|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Generator in Class C Rental

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jimlouisesophie

Ladysmith, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/19 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thx all for the replies...very helpful....I will go into further details..I am a Canadian, renting a 24 to 28 ft Class C and will be leaving from Whitehorse, Yukon to Dawson City, Yukon and will have the rental for 11 days, all but the last day will be dry camping, with no hookups and the campgrounds I will be staying in will be within 20 kms (12 miles ) between each other, and the rental will be from June 2 to June 13. The rental company tells me it is a 4000 W Cummins Onan, which is a very large unit, and burns 4 litres (aprox 1 gal. per hour) In Canada fuel is priced at $1.75 a litre Canadian, which converts to something like $7 Canadian per gallon, so one can see that it is very expensive to run..a rental Honda 2000 watt will cost me $300 Canadian for 2 weeks. The RV rental company recommends running the gen for 2 hours in am and 2 hours in pm..If u crunch the numbers, one can see that it will be very expensive to run the onboard gen..I am sure I will have comments on this info I have submitted...Thx, Jim

jimlouisesophie

Ladysmith, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/19 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One other thing, the RV company charges $100 for the use of the gen.

Lwiddis

Morro Bay, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/19 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$225 in gasoline savings by using a Honda just doesn't pencil out for a 14 day rental.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Lwiddis

Morro Bay, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/19 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK...a $125 difference is still almost nine bucks a day...your gasoline savings will be that much? Not IMO.

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/19 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J, L and S,

When you look at the whole picture and the amount of trouble carrying that extra genny and fuel, I would think it's too much trouble even it costs a few extra bucks.

And, you will most likely be buying fuel in the U.S.A. which is way cheaper.

But, everybody has their comfort level, you should do what works for you.

I am also surprised at the 'a gallon an hour' usage. I wonder if the rental unit has a solar panel to help charge the batteries?

We rented three times before purchasing our own RV (a gas class C, and two diesel class A's). It was not cheap but gave us tons of info on what we wanted if/when we bought.

Good luck and safe travels!
Mark

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo w/1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 1.5 baths, 4 slides.
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

chinrv

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/19 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First of all, the use of the generator in June should be minimal, no matter what the rental company suggests. Secondly, the ease of use with the built in generator versus some external unit really can't compare. Lastly, the cost of renting an RV has some expected expenses, but a few dollars worth of the gas used to run the generator would be very low on the expenses list compared to the other costs, i.e. campground fees, fuel used in traveling, etc. Of course looking at the big picture, enjoy the trip and experience, and don't sweat the small stuff.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/19 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4k Genset is actually small and tells me your rental is 30 amp. Not sure what the temps will be when/where you travel but it sounds like you won't need heavy AC usage. Sounds more like you want to keep the batts charged etc. Most big box rental companies don't have TV's so I am really not sure what you will use all this power for. Your water heater is LP, heater LP, stove Lp, refer LP, etc. Your AC will need electric, and your batts will need to be charged. Even if you ran it the prescribed 4 hours a day, I would bet that will burn less than 3 gals of fuel. 3 gals over 11 days is 33 gals. At USD $2.50/gal you will spend $82 USD. You would have to actually run the onboard generator 120 hours, or 10 hours a day to equate to the cost of your generator rental. And your generator rental also needs fuel. Add to that, your onboard generator uses the motorhome's gas tank. How are you going to transport all that fuel for the Honda generator? in summary, it's just plain easier and cheaper to use your onboard generator. That's why it's there. The ONLY variable is what they will charge you if you go over the generator usage limit. Probably something like $.50/hour - unless the $100 fee is unlimited usage. Then it's a no brainer.

On Edit;
I don't now where you are camping but you mention dry camping in campgrounds - unless I mis-read that. Is there a reason you aren't camping with electric hookups? And you will need hookups eventually if anything to dump your tanks and replenish water and probably LP. Is the cost of hookups at a CG more than the money spent on gen usage? Not sure I fully understood the dynamics of where you are staying.

* This post was edited 12/17/19 01:49pm by way2roll *

jimlouisesophie

Ladysmith, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/19 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK everyone....your recommendations r valid and I have decided to use the on board gen to keep my battery charged up and to use the microwave...lot easier, and really not that much more expensive. I only plan on dumping the tanks once, at the end of my RV rental return, as I am traveling solo and have had extensive experience in dry camping, using very little water (navy showers), not using the microwave for long periods of time, dressing in layers instead of using the furnace, etc. Thanks everyone for your input....really appreciate it.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

and remember this most rv built in gen set will shut off when the main fuel tank get to a a quarter of a tank. so if your using the gen set and it shuts down? check your main fuel tank level/

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/19 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another consideration is if your 2 week vacation is a road trip traveling to a new dry campsite daily, or even every-other day. Your house batteries will charge nicely while the vehicle is being driven. You may never need to think about your house batteries.

The only time you would run the generator is when you want to run the microwave oven or other 110V appliance.

* This post was edited 12/18/19 07:21am by ron.dittmer *

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Generator in Class C Rental
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.