|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Heated Mattress Pad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think a heated mattress pad comes as close to ecstasy on Earth as you can get! We use one at home, and now while snowbirding in chilly Arizona I am using the one we had in the MoHo. Fantastic device. Put it under the regular mattress pad to eliminate those little lumps from the wires.

The MoHo had a sleepnumber, which to me was just a glorified air mattress. Never a problem with the heater. (As long as you have some 110 power!)

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/19 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JKJavelin wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

JKJavelin wrote:

. The only negative is it heats slower than an electric blanket.

This may or may not be true. And if true, may or may not be a issue. I know that in my truck, my camper, or house, it has never been a issue for me. AFAIK, the real difference is you use one over, the other under you. Somebody told me heat goes up.

I'm only speaking from my experience. The electric blanket we use in the camper has a 'preheat' button which warms it up within about 10 minutes. The mattress pad takes a lot longer. I don't know if others have a preheat. Both work very well once warmed up.

the one referenced in my OP has a quick warm-up feature. appreciate all of the responses.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been using a heated mattress pad on our Sleep Number for the past 10 years.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/19 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A little more info for using a heated mattress pad on an air mattress. We have always put a standard cotton mattress pad on top of the air mattress and under the heated mattress pad and is probably why the AeroBed, Coleman, and Intek air mattresses have lasted so many years without developing leaks. 22 years and still no leaks in the TC's. I feel that putting the HOT heated mattress pad directly on top of the vinyl plastic mattress would shorten it's life or cause leaking far more quickly.

All our RV's we've had since 1983 have had an inverter used in them starting with our first inverter owned which was an 1800 watt Heart Interface. The Heart Interface was actually purchased for use in our 30' Catalina sailboat and then the 34' Catalina but was very easy to disconnect and also use it in our RV's for 110 AC when off shorepower. It was heavy unlike the inverters of today but sure did work great as long as you had several deep cycle batteries. Had a built in 65 amp charger to recharge the batteries when the engine is running. Our AeroBed pump runs on 110AC and so does our heated mattress pads and having an inverter solves that when being off the grid.

Sure wish AeroBed still made the 8" thick model with the dual sides inflation control internal pump and a wired remote pod as I'd buy another one for the 5th wheel in a heartbeat. I'm limited to 8" thick in the Lance TC cabover bed as if any thicker it would block the wardrobe cabinet door from opening. Even a 10" would work fine in the 5th wheel as nothing is in the way but we'd probably have to leave the 2" thick memory foam off that is on the present 8" Intek as it makes it too high to sit on the edge of the bed. Maybe we both just need 2" longer legs!!!

* This post was edited 12/21/19 09:01pm by travelnutz *

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JKJavelin wrote:

I'm only speaking from my experience. The electric blanket we use in the camper has a 'preheat' button which warms it up within about 10 minutes. The mattress pad takes a lot longer. I don't know if others have a preheat. Both work very well once warmed up.

Like I said, YMMV. For me, turn it on, at the normal setting, and do my normal "get ready for bed" retinue. When I get in bed, it's warm. Now the spouse has a different plan. At home she has a timer, turns on long before she goes to bed. In camper, when she comes to bed she makes me move to the cold side.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over 160 dollars at Amazon

or .. Well when I first glanced at this in the sticks and bricks store this AM I read "Binford" (the fictional company on Tim Allen's HOME IMPROVEMENT show that made stuff with MORE POWER MORE POWER) but that is not the product name.

Walk in and put your money down (or card in the slot)

Heated pad at ALDI

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/19 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks. looks similar to the Amazon product but my grandpa always told me to beware of items priced waaaay below the competition. besides, we have a short queen.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/19 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

obgraham wrote:

I think a heated mattress pad comes as close to ecstasy on Earth as you can get! We use one at home, and now while snowbirding in chilly Arizona I am using the one we had in the MoHo. Fantastic device. Put it under the regular mattress pad to eliminate those little lumps from the wires.

The MoHo had a sleepnumber, which to me was just a glorified air mattress. Never a problem with the heater. (As long as you have some 110 power!)

power is not an issue. our boondocking days are in the rear view mirror.

thanks.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/19 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

JKJavelin wrote:

Like I said, YMMV. For me, turn it on, at the normal setting, and do my normal "get ready for bed" retinue. When I get in bed, it's warm. Now the spouse has a different plan. At home she has a timer, turns on long before she goes to bed. In camper, when she comes to bed she makes me move to the cold side.

that's a great idea. we already have a thin mattress pad on the air bed. I think i'll leave that in place and put the heated pad on top of that.

soon2bexpat

roaming the South West

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used heated blankets but they never seem to last. Went to this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZSHDE0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

19 months of use and it is going strong and feels awesome.

My vintage photo collection: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff0z54NyAfuAjUST896l6g

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Heated Mattress Pad
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.