RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: US post new Mexican travel warnings

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> US post new Mexican travel warnings

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/19 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recall once when we were near El Paso hearing the mayor on the radio warning people that the battle going on across the river was dropping shots into the El Paso downtown area. And to stay away.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

Did anybody here see what happened when the police tried to arrest the son of El Chapo a few weeks ago? Tell me the last time something like that happened in the USA? I'm waiting.

Well I have to wake up the mods;
I seem to remember a while back when somebody that refused to pay his rent for ground rented from the people of the USA. "If you want to evict the cows"

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All depends on where you go. A lot of the Americans who travel to Mexico fly in, take a shuttle to the resort, and stay there the entire time.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVhiker wrote:

About two weeks ago, my wife and I were in Roma, Texas at the World Birding Center there, which is a nice overlook over the Rio Grande. Roma is a nice town filled with good people and good restaurants. As we were walking to the overlook, we heard a war break out - the number of shots of different types could not be counted. Literally - and I mean literally - hundreds of shots.

You have to be careful on the border.

I'm disappointed to hear that about Roma. My wife is looking forward to spending some birding time there soon. We'll still go, maybe just not stay as long as we'd like.

fwiw, I lived in south Texas for years back in the 80s and loved the people there. It was said back then that the illegals in the area (Kingsville) outnumbered the legals. But it was good people that snuck across to work their butts off. I never felt threatened at any time.
There are bad areas everywhere (and el paso has always been one imo). I've been in downtown Atlanta at 2am and didn't feel as threatened as I felt at 2pm in downtown San Francicso even tho I was armed in SF and gunless in Atlanta.

RVhiker

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

RVhiker wrote:

About two weeks ago, my wife and I were in Roma, Texas at the World Birding Center there, which is a nice overlook over the Rio Grande. Roma is a nice town filled with good people and good restaurants. As we were walking to the overlook, we heard a war break out - the number of shots of different types could not be counted. Literally - and I mean literally - hundreds of shots.

You have to be careful on the border.

I'm disappointed to hear that about Roma. My wife is looking forward to spending some birding time there soon. We'll still go, maybe just not stay as long as we'd like.

fwiw, I lived in south Texas for years back in the 80s and loved the people there. It was said back then that the illegals in the area (Kingsville) outnumbered the legals. But it was good people that snuck across to work their butts off. I never felt threatened at any time.
There are bad areas everywhere (and el paso has always been one imo). I've been in downtown Atlanta at 2am and didn't feel as threatened as I felt at 2pm in downtown San Francicso even tho I was armed in SF and gunless in Atlanta.

Roma is great. Good folks, good food, and a good tire repair shop (Rene's). Several hundred feet across the border is the problem.

By the way, when camped at Falcon Lake State Park we heard a very significant skirmish across the river. It was three very heavy volleys of gunfire.

There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Food for thought

https://time.com/longform/portugal-drug-use-decriminalization/

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last five years I worked in many high schools along the Texas border and central Texas. Talk about corruption and violence. You don't need to cross the border for that. The cartels are embedded in 20 major U.S. cities. Crime is rampant throughout most of the Americas.

We've waited too long to deal with the cartels. It's no longer just about drugs, they have diversified and have taken over many different industries and agriculture as well. Wonder why avocados are so expensive?

Our new Mexican president is a joke. The U.S. should clamp down on him. His policy for security and cartels in Mexico is, "peace and tranquility". No confrontations. Murders in Mexico have risen this year by 25%. The cartels are on to the new president and know they have free reign.

What happened in Culiacan with the son of El Chapo Guzman was a travesty. The president is responsible for that and the deaths that followed along with the tragedy of the LeBaron family in Chihuahua not to mention several ambushes of military and federal police. Disgusting.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

DallasSteve wrote:

Did anybody here see what happened when the police tried to arrest the son of El Chapo a few weeks ago? Tell me the last time something like that happened in the USA? I'm waiting.

Well I have to wake up the mods;
I seem to remember a while back when somebody that refused to pay his rent for ground rented from the people of the USA. "If you want to evict the cows"

Ba-da-bing!

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Albequerque is notorious. Every RVer I've talked with from there ,and El Paso told numerous accounts of thefts from them an family and neighbors, break ins etc.
Any city in Southern California...

Yes, Beverly Hills is notorious for the daily drive by gang shootings.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/19 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely in Southern California, Rodeo drive can be murder on your wallet!

navegator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> US post new Mexican travel warnings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.