....and it will still probably be a lot cheaper.

Of course, if you buy new and spec a different holding tank, you probably have the same RV tech yanking the old one and putting in the new one.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> No Warranty on your RV? Don't buy new?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.