|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Heated Mattress Pad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

thanks. looks similar to the Amazon product but my grandpa always told me to beware of items priced waaaay below the competition. besides, we have a short queen.

I fully agree and note that a lot of what Aldi sells seems to be ..er.. Less expensive to build (But still works well)

When I googled to find that link I came across several competitors including Wal-Mart some were even cheaper than Aldi's.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/19 11:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

JKJavelin wrote:

. The only negative is it heats slower than an electric blanket.

This may or may not be true. And if true, may or may not be a issue. I know that in my truck, my camper, or house, it has never been a issue for me. AFAIK, the real difference is you use one over, the other under you. Somebody told me heat goes up.

Hot/heated air does indeed go up.

Radiant heat radiates up, down, sideways ... wherever the surface(s) of the source(s) are pointing.

The hot wires in either a mattress pad or an electric blanket shoot out their radiant heat all around the wires up, down, sideways, etc.. I know ... as I've used electric blankets on top of me for decades, and they in fact do warm me just fine when lying under the bottom side of the blanket. [emoticon]

P.S. Now - for the real challenge - how many of us RV'ers use electric mattress pads or blankets when camping without hookups?

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 12:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Phil,

I've been using electric blankets for some years without hookups.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since the late 1980's we have been using either an electric mattress pad or a heated blanket in all our RV's when not on connected to shorepower. Makes zero difference to us or many others as we and most others also had/have a very capable inverter and an adequate number of batteries/amps to suppkly the DC power needed by the inverter.

Never once have we drawn the batteries below 50% charge yet in any month of the year. If you have large enough wire size going from the vehicle to the RV batteries/converter charger, the alternator output will recharge the batteries fast. Too small of a wire size (gauge) acts as a choke and the recharge takes many to very many hours to recharge them. Can't stress that strong enough! Also having a 1000 watt + generator and a 25-40 amp battery charger will do the job well enough too.

Some use solar but you still need enough amps output from adequate sunshine hours to be able to recharge adequately. Clouds blocking the sun and trees/leaves blocking the sun are a big issue in the eastern half of the USA as trees are almost everywhere and especially in popular CG's, state forests, national forests, national parks, etc.

An electric mattress pad or blanket doesn't draw that much current and it only draws current when heat is actually called for. We usually see 25% to 30% of an hour.

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used electric blankets or mattress pads for many years when needed, just not with an inflated air mattress

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/19 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we were to start using a heated blanket or mattress pad on our RV trips, we'd skip the efficiency loss of an inverter and plug them directly into a 12 volt recepticle coming from the coach batteries ... as can be done with these:
https://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-electric-blankets-c-90.html

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 11:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over many years I have tried out various 12v appliances
From bottle warmers to instant water heaters, to defroster / heaters

Fans and radios and tv worked
Everything that produced heat was a big Flop

I know there are travel blankets and such things
And some people have had good experience with them
But not me
I'll stick with 120vac items on an inverter
They use more power and there is conversion losses
But they do the job

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/19 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

Over many years I have tried out various 12v appliances
From bottle warmers to instant water heaters, to defroster / heaters

Fans and radios and tv worked
Everything that produced heat was a big Flop

I know there are travel blankets and such things
And some people have had good experience with them
But not me
I'll stick with 120vac items on an inverter
They use more power and there is conversion losses
But they do the job

As I understand it, an electric blanket consumes around 80 watts. This equates to only around 7 amps at 12 volts (when it's "on" ... but they cycle continuously, so AH draw averages less). What this means is that a 12 volt electric blanket (and mattress pad) should work far better than the 12 volt appliances you are referring to that require far greater 12 volt currents in an attempt to match the wattages of similar 120V AC powered household appliances.

A 12 volt powered electric blanket/mattress pad should functiton as good in an RV as a 40-50 watt TV functions in an RV. Inverter losses would thus be eliminated when using them night after night in an RV for comfortable drycamp sleeping so as to be able to maintain lower coach interior air temperatures ... and thus saving overall energy.

* This post was edited 12/30/19 07:11pm by pnichols *

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 11:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But you have to have 12v wiring going to the use area that will maintain the voltage needed at the amps needed
And many of these products only supply the stated heat level
When the engine is running and the alternator is supplying 13+ volts
What might be practical in a van
Is not so useful in a larger RV, like my 36ft rear bedroom class A
The amount of heat desired/needed various with the individual
I sometimes use a heat pad on my back before going to sleep
But again this is my home, not for my weekend use to play in the snow

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with 12 volt, which MrWizard has nibbled around is often voltage drop.

The "power" drops by the square of the voltage.

13.6 x 13.6 =~ 185

11.9 x 11.9 =~142

That's approximately a 23% drop in power. So now the effective wattage has dropped a heck of a lot. 80 watts x 77% =~ 62 watts.

The higher the wattage on the device the worst the results become, as the voltage drop is larger and larger.

That said, I've had good luck with a 12 volt 7 amp electric blanket. It is "old school" and doesn't have a timer on it to shut it off.

I have now moved to a mattress pad (from Aldi's) as they were being sold for just $65 USD last year. I love it--but wish I did not have to run the inverter.

Many hopes for a wonderful 2020 to all.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Heated Mattress Pad
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.