|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is dash cam evidence allowed in an investigation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

mobeewan wrote:

bigred1cav wrote:

if you're at fault destroy the video

I guess you don't realize that would be a crime in itself of destroying evidence.

Not sure about that any more. What happens in Fed court shows up in states. In the news lately lots of stories about hiding evidence of mis-deeds is socially acceptable to a large percentage of population...

As are lots of stories about attempting to charge someone without any evidence that are socially acceptable to a large percentage of the population. Not sure what any of it has to do woth dash cams.

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Is it allowed in the investigation"
Define who is in charge of the investigation,....because if it's a legal question, it's more a question for the courts to decide.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

...In the news lately lots of stories about hiding evidence of mis-deeds is socially acceptable to a large percentage of population...

That doesn't sound like news. Bad guys have been burning the papers, tossing the gun, and burying the bodies for a long time. [emoticon]

Deleting electronic data that was mine to delete isn't a crime. Deleting electronic data that *potentially* showed me to be at fault is not evidence of me being at fault. It certainly looks bad, but its absence is not proof of bad.

-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric&Lisa wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

...In the news lately lots of stories about hiding evidence of mis-deeds is socially acceptable to a large percentage of population...

That doesn't sound like news. Bad guys have been burning the papers, tossing the gun, and burying the bodies for a long time. [emoticon]

Deleting electronic data that was mine to delete isn't a crime. Deleting electronic data that *potentially* showed me to be at fault is not evidence of me being at fault. It certainly looks bad, but its absence is not proof of bad.

-Eric

Yes, but in times past, when it was suspected of hiding evidence, it was investigated. And if found to have happened, more charges added. But know, one guy can run the stock market up and down at will, and about a third of the population bent over pants around ankles, shrieking "Don't look! Don't look! Don't find out if that fist is just to wrist or elbow."

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A whole lot depends on
A: What the camera saw and recorded
B: the court.

However in the investigation.. I'd think the Officer/Trooper/Deputy would be very very very interested in what the camera shows.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me personally, I’d like to let the other driver tell the officer their version first, and then I give mine second, mentioning the video will confirm my story and disprove theirs

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric&Lisa wrote:

-Eric

Actually, they have this covered. If you reasonably should have known that it was evidence in a case, you better have a darn good explanation why you deleted it...and not wanting to be found at fault isn't a good explanation.

Obviously, they have to catch you but if caught, the can and will get you for evidence tampering.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I reformat my SD card daily. sorry about that.
bumpy

tdiller

usa

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny I read this post yesterday and just last night as I was babysitting my granddaughter while my son went to the doctor, my son called me on his way home to tell me that he was delayed because he was a witness to an accident. He captured it on his dashcam and mentioned it to the officer. The officer took his memory card form the dashcam as evidence. So now he has to buy a new memory card. My dashcam on the other hand allows a wifi connection to my smartphone so I can transfer the video file to my smartphone and then do what ever with it. Like email it to the officer.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tdiller wrote:

Funny I read this post yesterday and just last night as I was babysitting my granddaughter while my son went to the doctor, my son called me on his way home to tell me that he was delayed because he was a witness to an accident. He captured it on his dashcam and mentioned it to the officer. The officer took his memory card form the dashcam as evidence. So now he has to buy a new memory card. My dashcam on the other hand allows a wifi connection to my smartphone so I can transfer the video file to my smartphone and then do what ever with it. Like email it to the officer.

The officer aint going to go for that. Its a chain of evidence thing. He'll get his card back (may have to be a pest in some places), but it'll be a while.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is dash cam evidence allowed in an investigation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.