|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Refrigerator question for you class A campers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Racklefratz

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A/C usage has been brought up once or twice, but no one seems to want to discuss it. One can run a residential refrigerator on house batteries and/or "solar" for limited periods of time, but those power sources won't run air conditioners. For those of us primarily in warm climates, A/Cs are every bit as important as the frig.

My personal opinion of "alternative energies", all of them, is that they're not ready for prime time. They're still expensive and inefficient. The sun's not always out, and the wind doesn't always blow. It's also true that the only way they even stay on the market is through government subsidies, for consumers through local power companies, or through massive federal subsidies for companies. Take away the subsidies and they disappear - remember "Solyndra"? Your tax money at work.

Our Allegro Bus has two sizable solar panels on top, and all they're good for is a small "polishing charge" if the 6 house batteries are already charged. I'd never expect them to keep up with even normal electrical demands of the coach, and the cost to augment them with enough additional panels to make any significant difference would be punitive - a very poor option.

Racklefratz

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2manytoyz wrote:

The only upgrade I've done to our is to build an external digital thermostat. The stock analog dial gives no indication of what temperature "#3" setting represents!

Here's another quick and easy way to keep track of temperature remotely: Buy a SensorPush sensor for $50, download the free app for your phone, and you can check the app to see the current temperature at the location of the sensor. My understanding is that it CAN be placed inside a refrigerator or similar and still function. The app also offers the option to set high and/or low temperatures at which the user will get a notification on the phone that the threshold temp was exceeded.

2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Racklefratz wrote:

My personal opinion of "alternative energies", all of them, is that they're not ready for prime time. They're still expensive and inefficient. The sun's not always out, and the wind doesn't always blow. It's also true that the only way they even stay on the market is through government subsidies, for consumers through local power companies, or through massive federal subsidies for companies. Take away the subsidies and they disappear - remember "Solyndra"? Your tax money at work.

Yeah, unfortunately you are mostly right. As an EE I sometimes work with solar farms and wind farms. Given enough real estate they can work. But for home use, the cost of a solar system, including batteries to use when the sun is not out, has an 8-12 year payback at the moment. Not cost effective for most. That said, having a system without batteries can payback in 5-6 years, but you will still be using utility power 50% or so of the time.

There is just not enough roof room to run 2 A/C units in a Class A.....

Al

Racklefratz

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FloridaRosebud wrote:

There is just not enough roof room to run 2 A/C units in a Class A

Which makes my point. I'm not an EE, but I can connect the dots. And, even if there were room enough for solar panels for A/Cs (and my coach has 3, not 2), the cost is waaaaay out of line with the amount of power they produce.

buddhawolf

New York

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winnebago is starting to phase in all-electric compressor drive refrigerators that don’t require much electricity when you’re dry camping. These kinds of refrigerators cool down quicker, hold temperature better, and should perform better at high altitude.

Refrigerator review

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/19 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours came factory with a 20 cubic foot residential fridge, (6) 31 series AGM house batteries and a 2800 watt inverter. If we are parked not using the coach, it can run the fridge about 24-30 hours. If we are using the coach inside, the generator needs to run several hours daily to keep the batteries up. The generators can be set up to do that automatically.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

mr3117r

nampa

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lithium batteries and solar panels will get you what you want. Get enough lithium to run the AC and fridge. I have 800 watts of solar and 600ah of lithium batteries. I purchased my batteries from Alibaba for about half of what they cost here in the states. I plan to add 600ah's more and then I should be able to power the ac for at least 10 hours.

2006 dodge 3500 srw 5.9 cummins
1995 Winnebago Vectra
16ft hewescraft river runner
1956 chevy bel air

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Refrigerator question for you class A campers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.