|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Rear end ratios

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Can't make your mind specta?
Advertising Cheby and posting picture of Ford guru ?

Does it really matter???

Ford guru???????

EDIT:

I've been a Ford man all my life. My next car will be a Ford.
My Chevy PU has been THEE most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned.

[image]

I started leaning towards Chevy trucks after towing this snowcat with this 2007 3500 with the 8.1L Vortec.

The interior ergonomics just fit me better than the Fords did and it was more comfortable for me to drive.

The truck, trailer and snowcat weighed 27,000 pounds.

The 2nd half of last season and again this season I'm towing it with a 2009 F-450 with the 6.4L diesel.

That Chevy with the 8.1L gas will tow that snowcat up the canyon roads faster than the F-450 will.

The Chevy averages close to 5 mpg while towing that snowcat. That same as the f-450. And at 160,000 miles the F-450 has had the engine replaced twice, new complete FoMoCo engines.

I'm sure things are better these days, hopefully. We have a 2016 and a 2017 F-250 regular cab 4wd and I really don't care for either one of them.

I'm sure everyone loves their trucks. I know I love mine.

* This post was edited 12/24/19 02:55pm by specta *

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Side question. Can I not be labeled a senior member here if I'm not actually a senior?
Lol
No such luck . With your average post count you made senior in just under 5 weeks .

Oh dang... I’m gonna start posting under Kaytegs name. My post count is out of control! Lol

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@specta. Best thing to tow with a ford is a sno cat. That way you’re hauling something that can pull the ford the rest of the way up the mountian!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

I'm sure things are better these days, hopefully. We have a 2016 and a 2017 F-250 regular cab 4wd and I really don't care for either one of them.

I'm sure everyone loves their trucks. I know I love mine.

We get attached to what we have, but my 1st truck (Crew Cab) was Cheby.
Than I bought Ford and went from there.
When I was shopping around for new truck, back in 2016, there was no Dodge dealer in San Francisco (500 miles radius) who would talk custom options.
I found For dealer 60 miles away who order me SuperCab, 360 cameras, radars and GPS that even my 3 years older Mercedes can't match.
To top it , they gave me $5000 off MSRP + normal Ford discounts.
Hard to beat that.
The way I see it, Mercedes stands up between the cars.
When it comes to Superduty sizing, Ford, Dodge and Cheby all are pretty on the same level comparing options and pricing.
Than Ford salesman still answers my emails 3 years after the sale.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 03:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

When it comes to Superduty sizing, Ford, Dodge and Cheby all are pretty on the same level comparing options and pricing.

To me its personal preference. Not sure if one is really any "better" than the other.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

To me its personal preference. Not sure if one is really any "better" than the other.

Sometimes it can be "my grandfather drove Ford, my father drove Ford and that is what I am driving" [emoticon]
In real life you will find lot of factors.
Like I mentioned - salesman who is willing to work with you.
Better promotion at the time. Lot of people don't want to wait for customized truck and buy what dealer has on the lot.
Then when it comes to diesel - last 20 years did not have many good choices. When 7.3l is reliable engine, it is low HP and noisy.
At the time Dodge had better choice.
The 6l fiasco put big dent on Ford diesel reputation and when 6.7 is excelent engine, some people take long time to shake "bad wrap" (wasn't that with eggs?).
Than manufacturer politics. When I was searching - all the trucks on dealers lot were 4WD, crew cabs with sunroof >>> all the things I did not want, while they lack 360 cameras, not to mention that the options were pushing MSRP into 6-digit range. I bought my new truck for $60k and it fits my needs like a glove.
Only modification are Sulastic hangers.

deserteagle56

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

To me it is dealer availability.

If you live in Nevada (7th largest state) you have 3 locations with GM dealers. Reno area. Or 300 miles east in Elko. Or 450 miles southeast in Las Vegas.

This was a GM corporate decision some years ago. The small town dealerships weren't doing enough volume for GM so they shut them down. I used to have a Chevy and a GMC dealer nearby in Winnemucca. GM shut both of them down. Fallon had a Chevy and GM dealer. GM shut both of them down.

So why would anyone in rural Nevada buy a GM product? Why should I drive 170 miles to the nearest GM dealer when there is a Ford/Dodge dealership in every little town?

1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deserteagle56 wrote:

There's one brand that I'll never consider. The second one has pretty well ruled itself out so to me I'd travel a bit to buy the one I wanted.

When you spend that kind of money I'm never settle for second choice.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

If you live in Nevada (7th largest state) you have 3 locations with GM dealers. Reno area. Or 300 miles east in Elko. Or 450 miles southeast in Las Vegas.

This was a GM corporate decision some years ago. The small town dealerships weren't doing enough volume for GM so they shut them down. I used to have a Chevy and a GMC dealer nearby in Winnemucca. GM shut both of them down. Fallon had a Chevy and GM dealer. GM shut both of them down.

So why would anyone in rural Nevada buy a GM product? Why should I drive 170 miles to the nearest GM dealer when there is a Ford/Dodge dealership in every little town?

Buying new yes..When I bought a new truck in 2008 in Boise Idaho,I didn't really think about a dealer near home,I should have!The only dealer here is GM and it's 80 miles to the nearest other dealer of any kind..So servicing my new Ford included groceries and fast food we don't have here either..

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

Darn. Dodge seems better as my Ford has governor at 85 mph.
Doing the speed at 1/2 way to redline.

Thats strange. None of the older or newer Powerstroke pickups I've been in are limited to 85.

The factory speed limit is based off the speed rating of the stock (as-delivered) tires.

My experiences back in the day... Mid 1990's Chevy Caprice with the factory 5.7 "Vette motor". Stock tires were 110mph, computer slowed down at 108mph. Exact same car with a different trim package and Z-rated tires, sold as the "Impala SS" had a 143mph governor on the "149+" rated tires. That's also why the cop cars of the era had different wheels/tires (and computer programming) compared to their civilian counterparts.

-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Rear end ratios
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.