RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: GM Trans Temp Gauge Install?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> GM Trans Temp Gauge Install?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Kamphiker

South Florida (this 'aint paradise anymore)

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 2009 Grand Cherokee That I added a Trans Temp. Gauge from Westech ( http://www.westach.com/ ) I did have to put the sensor on the tip of the DIP stick (used high temp shrink tube) and then ran the wire up the length of the Dip stick. drilled small hole in the "cap" to run the wire through. then a disconnect to be able to disconnect from the wiring running into the dash. when checking Trans fluid level. That worked extremely well for the time before OBDII plugin gauges were available.

FunTwoDrv

NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kamphiker, it was an option with the 4500 chassis. However, I wasn’t successful in having GM reprogram the new instrument cluster to add it. So, now I’m leaning towards the Scan Gauge option as there is a nice place to install it on the dash.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Gary

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FunTwoDrv wrote:

Kamphiker, it was an option with the 4500 chassis. However, I wasn’t successful in having GM reprogram the new instrument cluster to add it. So, now I’m leaning towards the Scan Gauge option as there is a nice place to install it on the dash.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Gary

I have mine sitting on top of the steering column in the Navion. It's line of sight with the other instrument cluster gauges. I run all 3 temp gauges - coolant, oil, and transmission (I think temps tell you a lot about what's going on under the hood) and either a DPF Regen monitor, or a charging voltage gauge as #4. Plenty of other options, too.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

FunTwoDrv

NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the idea of monitoring the oil and trans temps. I’d probably also use ambient temp and that’s about all. Water temp is already in the instrument cluster. And no way I’m looking at fuel mileage reading!
Ordered the Scan Gauge this morning...
Gary

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FunTwoDrv wrote:

I like the idea of monitoring the oil and trans temps. I’d probably also use ambient temp and that’s about all. Water temp is already in the instrument cluster. And no way I’m looking at fuel mileage reading!
Ordered the Scan Gauge this morning...
Gary

Outside temp (ambient) is already in my cluster. There's all kinds of uesful optional gauges you can use, if you take the time to add them as X-Gauges. That's a pita, but if you're only doing one or two, it's no big deal.
I don't trust the SGII fuel economy numbers, and I've got a (maybe) more trustworthy mileage indicator as well, in the existing dash options. I like it because the MB diesel gets great mileage.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FunTwoDrv wrote:

I'm interested in installing a temp gauge in our 6L90e transmission. Has anyone done this?
I'm struggling with where to place the sending unit. This trans doesn't appear to have a "test port" so, it looks like either I weld a bung on the pan or splice it in the return line.
Any thoughts or experience?

Gary

You should put the temp sender where the fluid gets the hottest. Depending on your driving situation and the age of your transmission, that could be in the torque converter or lockup clutch, in one of many planetary gear sets, one of the many clutch packs, in the pan, or at the inlet to the cooler. (there may be other locations too) Get the picture? If you are headed for transmission issues, the fluid temperature varies all over the place depending on what the transmission is doing and how much power you send through it. There is no average temperature everywhere at every time. The point is, . . . . . don't overload the transmission and chances are, you'll be fine.

Chum lee

FunTwoDrv

NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum lee,
Thanks, it appears my options are the pan itself or the cooler line. I found a supplier for the quick disconnect fittings and of course welding a bung on the pan is pretty straight forward. Right now I’m going with the Scan Gauge to see how that works.
Our C isn’t too heavy as we travel light and don’t have slides. But, we tow about 4500#’s and travel the rockies every summer. Just thought I should at least monitor the temp to ensure I’m not abusing the trans.

Gary

FunTwoDrv

NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update: Finally got around to installing the Scan Gage on our 2014 Chevy chassis C. It worked well but would not display trans temp. I contacted them for advice and was sent a data logger to capture info from the computers. Well, that helped and they were able to supply setup info that yielded the trans temp!
Since this was the key parameter that motivated me to purchase, I'm very happy with both the functionality and support.
Gary

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's very impressive support!

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> GM Trans Temp Gauge Install?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.