|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Side mirror replacement

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
beaubeau

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few weeks ago we had to get towed. The shop we were towed to reports the side mirror was broken. Without getting into how that happened .... has anyone replaced the side mirror on a 2008 Tiffin Allegro QDB? I’ve ordered the mirror and hope to take it with me when I go pick up the RV , hoping to replace it before I have to drive it.

Chip & Nancy (and our 3 Shelties and 3 Cavaliers). 2008 Allegro Open Road Freightliner.

johnsonbert

Houston, TX-Ironwood, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/19 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have replaced the mirrors on our Dynasty, and there is really not alot to it, as long as you have the direct replacement with the proper electric connection for adjustments and heat if installed. It involves 2-4 screws or bolts holding it to the body and an electric connection under the front cap. Depending on the mirror, it can be heavy and awkward and could be a 3-4 handed operation. Depending on the condition of your damaged one, I would save it for parts or reconditioning to sell, depends on the damage. I would have some sealant on hand to put back in the screw holes during assembly. Hope this may help. Happy Trails Bert

2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is a Velvac Mirror replacent is easy.

remove broken glass at either the top or bottom you will see a piece of plastic that is a kind of latch. Carefully (And I mean Carefully) move the "Fingers" of the latch in to unlatch and push it down a bit.. Now hook the wires to the new mirror's heater (does not matter which one goes to which terminal electrically but may physically) and position the mirror. push the latch piece back into place and verify it latched.. Done.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

beaubeau

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies! Very encouraging.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beaubeau wrote:

Sorry, bad news if you are replacing the Arm and the mirror head. Tiffin foams in the 4 mount bolt nuts and washers and you will have to chip out that foam to get access in the front inside cap. Also, be VERY careful when chipping out the foam as the Camera and mirror motor wires are encased in that foam. If you can replace just the head and you are careful, you can splice the wires except for the camera wires. Usually, the camera has a quick connect inside the Mirror head. Doug

PS, YES, I have replace dozens of Tiffin mirrors over the years

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

beaubeau wrote:

Sorry, bad news if you are replacing the Arm and the mirror head. Tiffin foams in the 4 mount bolt nuts and washers and you will have to chip out that foam to get access in the front inside cap. Also, be VERY careful when chipping out the foam as the Camera and mirror motor wires are encased in that foam. If you can replace just the head and you are careful, you can splice the wires except for the camera wires. Usually, the camera has a quick connect inside the Mirror head. Doug

PS, YES, I have replace dozens of Tiffin mirrors over the years
An added point... When Tiffin installs their mirrors, they hook up the mirror head to the wire harness in the arm, pull the harness tight from under the front cap and THEN FOAM OVER THOSE WIRES AND 4 ARM BOLTS. You'll probably have to at least dig the wires loose from the foam. Tiffin is definitely not overly generous with this part of the wire harness.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

beaubeau

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again for all the help so far... I have the new mirror and have the retaining bolt removed from the old one. Any thoughts on the the trick move to get the old one to release?

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, you elected to do just the mirror head? To release it, make sure the Allen side screws are loose. If no Allen screws then just "pop" it with a rubber type mallet. Doug

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF you are trying to remove the mirror arm from teh base.. In addition to teh set screws (hex wrench type) there is another bolt under the beast.. Major pain in the .... pain it's capped you can see the cap if you look UP. again this is for Velvac mirrors

Suggestion download the manual

beaubeau

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These are not Velvac ... Rampro? Can't remember. But ... the trick was to put that retaining both back in, just a bit, and hammer upward on it [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Side mirror replacement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.