|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Heated Mattress Pad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/19 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Considering adding a heated mattress pad to our IdealRest air bed in our Itasca Suncruiser. is anyone using one? any problems? can't imagine there would be any adverse issues using a heated mattress pad on an air mattress but thought i'd ask before pulling the trigger. any recommendations? looking at a dual-control model.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P4CZLE/ref=cm_sw_r_em_tai_c_yHy.DbY24HDH5

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not use a heated mattress cover/pad on any inflated mattress
Heat is going to make the air expand,
The mattress might get more firm than your setting
It might even start leaking at some seam or seal
From over expansion

If somebody does this successfully on a regular basis
Maybe the will chime in

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 12:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a mattress heated pad in both of our RV's and have for the last 31 years in our truck campers and 26 years in our Carriage 5th wheels. Both have air mattresses as we like them to sleep on.

The Lance TC's have had a queen Arrow Bed with an internal pump and has a 4 ft wired remote control that has dual side control for inflation so inflation level can be adjusted anytime on either side with just a push of a button. Haven't had to make any ajustments during the night and the Aero Bed mattress on the TC bed was purchased in 1997 and never leaked and still works fine. Never had a problem with inflation level due to heat expansion. Certainly couldn't tell any difference in inflation. The Aero Bed mattress was $120 when we bought it in 1997 but so glad we did.

We litterrally hate a cold bed at night and the air mattress with the heated mattress pad keeps the bed toasty warm. Remember that the mattress in a TC sits right on the cab over floor and has no air flow under it to warm it. The OEM mattress got so cold as we would use the TC in the winter in the U.P. of Michigan pulling our 2 Snowmobiles behind for many years hitting ther trails and the outside temps would be way below freezing and even had nights of -20F and one night of -29F. Imagine how cold that unheated OEM mattress would have been! Yup, I still have the 3 OEM mattresses out of our TC's and 2 out of our 5th wheels stored out in my finished unheated toy barn building yet. Basically unused... Maybe our grand kids might need one for one of their RV's and we have it and it's free for them.

Aero Bed quiit making the air mattress that we have in the TC so for the 5th wheel I only have used Coleman and Intech air mattresses and they work fine too.

They are real cheap and of course they don't last as long as the Aero Bed air mattress has. We usually only get around 5-6 years use out of them before they start losing air but that's OK as they are cheap to replace. We carry an extra new one under the bed storage area so we are prepared if a failure happens. No big deal!

No way would we go back to a normal mattress in our RV's because we are spoiled now being pampered. We're both 78 yrs now and still RV'ing a lot!

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Scottiemom

Florida/On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 03:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have always used a heated mattress pad on our air mattresses. Like the above poster, we used the AeroBeds till we could no longer get what we wanted and switched to Coleman then Intek. Never had an issue. We did use a foam topper on the mattress and then the pad. After I had back surgery to correct my problems, we were able to switch to a Dynasty gel mattress which we love . We recently put a heated mattress pad on it. I was unsure using one on the gel, but I researched it. As long as we didn't put it up on high, it was fine. The pad we bought had a timer, so it shuts after so many hours, which you can set. Really like it.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought my last tractor I replaced the mattress with a air and couple inches of memory foam. Used a 12V pump to inflate at bedtime, and dumped most of the air for traveling. (Only to keep things from moving on the bed) I used a 12V mattress pad any night it was cool or cold. Into the low 20s, that was all the heat used when sleeping.

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/19 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

Considering adding a heated mattress pad to our IdealRest air bed in our Itasca Suncruiser. is anyone using one? any problems? can't imagine there would be any adverse issues using a heated mattress pad on an air mattress but thought i'd ask before pulling the trigger. any recommendations? looking at a dual-control model.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P4CZLE/ref=cm_sw_r_em_tai_c_yHy.DbY24HDH5

We don't use it on an air mattress, but we do use the heated pad you reference, and have been happy with it.

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/19 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Sleep Number bed at home, which is air, and Sleep Number makes its own heated mattress pad, which we also have, so heating an air mattress is no problem. The only negative is it heats slower than an electric blanket. I use it a lot.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/19 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been wondering about heated pads too. Thanks for the replies.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JKJavelin wrote:

. The only negative is it heats slower than an electric blanket.

This may or may not be true. And if true, may or may not be a issue. I know that in my truck, my camper, or house, it has never been a issue for me. AFAIK, the real difference is you use one over, the other under you. Somebody told me heat goes up.

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/19 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

JKJavelin wrote:

. The only negative is it heats slower than an electric blanket.

This may or may not be true. And if true, may or may not be a issue. I know that in my truck, my camper, or house, it has never been a issue for me. AFAIK, the real difference is you use one over, the other under you. Somebody told me heat goes up.

I'm only speaking from my experience. The electric blanket we use in the camper has a 'preheat' button which warms it up within about 10 minutes. The mattress pad takes a lot longer. I don't know if others have a preheat. Both work very well once warmed up.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Heated Mattress Pad
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.