|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New 5th Wheel Manufacturer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travlingman wrote:

Here is an article from dealer show that tells a little about the build. Looks like it will be in the range around the Riverstone, Landmark, etc.

Looks interesting but no surprises. I was hoping that they would build their own chassis and a quality unit like Carriage used to be. I have one of the last off the Assy. line before they closed and I will tell you it is quality all the way. No build issues at all. Let's hope this company gets away from Lippert and really has quality and the consumer in mind.

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joelc wrote:

Travlingman wrote:

Here is an article from dealer show that tells a little about the build. Looks like it will be in the range around the Riverstone, Landmark, etc.

Looks interesting but no surprises. I was hoping that they would build their own chassis and a quality unit like Carriage used to be. I have one of the last off the Assy. line before they closed and I will tell you it is quality all the way. No build issues at all. Let's hope this company gets away from Lippert and really has quality and the consumer in mind.

We had a 2011 Cameo. Carriage closed in 2012 and we traded it for a built to order 2014 Lifestyle LS36fw. Lifestyle is a direct carry-over of Carriage with improvements in the slide-outs and a couple of other things. Like you, I know its a well built rig with an in-house built strong frame.
We have looked at the Tamps show every year since but walk away knowing that what we have is built far better than the new ones. It will be 6 years old in march and never was back to the dealer. Nothing inside is separating or has needed adjustment. No cabinets have separated, no doors have come off, no molding has come loose, no closet clothes rod loaded with clothes has fallen down, no delam (hung wall construction, etc.
The interiors of new RVs look soooo cheap. The manufacturers are fooling the buyer into thinking they are producing chic, modern interiors. Its just a disguise for CHEAP.
Bottom line is, until we stop buying such junk they won't stop building it. Bling and marketing sells and RV manufacturers have endless claims to R values, etc.
I again can't stress enough that they should focus on is build quality no matter the price point so they don't spend so much time on warranty work. The customer does not want to have to return to the dealer and cancel upcoming trips due to service issues.
I wonder if the guys starting this new company follow the forums? Bottom line is going to THEIR bottom line.

* This post was edited 12/25/19 11:27am by pcm1959 *

2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they truly want to shake up the RV market and build a higher end RV, they need to go to a Young's Welding powder coated frame and Mor/Ryde IS suspension, upgrade insulation, dual pane windows, real leather furniture and better flooring.

I an so thankful that we got one of the last HitchHiker Champagnes built...a solid true full time rated trailer.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I joined the Alliance FB group where the company solicits input from potential customers. The group is fairly active with the company answering questions and in some case making input led changes. Here is the pinned post. None of this is earthshaking but it is nice to see a company listening to potential customers. We are holding off on a new trailer until next year so we might throw them into the ring for consideration although I think a new Solitude is in our future.

I am not at all affiliated with them, this is just cut and paste from Facebook.

Long post alert: There was a great question asked on this page earlier today in regards to how Alliance RV will be significantly different from the rest of the industry in a number of different areas. While we have answered many of these in one fashion or another over the past few months, we welcomed this opportunity to compile a number of these critical topics into one post. Thank you again for following our progress and providing your input.

1. ENGINEERING AND CONSTRUCTION – One of the biggest areas we have heard expressed repeatedly as needing improvement was with the running gear (ie. tires, axles, springs, shackles, etc). To enhance the “safety cushion” available and minimize potential for running gear failure during your travels, our standard running gear system consists of the following: Dexter HD 4000 lb springs (ipo 3500 lb), MorRyde CRE3000 suspension, MorRyde HD shackles and wet bolt kit, and a 14-ply G-Range tire rated at 4,400 lbs (ipo 4080 lbs). Disk brakes will be an available option for those that desire. We have also taken this same approach of durability with our holding tanks as all have been significantly reinforced with additional steel bars and straps. While no manufacturer will recommend travelling with full tanks, we know that there are times this is done and we want to make sure that the tanks are securely installed. The construction of our coach shell consists of all our vertical surfaces being laminated construction with an Azdel substrate (ie. sidewalls, rear wall, slideroom walls). The floor is aluminum framed with fiberglass insulation and the roof is 5” crowned wood trusses. We chose wood for the roof so as we fastened the roof panels and trim to the ceiling, our fasteners have better bite into wood than they do aluminum. When it comes to plumbing the coach, we have used all American made PEX water lines and clamps (no braided hosing), along with plumbing shut off valves at key locations (sinks, toilets, washer/dryer prep area, etc.) In regards to the wiring of the coach, we are using color coded and numbered wires to help with both the serviceability and for the ease of those looking to do personal modifications.

2. FLOORPLANS – We will be launching in January with 4 floorplans and expand the lineup ultimately to 8-10 floorplans throughout 2020. Our initial focus is on some key traditional layouts that we have put our unique stamp on to enhance the overall functionality of the unit. Please note that a traditional layout does not mean that it has the same traditional functionality of what you have seen historically. As we expand the lineup, I would expect that we will debut a couple less traditional layouts.

3. SALES/DISTRIBUTION NETWORK – We are currently in process of establishing our dealer network which will ultimately comprise of dealers across the US and Canada. We have had significant interest from dealers across the country and are taking our time to partner with who we believe to be the best overall sales/servicing dealer in each market. We will be launching in January and will need to roll out our product in a controlled manner. With our unique business model of partnering with only 1 dealer per market, we will be fully vested with that one dealer in a market who will carry all of the Alliance brands as we expand our lineup. This is a rare model in the RV industry that will allow us to forge stronger partnerships with our dealers that will also benefit the owners of Alliance product.

4. CUSTOMER SERVICE/WARRANTY – We are diligently working to build a better product, but by no means do we claim we will be perfect. In the case that there is a service/warranty need that arises you will find that our ability to communicate will be how we stand out above what has become the “norm” for the RV industry. We need our dealers and will recommend that you work through your local dealer. However, we also understand that every service situation seems to have its own unique set of circumstances and getting to the local dealer may not be feasible. Our ability to keep open lines of communication and creative service solutions will help us navigate thru finding the best route for a specific case. On top of this we are also incorporating a number of service/warranty programs for our dealers that will help streamline the approval process and parts delivery times (All towards the goal of getting the customer back on the road faster).

5. INNOVATION – I think this can best be summed up by our customer driven approach. As we are inviting feedback from RVers, we are listening and using this information to find ways that we can address many of the common needs, wants, and even simple functional items that other manufacturers have not yet addressed. Following are just a few of these customer driven features we are implementing:
a. Flush floor kitchen slide
b. Light dimming switches (This is something that we saw many consumers doing in the aftermarket)
c. Soft close cabinet doors and toilet seats
d. USBs on both sides of sofa, loveseat and master bed
e. Smart storage areas (pull out fireplace storage, flip top end table storage and flip top dresser storage)

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2400 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Travlingman

Jonesborough, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman wrote:

If they truly want to shake up the RV market and build a higher end RV, they need to go to a Young's Welding powder coated frame and Mor/Ryde IS suspension, upgrade insulation, dual pane windows, real leather furniture and better flooring.

I an so thankful that we got one of the last HitchHiker Champagnes built...a solid true full time rated trailer.

Ken

What currently produced 5th wheels use a Young's frame?

2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

work2much wrote:

Man was it ever.....Massive snip job. Hard to pile that stuff up so high.

I'll believe it when I see it. 3 bigshots who worked for Heartland, the great manufacturer of RV quality construction. I heard the same spew from 3 different Industry cats @ 2012 who were with Keystone, and now pump out product that is nothing special when compared to many other brands or divisions of brands.

I can get the same exact yada yada on many Facebook pages, in brochures
, and on websites. G rated tires? Anyone want to bet some brand from Lionshead? Aluminum framed floor? Notice the word laminated is not used, nor specically called out as not being used.

The RV Industry is run by scheisters who are better at marketing than they are at building RV's, They apparently have no problem finding an almost unlimited supply of suckers to join in on the fun.

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

work2much wrote:

Man was it ever.....Massive snip job. Hard to pile that stuff up so high.

I'll believe it when I see it. 3 bigshots who worked for Heartland, the great manufacturer of RV quality construction. I heard the same spew from 3 different Industry cats @ 2012 who were with Keystone, and now pump out product that is nothing special when compared to many other brands or divisions of brands.

I can get the same exact yada yada on many Facebook pages, in brochures
, and on websites. G rated tires? Anyone want to bet some brand from Lionshead? Aluminum framed floor? Notice the word laminated is not used, nor specically called out as not being used.

The RV Industry is run by scheisters who are better at marketing than they are at building RV's, They apparently have no problem finding an almost unlimited supply of suckers to join in on the fun.

We are looking at 5th wheels that aren't any longer than 35' pin to bumper. We have looked at Pinnacle, Montana, VanLeigh and Solitude. They more or less look the same as far as floorpan, frame and axles.

Is there a manufacturer you recommend we consider? We cannot afford a true top of the line coach like Spacecraft, DRV etc and they are longer than we want. So far the unit that has impressed us the most is the Solitude but that's based mainly on people we have talked with and the support they have received from Grand Design. We are still shopping and open to suggestions including used b ut not more than a few years old.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travlingman wrote:

TXiceman wrote:

Ken

What currently produced 5th wheels use a Young's frame?

Sad to say...NONE. But Young's is still in Chanute, KS

Ken

jdb7566

minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/19 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

work2much wrote:

We are looking at 5th wheels that aren't any longer than 35' pin to bumper. We have looked at Pinnacle, Montana, VanLeigh and Solitude. They more or less look the same as far as floorpan, frame and axles.

Is there a manufacturer you recommend we consider? We cannot afford a true top of the line coach like Spacecraft, DRV etc and they are longer than we want. So far the unit that has impressed us the most is the Solitude but that's based mainly on people we have talked with and the support they have received from Grand Design. We are still shopping and open to suggestions including used b ut not more than a few years old.

Mainly I would look for fit and finish. Screws not set at an angle, trim lining up, windows and doors open and close smoothly, and not only on the interior, exterior also. Try to look past the glitter. VanLeigh is the only one you listed, not made in Indiana. Tour the factories first, if you can, I wish I had before we bought our Solitude.

* This post was edited 12/27/19 07:54am by an administrator/moderator *

AirSupport

Boondocking somewhere in N. America

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still like the Riverstone. Although the one we love is 43’ long, I just wish they made the floor plan at under 40’. Oh well, looks like I’m getting the 43’-er. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New 5th Wheel Manufacturer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.