RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Essential tools to carry; pole saw.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Essential tools to carry; pole saw.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 03:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

Who made that 40volt green chainsaw? My Stihl wont fit in the Bigfoot basement. That green one might. I guess I could put it on the trailer...

40 v chainsaw

Here's a link to the my chainsaw. I also bought a 5.0 AM battery to go with it and use the 2.0 AM battery for the spare.

Mine has started leaking chain oil. If I were to buy a new chainsaw I would pick a different brand but you can use this one for dimensions.

Other than minor oil drips I've been very happy with the saw and its performance.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trail clearing is fine. But I can tell once I get in 12-15 miles that the crews don't get in that far. My mules are good at stepping over, around and jumping logs. I keep an axe on the first mule but rarely have to use it.

Lwiddis

Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/19 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I’d Doo it for free!”

He does. “I'm a volunteer for the US Forest Service and...”

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

this is my most essential camper tool, I would be lost without it

[image]

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

bb_94401

Columbia Falls. MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2x we carry a gas powered chain saw (with spark arrestor) and a pruning saw.

richclover wrote:

... All it takes is an overnight thunderstorm to bring down the deadfall across the only road out.

jaycocreek wrote:

... I knew a guy that went back on an older logging road and a tree fell over the road after he went through. He didn't have an axe or a saw and he had to walk out for help...

deserteagle56 wrote:

... Storms knock some of the trees over across the roadway. The Federal agency responsible is not about to send out a crew to prune trees or remove fallen ones.

richclover wrote:

.... Pine bark beetles have killed off lotsa trees and deadfall has become more of a problem. I’ve had to trim branches from leaning dead trees to avoid damage to roof or sides. I’ve also had to chain saw deadfall trees off of a forest service road ...)

We go on extended trips so we can explore further into various FS and BLM lands. We've often cut trees that fall across the road both inbound and outbound. We also remove rock fall as well.

In addition to beetle kill, there are a significant amount of fire killed trees still standing from previous years. It doesn't take much of a breeze to bring them down across the road, blocking your way out. Add a big storm with rain resulting in water saturated soil and lots of wind and you may not get out for some time.

Even if you are relying on an agency to clear the road, we ran into a 1 mile section on a FS road that had over 40 8" diameter trees down on our only route out. In this case the FS had cleared the road of trees just 2 days after the storm. Unfortunately they only cut out an opening as wide as their truck. There wasn't enough width for my dually to fit through with the TC on ....

Idaho State law "requires vehicles to carry a bucket with minimum 1 gallon capacity, 24" handle shovel with a 6" blade, and a 4-BC fire extinguisher" when recreating on Idaho state endowment trust land. Forest service suggests an axe as well.

Better to be prepared. A chain saw, an axe or a mountain bike beat walking out.

'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The one thing no one mentioned is that if you are cutting or pruning any live trees you have to make sure whatever you are cutting with has been properly cleaned. If you make a cut on a tree that has a disease and then make a cut on a healthy tree you can transfer that disease. You can also be bringing that disease from one area to another.

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I do carry pruning saws and loppers, not so much for camping purposes but for the work I do. And a bucket and a shovel. And a jigsaw and an inverter. I suppose if I had to I could cut a tree out of the way of the road.

The thing about being stuck somewhere is it brings out your creative side. I'm sure Buzzcut1 could claw his way through an 8-inch tree with his churchkey if he had to.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio wrote:

Well I do carry pruning saws and loppers, not so much for camping purposes but for the work I do. And a bucket and a shovel. And a jigsaw and an inverter. I suppose if I had to I could cut a tree out of the way of the road.

The thing about being stuck somewhere is it brings out your creative side. I'm sure Buzzcut1 could claw his way through an 8-inch tree with his churchkey if he had to.

I carry an axe and two different sized folding hand saws at all times. But I make dang sure that I can always easily crack open a cold beer. A man has to have his priorites straight.

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plus you're a lot more likely to get some help with this imaginary tree if you have cold beer on hand.

I don't even drink, but now I'm thinking I should add beer to my tool kit for that reason.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 10:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio wrote:

Plus you're a lot more likely to get some help with this imaginary tree if you have cold beer on hand.

I don't even drink, but now I'm thinking I should add beer to my tool kit for that reason.

I carry a bevy of Non Alcoholic beers with me. Been sober since 1981.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Essential tools to carry; pole saw.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.