RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Better/safer to have only one w/d bar? Or none?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Better/safer to have only one w/d bar? Or none?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd leave one one.

The forces of a single bar are still mostly inline with the trailer, and your hitch system sees far more eccentric loading during normal turns with both bars hooked up. One bar gives you half WD so it still aids with traction on your steer tires.

I agree with Ben on the bunjee. Had to do that on my Hensley once. Worked fine.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ll just throw this out there.....there are about 100X more trailers the same size and weight as the OPs camper on the road every single day behind half ton trucks with NO WD bars.

You’ll be fine until you can repair the camper binky.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or view the Towing Limits thread just under this one. After seeing that, you won’t be worried...

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed my trailer without the Equal-I-zer bars a couple times. It towed fine but was more sensitive to passing semis and the like. Your trailer doesn't appear that it would be too much for a newer half ton. I have a similar truck and would go without. If you haven't already, consider airing truck tires to max, assuming they are the OEM P-metric.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

gandydancer

Northern IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/19 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towing with one is better than none. It is possible to overload truck hitch.

04.5 Dmax EC SB
04 Sunnybrook 2450

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you know your actual trailer tongue weight and truck receiver ratings, it will give you the answer whether you can tow without weight distribution torsion bars.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/19 11:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CarnationSailor wrote:

wing_zealot wrote:

trailernovice wrote:

Getting a repair or replacement can't happen until after our return leg later this week
Really??
What if your drawbar breaks because you've exceeded its rating? Just speculating on what the other side of the coin looks like.

Not sure, but I think the forces on a drawbar are about the same with or without a WDH. That is, I don't think the purpose of a WDH is to reduce the force on the drawbar.

It is not the same force. IF you were to look on your receiver. you should see 2 weights listed. One for WDH, and one for weight carrying (no WDH). the weight carrying will be about 500lbs. the WDH could be for 1,000 lb. depending on what your TV is rated to tow. In reality. You very well could break the receiver by towing with out a WDH.

OP. I would suggest you get a new WDh before towing home. With out the WDH, there is a good chance your TV won't like towing the trailer, and will be all over the road..

your choice. Pay about 450 dollars or take a chance on putting it in the ditch. there is a reason you need one.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 04:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All this drama over towing a 6K trailer 325 miles without a WDH, with a 1500 truck? Amazing.

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

All this drama over towing a 6K trailer 325 miles without a WDH, with a 1500 truck? Amazing.
The weight carrying rating on my F150 with the HDPP and the Max tow package (2500 lbs payload rated) is 500 lbs. Sticker with Weight carrying (500 lbs tongue wt., 5,000 lbs trailer wt) and Weight distributing (1320 lbs tongue, 13,200 lbs trailer wt) load rating is clearly posted on the vehicle hitch. So from your post you think it's ok for me to exceed that rating by a good bit. AMAZING! (I wonder what his insurance company would think of your opinion.)
I think I'll pass on accepting your opinion and go with the manufacturer's opinion instead. As for the OP, he should check out the manufacturer's rating on the hitch on his truck.

* This post was edited 12/30/19 06:12am by bid_time *

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/19 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bid_time wrote:

GDS-3950BH wrote:

The weight carrying rating on my F150 with the HDPP and the Max tow package (2500 lbs payload rated) is 500 lbs. Sticker with Weight carrying (500 lbs tongue wt., 5,000 lbs trailer wt) and Weight distributing (1320 lbs tongue, 13,200 lbs trailer wt) load rating is clearly posted on the vehicle hitch. So from your post you think it's ok for me to exceed that rating by a good bit. AMAZING! (I wonder what his insurance company would think of your opinion.)
I think I'll pass on accepting your opinion and go with the manufacturer's opinion instead. As for the OP, he should check out the manufacturer's rating on the hitch on his truck.

Yep, Yep. amazing how many are clueless about safe towing. A 6000lb TT will have a 720lb tongue weight, and will not only overload the hitch, but unload the front axle and can cause loss of control.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Better/safer to have only one w/d bar? Or none?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.