RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What happened to STREET VIEW in Google Maps?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> What happened to STREET VIEW in Google Maps?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used "street view" in planning routes. Just this week I tried to use it and I cannot get street view to work at all--NO street view.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know what to do about it?

I can't find anything through online search or Google help. I hope this does not represent a permanent change in what was a helpful planning tool.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just clicked on, saw a picture of my pickup backing in the driveway..
Have often found places that did not show.

F-TROUP

VISALIA, CALIF

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just opened goggle maps zoom satellite in on the location click on the little yellow man and then click on the map at your location it went to street view for me.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I quit using Google Maps Pro because I kept getting problems. ie could not get the site to close etc.
I use Google Maps now (plain version) and like some feature, like dragging a route to see a different route and the difference in time/distance. Some locations just don't show at street view, but some do. Traveling these routes is not as easy as Pro. It is jerky but does do the job

one_strange_texan

New Caney, TX (when not on the road)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Google Earth Pro, along with Google Maps and a couple of other resources to plan trips and stops.

Street view still has the "Little Yellow Man" to drag onto the map to get a street view wherever you drop him. He is just an outline on the right side of the map in my display, alongside with the zoom slider, North orientation, etc. controls. They all only become "visible" beyond outlines if you mouse over to them. The "Man" outline becomes invisible altogether above 300 miles elevation.

I'll add the observations that the Google Van 360 degree ground level imagery is the same data set that Google Maps uses. Always note the date of the imagery. Ground level is often older than satellite and updated less frequently in less traveled areas.

one_strange_texan
2015 Montana 3402RL
2015 Ram Diesel 3500 4WD single axle

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Google Maps, if you flip over to Satellite view, in the lower right corner will display the little "peg man" along with the option to display images. Click on the little yellow "peg man" and drop him onto the location you want to see the street.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is working for me. The little man is there even in standard map view. And moving him to the map shows street view.

There are some few areas where the google cars have apparently not been to video the area. Especially more remote areas, and newer streets that have not been there long enough to get their picture taken. I was in a street view picture for about 5 years before they came around again and took new pictures and dropping me out. So those are sometimes well behind time. Maybe you are looking at one of those areas.

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/13/19 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, everyone. Here is the situation: I was at a place where I had used street view before, so I knew that the data had been there. In the past all I had to do was go to satellite view and keep zooming in and street view would automatically open up. I had NEVER used the "little yellow man" in the past. But it seems to only work that way now.

I just tried it and all of you are right. I went right back to that same place and put the little yellow man to work -- BINGO, street view works.

I must say, I like the old way better, but this way works. Problem solved. Thanks.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn't the little yellow man on Google Maps called Pegman?

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are some remote locations where they just don't have Street View. It's annoying because you get pretty used to using Street View.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> What happened to STREET VIEW in Google Maps?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.