|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Tablet Battery Charging

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
docsouce

Seekonk Ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I'm using my Tablet as a GPS, and have it on constantly, will it damage the tablet battery to it plugged to an accessory charger all the time it is in use, or should I wait until the battery discharges and then plug it in to fast charge. Seems the only accessory chargers I'm finding are fast chargers and i wonder if constant connection to a fast charger will damage the battery.This would be concerning a Samsung 8 inch TAB A tablet.

2016 Thor Freedom Elite 22e
Just right for the two of us!

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A fast charger won't harm it, just don't keep it charging 24/7.
A general rule is to keep it between 30-80% for longer battery life.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you read the manual?

It will tell you if it would damage it and to not do that.

In reality, with all the tablets and smart phones my family has gone through over the years, not one battery has been damaged or burned out by leaving plugged in 24/7.

You tablet has a built in battery charge module which is designed to prevent over charge and over discharge which would destroy the battery.. This module doesn't care if it is a "fast charge" or normal charge type charger.

If you use a standard charge (USB port limited to .5A (500 milliamps) or a fast charger (3A or 3,000 milliamps) it doesn't care, the lower charge current means the tablet will take longer to recharge and higher charge current allows tablet to recharge as fast as it can up its max rating with out damage.

Our attempts with tablet GPS absolutely required being plugged in 100% of the time. The GPS software would drain the tablet battery in just a half hr and plugging in the charger resulted in having to restart the GPS software then wait 10- 15 minutes for acquiring sats then reloading our trip info..

Plug in and enjoy.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use my Samsung TabA to monitor engine parameters through an OBDII dongle. It stays plugged in to a 2A USB port 24/7 and I have seen no problems with the batteries. The onboard charging systems seems to manage it just fine. Once at the destination, DW will use it for Kindle and recipes. Batteries seem to last just as long as when it was new.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is hard to imagine, with all this technology, that they'd allow a battery to overcharge. But, my laptop keeps telling me I'm "plugged in, not charging."

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To repeat what I posed two days ago.
I speak from personal experience.

Don't leave it charging 24/7
I ruined one that way.
I used it as a hotspot all summer at the cottage.
As it was explained to me. The phone will stop charging at 100% but it always sips away using background app like wifi, blue tooth etc. The battery drops to 99% so it charges up again.
If it does that for hours on end it will heat up and deteriorate. Mine swelled up so much it popped off the back cover.

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Samsung TAB A went a whole day (12 hours) with Co-pilot running without being charged. Charged it overnight. Battery life is very good on that tablet.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a Samsung cord that plugs into the 12v accessory receptacle (aka cigarette lighter).

* This post was edited 12/24/19 12:17pm by zigzagrv *

freetime58

Winnipeg

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/19 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 4 Ipad's that provide access/controls to all the smart systems in my home, steams music, runs the security and camera system, etc., they are constantly plugged into power and have been for 4 years now with never a hint of any issues.

Lwiddis

Morro Bay, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Apple makes no comments regarding "fulltime" charging for my iPad2. It does, however, say if the iPad will be stored for a while the battery should be at 50%.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Tablet Battery Charging
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.