|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tow Vehicle rating and comfort

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a little under that, and that engine does wonderfully well. Depending on what tires you have, when it's time to replace them, go with "E" capacity tires. That made a noticeable improvement in my towing stability.

Get a good weight distribution hitch. I bought an R3, and knowing what I know today, I'd step up to the R6.

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Short answer. Yes, you can. But, I will mirror the comments about payload capacity. I tow my trailer with a Tundra. My GVWR on the trailer is something like 7200 and I regularly go down the road with about 6500 as a trailer weight. I have stopped and measured this a few times.
The Tundra is rated to two 10K but..at this is the challenge with all half tons, it only has a payload of 1700. With my WD hitch I will drop very close to 900 pounds on the ball, the two of us come in about 350 which doesn't leave much room to pack things into the bed. I am find with axle loads and GCVW numbers. The Tundra tows nicely and it has plenty of power to handle mountain passes.
I have heard a lot of positive things about the Eco Boost engines. Watch your payload and you should be good to go.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 2013 F150 with Eco pulling a 6800 pound trailer for several years. Power will not be an issue for you. I weighed my combo set up for camping, and found I was 500 pounds over rear axle weight. You shouldn't have that issue as your trailer weight is less, unless you really load up the truck bed. The 2 issues I did have were the unsettled feeling when a big truck went by (you can overcome that if you anticipate the truck coming), and during my semi-annual crawl under the truck to inspect the hitch, I found the receiver was splitting out- it was already about half way back. I got it welded and reinforced, but as I was ready to get another truck (for other reasons), I went with an F250 this time.

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

jeraco

CLT, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like the truck would handle it pretty well. My back-of-the-napkin calculation for extra weight is 1750# (people and dogs, 60g water, and stuff (including my battery and propane). That's using 62% of my tow capacity... Does the GCWR assume a full tank of gas, or do I need to add that in too? (eyes roll to back of head)

Thanks everyone for the great info and input!

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the truck setup properly with a good weight distribution hitch like a Blue Ox or Equalizer thats got built in sway control and you'll be good to go. You've got plenty of truck for that size trailer.

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is possible to fill a F150 with 5 people, bikes, and food enough that you effectively have zero tow capacity because you have no capacity for the tongue weight

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K_and_I wrote:

The 2 issues I did have were the unsettled feeling when a big truck went by (you can overcome that if you anticipate the truck coming), a

"E" load truck tires made a huge difference on my f150 with passing semi's.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/19 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I could afford wrote:

It is possible to fill a F150 with 5 people, bikes, and food enough that you effectively have zero tow capacity because you have no capacity for the tongue weight

Or in other words, unless you and 4 passengers are all 300lbers and actually ride bikes too, you'll still be totally fine...

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 01:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is possible for me to do that with my 1 ton dually as well.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/19 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In that case, buy an F250.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tow Vehicle rating and comfort
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.