|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Leave it on or take it off

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
northshore

northshore

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2006 f 350 DRW crew cab, and haul my 2002 Lance 1130 camper, the truck handles the camper good, no problems.
At times we get the chance to use the camper and truck frequently and the camper stays on the truck, however we have gone months and months without using the truck and camper. We have enough room to off load the camper and keep it and the truck (separated) inside. Loading and off loading is not problem so that is not an issue.
For us loaded is as good as unloaded makes no difference to us.
The question; is it better for the truck and/or camper to be stored with the camper loaded in the bed of the truck or is it better for the truck to be empty while not in use, and the camper stored off the truck on a storage platform?

In the past Ive just thought the truck would be better off unloaded, but its just something I made up I really do not know if it makes any difference.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Springs slowly sag with age. Having all that extra weight on them will expedite the process.
All things being equal, I always left mine off during storage just for that reason.
Either way wont be the end of the world.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can always leave it loaded and take some weight off with the camper jacks.
Don’t overthink it.
The plus of a TCs functionality is that it can be removed from the truck and the truck used separately. This is also one of the biggest downfalls of a TC is that it fits in a pickup truck bed, so it’s an extremely heavy load for a pickup and it is cramped quarters for living space.
Imo, for “most” RVers, if you’re leaving it perpetually on the truck, then you’d be better served with a class C. (Folks that need 4wd excepted, even though we all know from Jayco creek that you don’t need 4wd, lol)

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best to take it off when not using it every weekend.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes water accumulate between camper floor and truck bed, so make sure it is not happening to you, but with camper weight taken off by the jacks, not a problem to keep it on the truck.
I would not worry about truck springs as good steel is not going to sag and motorhomes are having full weight whole life on them, but what I noticed on aged camper - the wood frame on front lower wall sags as whole frame holing cabover usually is 3/4 x 1.5" piece of wood.
Taking the weight off with jacks will keep it square.

deserteagle56

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My rig is stored inside, out of the weather. All I do is take some of the weight off the springs by jacking up the rear of the truck a bit and then putting a jack stand under the receiver hitch and letting a lot of the weight of the truck rest on the jack stand. I accomplish the same end using the camper jacks but my method is a heck of a lot quicker than having to raise up 4 camper jacks. Not to mention the wear on the camper jacks - mine act like they are on their last gasp anyway.

1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have typically lifted mine off the bed, even though the truck is parked underneath it. I will lower it to rest lightly on the bed so that all the weight isn't held by the jacks or the truck.

That said... I haven't had it off the truck since summertime. A 2nd truck (half-ton) arrived in the household, so it is getting all the light hauling duties. The big truck is only brought out if heavy hauling is needed.

-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/19 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always took mine off when not in use for the spring issue.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

You can always leave it loaded and take some weight off with the camper jacks.

Just a reminder, if you do this (and it is good advice) don't forget to undo the tie downs. [emoticon]

Edit: Though I suppose you could leave the tie downs connected, just be careful how high far you extend the jacks.

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/19 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

I bought this truck and camper that had been sitting for 14 years.

The owner had placed a 4x4 vertically underneath the rear bumper after jacking the rear bumper up removing the weight from the springs.

That's the only way I would store my camper on my truck for any length of time.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Leave it on or take it off
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.