RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: *NEWB ALERT* question about TT up keep

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> *NEWB ALERT* question about TT up keep

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terd_Ferusgson wrote:

Anyone have exp with the cones that the electric tongue jacks foot sits on? I have a red one that was gifted to me. I don't sit the jacks foot on the group it is always on this cone, I am thinking maybe this could adding to the problem and maybe I should try getting a metal foot to attach to the jack without using the red cone.

red trailer pad

I can't believe that wouldn't wobble. Get some pieces of lumber and glue them together with waterproof epoxy.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

Terd_Ferusgson

sacramento, ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really need to try that out. I have some pieces of 2x6 that would work in my garage. But this cone was gifted to us and seemed like it made perfect sense , though some of the stuff they sell you is total BS.

jake2250

Comifornia

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/19 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Caulk,, THE MOST important part of your thread!
Every Spring and Fall, check the caulk!
Clean it with acetone and refill the cracks. I suggest taking the time to use a plastic putty knife and scrape a small "V" in a crack and fill with self leveling Dicore.

I had my first issue this fall, I thought I did a good job but developed a seam seam leak on the roof.
IN the rain I went up and cleaned and re filled a seam. So far so good!
But yeah,, Spring and Fall, Check the seams!

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our TT has LED awning lights as well as under the frame rope lights all the way around. We find them to be way too bright even when dimmed, plus they are a weird purple color. But we still wanted to be able to see, and there is no porch light.

My solution was to install a small, foot long white LED strip on the frame directly behind the steps. Fished a wire and added a switch inside the entry door. Lights the step and the area under the awning just enough, and even if I forget to shut it off, it's not going to bother the neighbors, even if they're in a tent.

Those who need help finding their rig when walking back from the shower house at night, can use the old "jumper wire in the 7-way plug" trick to run their marker lights.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jake2250 wrote:

Caulk,, THE MOST important part of your thread!
Every Spring and Fall, check the caulk!
Clean it with acetone and refill the cracks. I suggest taking the time to use a plastic putty knife and scrape a small "V" in a crack and fill with self leveling Dicore.

I had my first issue this fall, I thought I did a good job but developed a seam seam leak on the roof.
IN the rain I went up and cleaned and re filled a seam. So far so good!
But yeah,, Spring and Fall, Check the seams!

Dicor is good stuff, but it does need to be watched carefully, as you say. Eternabond tape is a better solution, IMHO, especially if you lay a small bead of Dicor around the edges of the tape.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used one of those red cones under my electric jack for the past 15 years and have had no problems whatsoever. It is very stable and I usually put it on top of a 2x8x12 board first.
If you look carefully, you can see it in the picture of our rig below.

As far as stabilization goes, we have never had a problem dealing with the little bit of "wiggle" from the suspension when we use the front and rear stabilizing jacks. If you want to get it out altogether, then I would use a couple of portable jacks in the middle just in front of the wheels or under the stairs on the frame. This is what we do when staying long term (3 or 4 months) down South in the winter. The jack stands are just aluminum and can be purchased quite cheaply and come two in a box.
Barney

Jack stands
[image]

Our rig
[image]

* This post was edited 12/29/19 10:05am by BarneyS *

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> *NEWB ALERT* question about TT up keep
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.