RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Entrance Door Strut mount torn out. 2020 JayCo GrayHawk

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Entrance Door Strut mount torn out. 2020 JayCo GrayHawk

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jolooote

Miami, FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Entrance door Strut (Shock absorber) ball mount on the bottom of the door has torn or snapped out of the door aluminium. Has anyone had this problem? How to fix? It looks like the ball mount was some kind of Rivet machine mounted into the door metal. Can't re-rivet a mount into it. Looks like I'll have to get some kind of 3/8" 10mm ball that will Screw into the door???
No, the Strut has not simply unscrewed. No, the Ball has not simply popped out of the Strut mount. Thout I'd save some typing time. lol.[emoticon]

Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'
2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe 'Hatchlift' has something as a replacement if your dealer can't help with this ? They might have the hardware that you can use.

YouTube has tons of ideas for installations.

One guy '327fls' swapped the location to the top of the door with a new piston. scroll for a pic on his post.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15379

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a pic of what is left? If there is enough material leftover, maybe a helicoil would work. If not, something like a "Nut-sert" might work better.

Yes, this is a common problem, and this is why many towables went away from struts and started installing friction hinges. But the struts are necessary still when the door needs to be restrained from opening 180 degrees.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would this one work? It has new holes that you could possibly rivet through.
Link

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/19 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A GTAW welder.

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/19 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can buy replacement ball mounts at any Camping World. I saved mine as they break and got a friend to weld the balls back on for me. Bad design, wind will always exceed the ability of the ball to arrest door motion, riveted or welded. I carry spares now. Also search eBay for "gas strut ball stud".

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My favorite one..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Nitro-Gas-Strut-Shock-Spring-Wall-Side-Bracket-Mount-10mm-Ball-Stud-SS/390869500839?epid=24023173265&hash=item5b01a343a7:g:8pkAAOSwBvNTpadm

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is not addressing the original poster's specific issue with his door strut being torn away, but seems a good place to share my no-strut solution.

We bought our rig new in 2007. Back then Phoenix USA did not provide a door strut or other type of door limiter. I wanted to limit the swing of our door in "soft stop" fashion for a few different reasons.

1) When the awning is setup, the door hits the support beam.
2) During exceptionally windy conditions, the door would rip out from my wife's hands, swing 180 degrees, and slam hard into the door stop.

My Micky Mouse solution installed back then continues to work well for us. The rope limiter offers a very nice soft stop. It attaches easily, and in our case, can be attached or detached with the door open or closed. Also, it never is in our way when passing through the door way. We always make sure it is attached on a windy day. Admittedly, it does not work perfectly with the roll-up screen door. Sometimes the screen door will roll-up open when the wind plays with the door held open with a bungee-cord.

The hardware I used is called a "weld nut". Google pics of weld nuts to see various types. I happened to find nice user-friendly thick round smooth ones at home.
[image]

As the years have gone by, I added a second rope, a bit longer for non-awning conditions. When we want to keep the door open, I bunge-cord the door open, utilizing the rear view mirror. It's hoaky, but it works. I have thought of installing a conventional door strut limiter, but we got well used to this method and it's flexibility to fully open the door 180 degrees....exceptionally nice when the rig is parked at home in our garage.
[image]

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/19 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a good idea Ron. On my 2017 Jayco Greyhawk, I removed the strut completely. What was happening was the bottom of the door would rub the strut and unscrew it from it's mounting points. So I re-attached it with some medium blue Loctite on the threads, but it was still a hassle so I removed it. I don't like how it fights your arm when you go to close it anyway. Much happier without it.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

jolooote

Miami, FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/19 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good help. Thanks all.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Entrance Door Strut mount torn out. 2020 JayCo GrayHawk
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.