RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Essential tools to carry; pole saw.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Essential tools to carry; pole saw.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a matter of fact, I just acquired an 18v Milwaukee saws-all last month. It is in my truck this moment. I don't take to much to heart when I try to make a decent subject a talking point. There will always be a naysayer. I personally do a lot of boon-docking and you can never be to prepared for what comes your way. For those who don't live here in the Northwest, trees fall and branches hang. It's just part of what we do here. I totally understand why a shovel is a good idea for all kinds of reasons. Happy Holidaze everyone!!

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

[image]

I carry a 40v chainsaw with me everywhere I go when camping. I use it to clear existing roads.

I'm not sure whether to thank or curse you. I'm now looking at cordless saws and trying to justify that my bow saw is enough...

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

I'm now looking at cordless saws and trying to justify that my bow saw is enough...
It isn't. [emoticon]

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

specta wrote:

[image]

I carry a 40v chainsaw with me everywhere I go when camping. I use it to clear existing roads.

I'm not sure whether to thank or curse you. I'm now looking at cordless saws and trying to justify that my bow saw is enough...

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

I'm a volunteer for the US Forest Service and spend a lot of time in the spring time removing fallen trees off the trails.

I've used this chain saw a lot and I'm very pleased with it.

I bought a second battery for it, that's my extra fuel. With the cost of the saw and the second battery I could have bought nice gas chain saw but I refuse to strap a messy gas chainsaw on the front of my ATV and carry extra 2-stroke mix.

[image]

I take it with me in the snowcat when I groom snowmobile trails.
It always starts regardless of the temperature or altitude and its light enough I can use it one-handed when I need to reach to get a tree.

If I was going to cut piles of firewood I'd get a nice Stihl chainsaw.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^I wanna be YOU!!
That looks like a blast! I’d Doo it for free!
Think I found another retirement hobby when that finally happens!
I’m gonna groom snomachine trails!
Do you ride specta?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

richclover

WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/19 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“...I'm a volunteer for the US Forest Service and spend a lot of time in the spring time removing fallen trees off the trails....”

Specta, in Utah, thanks for volunteering and for posting the photos. That’s why I carry my chainsaw on boondocking trips to the mountains. All it takes is an overnight thunderstorm to bring down the deadfall across the only road out. I have that T-shirt [emoticon]

Ps. Mine is a Stihl, loaded up in the truck with a couple extra gallons of mixed gas and a spare chain.

Works for me.

Rich
2018 Ram 4X4 2500HD Cummins
2020 Chaparral 336TSIK
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2019 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000
SW WY

Old Islander

British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazing some of the comments about this subject. Political correctness seems to have become a thing, regarding the use of saws in the woods. I guess it depends on where you live and camp.

My buddies and I have been hunting/fishing in the back country of south to central BC for well over 50 years -- pretty much all on crown land or land under timber license to assorted forest companies. And we have never ventured into the back country without gas powersaws.

Coming out from some of our remote locations, I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say we've needed the saw for 50+ trees across the road, usually due to heavy snowfall. Every fall, it seems branches have appeared one way or another, that would damage the camper sides or roof. Anyone cutting back these branches and 'leaners' is doing everyone else a favour.

We seldom camp in national parks, unless it's a 'sight seeing' vacation. But the saw is still in the basement, in case we come across a tree across the road. This can happen anytime, anywhere. And in many of the places we visit, you might wait days or weeks, for someone else to come along with a saw and bail you out.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/19 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who made that 40volt green chainsaw? My Stihl wont fit in the Bigfoot basement. That green one might. I guess I could put it on the trailer...

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 11:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm just saying it again...it is worth a conversation. Being prepared, specta thanks for the pics...this is exactly what I was talking about....great visuals. You need saws and this really proves it beyond a doubt. The hangers can tear a hole in your roof in a second, hence the pole saw, but a down tree can really ruin your day if you can't remove it. Example; Coming back out of the Mount Hood National Forest one weekend,(in the snow), not a huge tree but one tall enough to completely block the road across.. I came up on it coming back down and a few cars had stopped on the other side...no one had any thing to cut with, but who did? Yeah me..so it goes to show that my advice to someone who had never been further off a paved road is not a good piece of advice? I beg to differ. If you do this long enough you learn what to expect..what can go wrong will go wrong, trust me. Tools of the trade.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 03:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^I wanna be YOU!!
That looks like a blast! I’d Doo it for free!
Think I found another retirement hobby when that finally happens!
I’m gonna groom snomachine trails!
Do you ride specta?

Clearing the trails is a blast and I do it fro free. [emoticon]
I spend a lot of time on my ATV. That's why I have a camper. [emoticon]
I don't ride sleds. They'd kill me. LOL

Living the good life. Snowcat video.

I do get paid to groom snowmobile trails though.

* This post was edited 12/25/19 03:19am by specta *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Essential tools to carry; pole saw.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.