|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> carburetor float failure

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
TOL

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/19 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was having problems starting my 2 year old Onan 7000 Genorator Model 7HGJAB-900k this is well maintained by me. On my last 5000 mile trip I had notice that it had become hard to start at times or would stop while I was driving and hard to start at times, I was driving at high altitudes and hot weather, thought it might be getting a little warm checked it and made sure altitude adjustments on carburetor were at 5000 ft checked oil was able to start it after a little while this continued a few times during the trip. I am now at my snowbird destination and my generator won't start at all, so I went to looking deeper into the problem and found that the fuel float was full of fuel and allowed fuel to continue to flow freely into the caburater out the air cleaner and down along side the generator in my opinion THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE !! raw fuel being poured out on a hot generator engine. That being said, if your having problems with flooding this should be something that needs to be checked. I have dealt with Onan before and as everyone I'm sure knows trying to talk to them can be like pulling teeth. This is not an uncommon problem and there are numerous posts on this issue and how to fix it with a 2 to 300 dollar new carburator. My quest here is to inform everyone of raw fuel on a hot eng when trying to start it, I will not be taking this to Onan, but to the agency's that can put a recall on this dilemma.

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a retired small engine tech and have seen this many times over the years. There is little anyone can do to prevent the problem short of buying a diesel which is fuel injected although the plastic floats are an improvement over brass.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had to replace floats in tractors/lawn mowers/chippers over the past 30+ years. Since all the floats are pretty much the same I am not surprised you occasionally get a bad one with Onan. If I had two year old Onan generator with bad float I would suggest talking to Onan rather than the govt.

Kevin

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/19 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carburetor floats can be fixed, repaired or bought. You don't need to buy a carburetor to fix the problem. If it quits the fuel pump will stop. If it doesn't start in a few seconds stop at see why. Not much fuel is lost when it isn't running.

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any small engine shop will sell a float and gasket. Install both and the problem is solved.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy and install yourself. easy peasy.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/19 01:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is almost impossible to buy many carburetor parts for Onan, just complete carburetors. If someone could provide a part number and a source it would be helpful to the OP.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too have seen this in a Car/Van (both actually) The cause was NOT float failure but needle valve failure.. and the cause of that turned out to be fuel pump failure.

The fuel pump diaphragm was flaking away and with a tiny piece of rubber got into the needle valve it could not close... Eventually the pump failed completly and then the problem .. went away.

I got real good at cleaning needle valves

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I too have seen this in a Car/Van (both actually) The cause was NOT float failure but needle valve failure..

I've seen it too.

Ehtanol in the fuel wrecks rubber parts in carbs that were designed prior to Ethanol. Ethanol in fuel has wrecked the carb on my DRZ400 three times.

Carb rebuild on power equipment / motorcycles is easy, providing you can buy the parts.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksg5000 wrote:

I have had to replace floats in tractors/lawn mowers/chippers over the past 30+ years. Since all the floats are pretty much the same I am not surprised you occasionally get a bad one with Onan. If I had two year old Onan generator with bad float I would suggest talking to Onan rather than the govt.
They are just looking for solutions at the wrong government level. Onans are sold around the world. Instead of seeking redress with the US government they should seek compensation at the World Court in the The Hague, Netherlands. That would be much easier than buying a new float or having a small engine shop repair the problem.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> carburetor float failure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.