RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: double towing

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > double towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/31/19 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

TXiceman wrote:

This old horse has been beat to death more than once. Your drivers license is recognized and accepted by other states and that is where it stops. You MUST abide by the laws for weight, height, length, speed and towing for the state that you are traveling through.

Yes, some of you have towed illegally in states and did not get pulled over or be involved in an accident. That does not make it right, just means you are lucky.


I call it “Good Clean Livin” [emoticon]


This is a good example of a man that has a plan, prepared for any consequences. It is always the unprepared, relying on luck, that are unlucky. Must abide...more like should.

Jerry





roy67ss

Drumheller, Alberta

Full Member

Joined: 10/07/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/31/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...Your drivers license is recognized and accepted by other states and that is where it stops...


I am reading several places that this may not quite be true as it applies to double towing in California, and possibly some eastern states, be it commercial or RV. Many sites insist that you must have a commercial drivers license with doubles endorsement to tow a double trailer setup in California no matter where you come from and what is ok there for this combination.

I am looking for legal clarification not, what you have gotten away with while pulling thru Ca. I am sure lots of us would like to know.


Roy

2011 GMC 3500, Duramax, Allison
2008 HitchHiker LS 29.5 FKTG with most options


blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/31/19 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I truly wish BC would legalize double towing; it is a real PITA to travel with 2 vehicles to get the boat and fifth wheel to and from destinations.


2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/31/19 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

TXiceman wrote:

This old horse has been beat to death more than once. Your drivers license is recognized and accepted by other states and that is where it stops. You MUST abide by the laws for weight, height, length, speed and towing for the state that you are traveling through.

Yes, some of you have towed illegally in states and did not get pulled over or be involved in an accident. That does not make it right, just means you are lucky.


I call it “Good Clean Livin” [emoticon]


This is a good example of a man that has a plan, prepared for any consequences. It is always the unprepared, relying on luck, that are unlucky. Must abide...more like should.

Jerry


Yep I try to be prepared for most anything!


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Wadcutter

IL

Senior Member

Joined: 05/25/2004

View Profile



Posted: 12/31/19 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roy67ss wrote:


I am reading several places that this may not quite be true as it applies to double towing in California, and possibly some eastern states, be it commercial or RV. Many sites insist that you must have a commercial drivers license with doubles endorsement to tow a double trailer setup in California no matter where you come from and what is ok there for this combination.

I am looking for legal clarification not, what you have gotten away with while pulling thru Ca. I am sure lots of us would like to know.

Wherever you're reading that from doesn't even make sense if anyone even thinks about it just a bit. Think about it. If you're not from California and your state does not have a DL classification such as doubles endorsement then what do you think you can do when going into California? Get a California DL while traveling there? Nope, no can do because you aren't a California resident.
The US Supreme Court ruled decades ago that all states are mandated to recognize all other states' driver's licenses. So what ever state you're licensed in all other states have to recognize it. Such ruling applied only to driver's licenses and registration plates on the vehicles from other states.


Camped in every state


Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/01/20 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just don't feel the need to go to places where I can't double tow or carry.


2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/01/20 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bipeflier wrote:

I just don't feel the need to go to places where I can't double tow or carry.


Good points!

PastorCharlie

NC

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2004

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 01/01/20 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check this out:

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/02/state-laws-can-pull-you-in-many-directions-if-you-double-tow.html

roy67ss

Drumheller, Alberta

Full Member

Joined: 10/07/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/01/20 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wadcutter wrote:

roy67ss wrote:


I am reading several places that this may not quite be true as it applies to double towing in California, and possibly some eastern states, be it commercial or RV. Many sites insist that you must have a commercial drivers license with doubles endorsement to tow a double trailer setup in California no matter where you come from and what is ok there for this combination.

I am looking for legal clarification not, what you have gotten away with while pulling thru Ca. I am sure lots of us would like to know.

Wherever you're reading that from doesn't even make sense if anyone even thinks about it just a bit. Think about it. If you're not from California and your state does not have a DL classification such as doubles endorsement then what do you think you can do when going into California? Get a California DL while traveling there? Nope, no can do because you aren't a California resident.
The US Supreme Court ruled decades ago that all states are mandated to recognize all other states' driver's licenses. So what ever state you're licensed in all other states have to recognize it. Such ruling applied only to driver's licenses and registration plates on the vehicles from other states.


So, what doesn't make sense? California may allow it but, only for those that have a CDL with doubles endorsement from whatever state they are licensed. That does not necessarily mean that a person with a class 5 license that is legal to pull double in their state is also legal in California. Obviously, they are not legal in Oregon and Washington and neither is anyone, even with a CDL with doubles endorsement.

And when going into California you may well be required to drop one unit before entering and go back for it later just as you would need to do when going to Oregon or Washington.

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/01/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Strange that people talk about OR not recognizing a CDL with doubles endorsement. OR was the first place I ever saw a set of =triples=, I.e. 3 trailers behind the tractor. It was a while back, so things may have changed since then...

Lyle


2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > double towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.